• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metcam Networkers to be withdrawn at the end of the year?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes and no: yes in that half of them have been withdrawn and the other half will be at the earliest opportunity, but no in the sense that a date hasn't been confirmed for the rest. The discussion about them going by the end of this year seems to have originated from a speculated cascade in this thread.
Ive always wondered what southeastern have against the MetCams for them to be off lease before BRELs. Generally speaking , they are much better. They feature greater continuous acceleration rate, better internal environment, apparently a better miles per technical incident record, and overall , cleaner, despite the lack of percieved maintainence on all southeastern metro fleet

So i find that really strange.

CarrotPie

The WhatsApp person didn't know but they said the contact form people should know. It's under OLR anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to find out.
They got back to me:
I've enquired on your behalf with the Contract Managers within our Engineering team. However, I'm afraid they've advised that this isn't information we're able to disclose, as the details of lease contracts with the rolling stock companies are confidential and commercially sensitive.

bramling

Veteran Member
Ive always wondered what southeastern have against the MetCams for them to be off lease before BRELs. Generally speaking , they are much better. They feature greater continuous acceleration rate, better internal environment, apparently a better miles per technical incident record, and overall , cleaner, despite the lack of percieved maintainence on all southeastern metro fleet

Notwithstanding anything else, there aren’t as many of them (especially bearing in mind each class 466 is half the length of a 465). That will always put them at a disadvantage as if you are to cut costs getting rid of one part of a fleet is one way to make some savings, and it tends to be the minority fleet that goes.

Notwithstanding anything else, there aren’t as many of them (especially bearing in mind each class 466 is half the length of a 465). That will always put them at a disadvantage as if you are to cut costs getting rid of one part of a fleet is one way to make some savings, and it tends to be the minority fleet that goes.
Its a shame i guess. They seem to have a decent amount though. But yeah when it fomes to keeping timetables, they are the better train for sure.

Established Member

The Metcams were historically less reliable than the 0s and the 1s, but AIUI the tables were turned by the Hitachi traction package overhaul.

Clunkier to drive, with more awkward cab controls, and a less comfortable driving position than the BREL equivalent. The differences between such superficially similar units are extraordinary!

Robski_

Met Cam units have an ongoing issue causing bolster cracks which need to be repaired at Doncaster. There are also issues with sourcing parts for the units.