• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metcam Networkers to be withdrawn at the end of the year?

JammyJames08

Hi all.

I’ve heard a rumour that all the remaining metcam networkers on southeastern will be withdrawn at the December timetable change.

Any truth in this?

JJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SEtrains

Hi all.

I’ve heard a rumour that all the remaining metcam networkers on southeastern will be withdrawn at the December timetable change.

Any truth in this?

JJ
I think we can put this rumour to rest for now as southeastern currently have no plans to retire them as confirmed below

LowLevel

Established Member
I think we can put this rumour to rest for now as southeastern currently have no plans to retire them as confirmed below
Why oh why do people think messaging social media teams who are nothing to do with anything of the sort constitutes an official answer for anything?

They're there to answer train running queries, they won't know or care about fleet planning for 9 months time.

You've confirmed nothing :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
Why oh why do people think messaging social media teams who are nothing to do with anything of the sort constitutes an official answer for anything?

They're there to answer train running queries, they won't know or care about fleet planning for 9 months time.

You've confirmed nothing :lol:
Indeed! We shall see what happens next, but given that the DfT control the purse strings anything remains to be seen (luckily there does seem to be some sense prevailing). But Social Media teams... They'll be the last to know.

brad465

Established Member
SE absolutely want to retire them, their boss has spoken openly about it to try and persuade government to approve a new fleet. The question is when they'll be able to without seriously compromising their stock numbers.

Mikey C

Established Member
A shame that the ones with the nicest interiors (the 465/9s) are Met-Cam examples rather than BREL ones.

Indeed why were Met-Cam examples chosen for the 465/9 upgrade?

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I hope not. Soon that incredible traction motor noise would be consigned to history. But if, that dark day is approaching when the MetCam sets will be abolished, does anyone know how to get tickets for the inevitable farewell tour? I missed the 455 one but absolutely won’t miss the Networker one.

brad465

Established Member
I hope not. Soon that incredible traction motor noise would be consigned to history. But if, that dark day is approaching when the MetCam sets will be abolished, does anyone know how to get tickets for the inevitable farewell tour? I missed the 455 one but absolutely won’t miss the Networker one.
They'll have to do 2 separate tours if the MetCam type is withdrawn distinctly earlier than the re-tractioned BREL ones, so they cover both types off when they each leave. It's worth remembering that while the MetCams look set to leave first, they did hold their original traction motors all along; the original BRELs were consigned to history after 15 years or so (although Armstrong Powerhouse brought it back to life on Train Simulator).

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
They'll have to do 2 separate tours if the MetCam type is withdrawn distinctly earlier than the re-tractioned BREL ones, so they cover both types off when they each leave. It's worth remembering that while the MetCams look set to leave first, they did hold their original traction motors all along; the original BRELs were consigned to history after 15 years or so (although Armstrong Powerhouse brought it back to life on Train Simulator).

It took me a long time to realise there was a difference in traction motor packages. I remember distinctively hearing the MetCam ones first when I was 4 upon departure of Brixton but it seemed every time I saw a Networker the noise was never quite how I remembered it - because I was hearing the BREL units. As I got older I sort of convinced myself I must have misremembered the sound of the first Networker I heard, but it wasn't until I got even older that I found out that there were actually two designs and I wasn't misremembering after all.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I shall be watching closely for a withdrawal date announcement and then inevitably spending far too much money chasing networkers around the southeast operating area as I something of a top man on these drains and will miss them a lot, there had better be some kind of farewell tour

CarrotPie

It took me a long time to realise there was a difference in traction motor packages. I remember distinctively hearing the MetCam ones first when I was 4 upon departure of Brixton but it seemed every time I saw a Networker the noise was never quite how I remembered it - because I was hearing the BREL units. As I got older I sort of convinced myself I must have misremembered the sound of the first Networker I heard, but it wasn't until I got even older that I found out that there were actually two designs and I wasn't misremembering after all.
I had the same thing: I remembered both motor sounds, but the door sounds from the BREL sets and the run sounds from the Met-Cam sets. I used to get them semi-regularly on the Gillingham-Charing X semi-fasts (RIP).

ScotGG

Established Member
The MetCam ones are far nicer inside and wasn't it stated more reliable than the BRELs despite retractioning?

