• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metro: Commuters furious after train driver misses scheduled stop at station

Status
Not open for further replies.

northern156

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/13/train...ting-to-stop-at-station-4947356/?ito=facebook

Commuters were stunned after a train driver ‘forgot’ to make a scheduled stop at a station.

Passengers heading home on an evening London Victoria to Brighton service missed their destination following the blunder.

Amanda Akass, 30, from Hayward’s Heath, said the driver apologised over the intercom for ‘forgetting to stop’ at Preston Park Station.

She added: ‘You often hear announcements explaining you can’t stop at a station because of another reason but not because of something like this.’

Train operator Southern apologised for the blunder.

A spokesperson said: ‘We would like to apologise to passengers travelling on the 17.06 Victoria to Brighton service on Tuesday, who were expecting to alight at Preston Park.

‘Due to an error on the part of the driver, the train did not call at Preston Park as scheduled and continued to Brighton where passengers were advised to catch the next train north to Preston Park.

‘This kind of error happens rarely, but when it does, we know it can be frustrating for our passengers.’

Poor passengers who had to suffer the ordeal of the tiring journey from Brighton to Preston Park, you've really got to feel sorry for them sometimes. [/sarcasm]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bishopstone

Established Member
http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/13/train...ting-to-stop-at-station-4947356/?ito=facebook

Poor passengers who had to suffer the ordeal of the tiring journey from Brighton to Preston Park, you've really got to feel sorry for them sometimes. [/sarcasm]

It's not the worst inconvenience in the world, but nevertheless - away from the enthusiasts armchair - real people have offspring to retrieve from child minders, elderly folk to visit in hospital, evening committee meetings etc. And aside from that, after a day at work, a further twenty minutes wasted is unwelcome.

Or do you think they should have been pleased to record the extra mileage in their notebooks? [/sarcasm]

bramling

Veteran Member
It's not the worst inconvenience in the world, but nevertheless - away from the enthusiasts armchair - real people have offspring to retrieve from child minders, elderly folk to visit in hospital, evening committee meetings etc. And aside from that, after a day at work, a further twenty minutes wasted is unwelcome.

Or do you think they should have been pleased to record the extra mileage in their notebooks? [/sarcasm]

As you say, not the worst thing to happen in life, and extremely rare. Can't see why it's really newsworthy to be honest. Yes an inconvenience, but get on with it, there's far worse things that can happen in life.

KeithP

As you say, not the worst thing to happen in life, and extremely rare. Can't see why it's really newsworthy to be honest. Yes an inconvenience, but get on with it, there's far worse things that can happen in life.

It's newsworthy simply because it is, as you say, extremely rare.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's a 4 minute journey from Brighton back up to Preston Park so hardly the end of the world. Not the same as missing a stop on the WCML.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I make the delay 36 minutes (unless a special stop order was organised)., comparing the actual arrival time 1841 to scheduled 1805.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The headline says 'furious' but I don't see any evidence of that in the actual story! It's a bit short on rants compared to similar media efforts.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The headline says 'furious' but I don't see any evidence of that in the actual story! It's a bit short on rants compared to similar media efforts.
Another example of the half-a**ed media taking a cheap shot at the railway then?

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I've done it, not once but about 7 times over a 29 year driving career. Easy to misread a schedule, especially at the end of a long shift.

Of course office people (note the lack of the Wo*k word) don't make mistakes now do they? :roll:

Squaddie

"Commuters furious after being delayed half an hour" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, so why not take a shot at the driver for making a (relatively) minor error.
Is missing a scheduled stop really a "minor error"? Why wasn't the driver paying attention?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Is missing a scheduled stop really a "minor error"? Why wasn't the driver paying attention?
That's why I included the word 'relatively'. Yes he'll have a meeting and yes he'll have to explain himself but is it really such a big deal for the Metro that it's even worth reporting, let alone with such a negative spin on it?

Antman

Established Member
I was on a South Eastern train a few years ago and after leaving Woolwich Arsenal the driver forgot to stop at Plumstead and went fast to Abbey Wood, he made a very apologetic announcement and everyone seemed to see the funny side, as far as I'm aware it didn't make the local press

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Of course it is not a big deal. The driver apologised, the company apologised, the pax would be eligible for some compensation assuming yorkie's information is correct. What else does anyone expect to be done?

It is the Metro after all so any headline to raise eyebrows goes.

I see no evidence of "furious" as they claimed, otherwise they would have included them, even if it is just by quoting an angry punter.

Sh*t happens, as they say. We don't live in an ideal world.

GadgetMan

Just look at the odd stopping patterns on some services, we're human, it happens.

Ever get to the bottom of your road driving at the weekend and turn right towards work instead of left towards the local supermarket? Go into a room to get something and forget what you were after when you get there?

Oxfordblues

It could of course have been so much worse: if he'd failed to stop at Brighton rather than Preston Park!

6Gman

Established Member
I've done it, not once but about 7 times over a 29 year driving career. Easy to misread a schedule, especially at the end of a long shift.

Of course office people (note the lack of the Wo*k word) don't make mistakes now do they? :roll:

Yes we do!

(Or in my case, yes I did ...)

We too have our "tea, no biscuits" chats. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It could of course have been so much worse: if he'd failed to stop at Brighton rather than Preston Park!

[Hunts for like button :D]

"Does this train stop at Holyhead?"

"I hope so or we'll all be very wet."

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yep, office workers are like everyone else, they make mistakes and, depending ont eh severity of it, may face disciplinary action and dismissal.

The main difference, of course is that such errors aren't likely to kill anyone, but they can still cause inconvenience to customers, as well as embarrassment and financial costs to the company.

PeterC

Established Member
Ever get to the bottom of your road driving at the weekend and turn right towards work instead of left towards the local supermarket?
Got the t-shirt!

northern156

I was quite surprised to not see any interviews with angry (sorry, furious) commuters saying that they pay enough for their season ticket already and the company are taking their custom for granted, that sort of stuff :)

Southern Dvr

There are many many factors associated with operating incidents. Some include; personal issues, preconditioning (driving several trains over the route with the same calling pattern & then this one potentially), distraction in cab (MITRAC, route learner, sometimes even a manager in the cab can be a distraction) or it could be a misread diagram.

The list goes on, but it's not as simple as it first seems. Personally I use mitigation techniques to try and prevent such an occurrence & I suspect the driver will be given a 'coaching plan' which will include mitigation tools to prevent a reoccurrence.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Everybody seems to be "furious" in tabloid land these days. Nobody ever seems to be "irritated", "miffed" or even "slightly annoyed", which would of course be a far more logical reaction to this incident.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Very true Captain Haddock! Of course, using more realistic words such as those you mention will not help Metro to engage with its readership, much of whom are furious commuters even when nothing delays them! ;) :lol:

Sheepy1209

Everybody seems to be "furious" in tabloid land these days. Nobody ever seems to be "irritated", "miffed" or even "slightly annoyed", which would of course be a far more logical reaction to this incident.

I suggest you take a look at the 'Angry People in Local Newspapers' blog for some amusing tales of rage about wheelie bins, apoplexy about dog poo etc etc.

VisualAcid

What I've always wondered is how the signalling deals with this? Is it just acknowledged that the trains gone pretty early?

G136GREYHOUND

Ha, ha, ha, dee, ha, If you knew the slightest thing about what you comment on, you would have ample idea why a driver can miss a stop.

I'm not supplying you with the manifold reasons why, do your own research, or try the job yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.