• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metro Train 4001

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Harrison

People refer to 4001 as the prototype train... is this true? I'v noticed differences from the prototype trains and the final trains. Or is there a difference between prototypes 4001 and 4002?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
Metrocars 4001 and 4002 are indeed the prototype units for the Tyne and Wear Metro and underwent extensive testing on the North Tyneside test track, which is now the preserved North Tyneside Steam Raiway, prior to construction/conversion of the Metro network being completed.

As far as I know, 4001 and 4002 are identical: They originally differed from the 88 production Metrocars by having end doors, as per the original German design and a few other differences, but they were rebuilt to be more in line with the production vehicles prior to entering passenger service on the Metro network. They still exhibit a few differences to the other Metrocars, one of the most noticeable for passengers being the different push buttons for the entrance doors.

Established Member
They originally came with doors at the front to allow for quick evacuation when in tunnels. However I think it was changed when they put the walkways to the sides in the tunnels, which did away with the need for doors at the front. If you look at 4001 and 02, they look slightly different to the rest, which were built without that door. The type of pantograph was also changed for the rest of the fleet, and then changed on 01 and 02. Apart from that the only other changes include the doors (locks, buttons and opening mechanism) and the grab handles on the front, some of which were removed to stop children 'surfing' the trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.