Maybe lease costs are higher. The BRELs are dismal inside

brad465

Established Member
The MetCam ones are far nicer inside and wasn't it stated more reliable than the BRELs despite retractioning?

Maybe lease costs are higher. The BRELs are dismal inside
I don't know what the lease costs are but IIRC the leasing company for both MetCam Networkers and 707s is the same (Angel Trains), which made for an easy swap, and now half of them are in storage the natural thing to do is put the other half out of service once a replacement for them is sorted. Also I suspect key overhauls are more hassle on the MetCam units as they have to be taken to and from Doncaster for them; the BREL ones only left the region when it was for PRM refurbishment.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Hmm I do know of a refurbished 3rd rail fleet that’s going to sit idle soon. Maybe the 458s will be used after all. -NB this is just speculation on my part.

ScotGG

Established Member
Removing all MetCam 465s leaves 97 4-car BREL networkers. Not enough existing third rail stock to replace those anytime soon.

There's also 29 2-car Class 466s still running.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Removing all MetCam 465s leaves 97 4-car BREL networkers. Not enough existing third rail stock to replace those anytime soon.
Well, not without a capacity drop. The spare SWR 701s could go some way to removing more 465s.

brad465

Established Member
Well, not without a capacity drop. The spare SWR 701s could go some way to removing more 465s.
There are several problems with this: firstly, the 701s are being a right pain getting into service with SWR, second the 5/10 car setup is problematic regarding certain routes such that SE shouldn't have too many units of these lengths. Third, SE already have several microfleets that they really need to avoid picking up more, especially if they still cannot eliminate all the 465s from operations.

Mikey C

Established Member

There's also 29 2-car Class 466s still running.
Hence the suggestions of 377s moving from Southern as part of a wider cascade. Between the remaining 465s, 376s and 707s, SE has enough "metro" trains, the extra 377s can cover the sometime 465/9 routes into mid Kent.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There are several problems with this: firstly, the 701s are being a right pain getting into service with SWR
There are, but who is to say that those problems would exist on the Southeastern side?

Busman

Hence the suggestions of 377s moving from Southern as part of a wider cascade. Between the remaining 465s, 376s and 707s, SE has enough "metro" trains, the extra 377s can cover the sometime 465/9 routes into mid Kent.

This is insane. Southern have recently lost the 455s and 313s which means even now, surely, they are on the bones of their backsides with rolling stock? How will they cope with losing even more rolling stock? Unless there are plans for stock incoming to Southern that I have not read about?

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
This is insane. Southern have recently lost the 455s and 313s which means even now, surely, they are on the bones of their backsides with rolling stock? How will they cope with losing even more rolling stock? Unless there are plans for stock incoming to Southern that I have not read about?

I think we will get more 378s on Southern, with 379s replacing displaced 378s elsewhere.

bramling

Veteran Member

On the latter point, GN seem set to get the 379 fleet, which in turn will displace most or all of the GN 387 fleet south of the river. This has not yet been officially announced however:

Busman

I think we will get more 378s on Southern, with 379s replacing displaced 378s elsewhere.

I assume (and hope) you mean 387 and not the LO stock, that really would be the final insult, losing comfortable transverse seating to be replaced with uncomfortable longitudinal seating.

On the latter point, GN seem set to get the 379 fleet, which in turn will displace most or all of the GN 387 fleet south of the river. This has not yet been officially announced however:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've not been that side for some time, but does that stock have Southern seat moquette?

And looks-wise the 387s are similar in looks to the Southern's existing 377/6/7 class.

brad465

Established Member
Is there an offical source on the met cam withdrawal or is it just made up rumors?
Yes and no: yes in that half of them have been withdrawn and the other half will be at the earliest opportunity, but no in the sense that a date hasn't been confirmed for the rest. The discussion about them going by the end of this year seems to have originated from a speculated cascade in this thread.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Anything stored, will be joined by anything still in service. There will be no 465/2, 465/9 or 466 in use at the December timetable change.
Even though the reduction in the Southern fleet and services to lose the 455s and 313s appears to have gone fairly well, that is too big a reduction to make sense without something else backfilling at GTR other than just 379s.