• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink are NOT offering free travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Apparently a fake poster has been put up at some Metrolink stops

Metrolink said:
Whilst it's true that we love our customers (we really do), we are not offering free, unlimited travel this weekend on Metrolink. If you are travelling on Metrolink this weekend you need a ticket to travel.This is a fake poster not authorised by or associated with Metrolink.

DWEaIoIX4AADGBc.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think may have gone the wrong way on this one...much as it is being done by someone as a joke (to get a load of people PFs), how about the huge publicity boost they would get from actually honouring it?

pdeaves

Established Member
I think may have gone the wrong way on this one...much as it is being done by someone as a joke (to get a load of people PFs), how about the huge publicity boost they would get from actually honouring it?

That's fine to a point, until people cotton on and swamp the system with fake posters/publicity to 'try it on' for free travel all the time. "But you honoured it last time".

rebmcr

Established Member
The smart strategy is to say it's not allowed, and privately instruct RPIs to allow it.

Anyone know whether that was what happened?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The smart strategy is to say it's not allowed, and privately instruct RPIs to allow it.

Anyone know whether that was what happened?

It's not for 2 days yet :)

Yes, it might not be a terrible idea to say it's not allowed but then give the RPIs the weekend off. No arguments then, but not quite as big a loss of income. And nobody need ever know, as you don't encounter an RPI on every trip.

(For a very long time MK's parking wardens did not work bank holidays, so parking was all free. I never quite understood why the charges didn't remain in force but with no enforcement, as most people would still have paid anyway).

pemma

Veteran Member
looks fairly convincing to me

Indeed. I also wonder how they got the image of it, while the resolution doesn't look that good it doesn't look like it's a scan or photo of something that's been stuck up at a Metrolink stop and then removed.

pemma

Veteran Member
That's fine to a point, until people cotton on and swamp the system with fake posters/publicity to 'try it on' for free travel all the time. "But you honoured it last time".

That's almost what happened with Royal Mail. The first Christmas after they introduced large letter sizes, they waived excess postage charges for what liked Christmas cards with underpaid postage but without publicising it. The next Christmas people were calling for them to do the same.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is the second forum I've said this in ... the apostrophe should arguably not be there, but given that it is there, it's the wrong way round.
It's also upside-down.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
lf you look in the brown area at the bottom it has Terms and conditions for some sort of Off peak unlimited travel ticket, dates 2011, so that is also some sort of giveaway that it isn’t real.

83G/84D

Established Member
Having used Metrolink fairly extensively last weekend I never saw one member of staff undergoing ticket checks either at a station or on board.

WatcherZero

Established Member
They tend to board to do ticket checks just outside the city centre and randomly within the city centre as well as at fare evasion hotspots.

Bwsbro

They do like to be around Piccadilly late on Friday & Saturday night. However once I was lucky to get a free ride on the last tram of the evening, as the inspector told me to get on or walk home

Status
Not open for further replies.