• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink M5000 Fleet Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyb2706

Hi all,

It seems to have been an age ago when Metrolink 3013 tram was involved in it's argument with the road vehicle, any news on it's return? Or have I totally missed something regarding this tram?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It should be back in service any time now; the accident was in February 2013!

Talk about superstition, tram 3013 involved in a collision in 2013!

Boysteve

On a similar topic 3062 has been out of service (or did it ever enter service) after being robbed of parts to keep other vehicles going. However I saw 3062 moving around Trafford Depot under it's own power on Monday 26th May.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
On a similar topic 3062 has been out of service (or did it ever enter service) after being robbed of parts to keep other vehicles going. However I saw 3062 moving around Trafford Depot under it's own power on Monday 26th May.

Yeah was going to mention. It was delivered but was used as spares. Hasn't seen service yet but Metrolink have stated that they're preparing it.

andyb2706

Thanks Dan, 3013 is a stand out gap in my logs, but hopefully not for much longer.

Never realised about 3062......see I go around with my eyes closed at times. :)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thanks Dan, 3013 is a stand out gap in my logs, but hopefully not for much longer.

Never realised about 3062......see I go around with my eyes closed at times. :)

Yeah mine too! Should be returning to service soon!

As for 3062, I didn't know this either!

34D

Established Member
There's a pic of 3062 on the T68 facebook group (goodness knows why)

theblackwatch

Established Member
3062 was back in traffic last week when I was over in Manchester. I believe 3084 is the highest numbered example in traffic at the moment, although I'm not sure if any (other than the aforementioned 3013 which had an accident on 6th Feb 2013) of the 3001-3084 batch are 'missing' from the active fleet.

507 001

Established Member
3062 has been back in service for a few months now.
3013 is still in queens road shed, still in several pieces.

3085 is now in service too.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks for the updates, I too managed a trip on 3085 last weekend (along with several others - the only one in service I've yet to record a journey on is 3084, which I saw which I was heading in the opposite direction).

theblackwatch

Established Member
A friend of mine noted 3087 at Queens Road depot earlier this week, any advances on that?

Manchester77

Established Member
A friend of mine noted 3087 at Queens Road depot earlier this week, any advances on that?

Nope 3087 is the latest tram to arrive, it's been noted 3086 is being prepared for service. 3087 will be stabled at Queens Road probably with its destination blind fully lit up all orange if it's outside and on.

Boysteve

According to local BBC news this morning Metrolink are about to confirm the purchase of a further 16 new trams. Have they beefed up the top up order of 12 trams already announced in July? Or is it another 16 on top these 12? If it's the latter we shall have an M5000 fleet of 132 yellow perils!

Manchester77

Established Member
According to local BBC news this morning Metrolink are about to confirm the purchase of a further 16 new trams. Have they beefed up the top up order of 12 trams already announced in July? Or is it another 16 on top these 12? If it's the latter we shall have an M5000 fleet of 132 yellow perils!

They had until the end of August to put in an additional order at the same price as before. It's to be an extra order on top of the 12, I expect the TfGMC will say why the extra trams have been ordered in their next meeting to keep a look out

Boysteve

They had until the end of August to put in an additional order at the same price as before. It's to be an extra order on top of the 12, I expect the TfGMC will say why the extra trams have been ordered in their next meeting to keep a look out

Ah thanks for the clarification. Hopefully they will say "...the order is to ease overcrowding that we know really annoys all of our regular customers"!

subject1

I think the trams are the 12 that they have already announced in July but are now procuring 16 instead. From the meeting papers they have included the 16 as part of the "Metrolink Service Improvement Package" which is what was funded in July.

Manchester77

Established Member
I think the trams are the 12 that they have already announced in July but are now procuring 16 instead. From the meeting papers they have included the 16 as part of the "Metrolink Service Improvement Package" which is what was funded in July.

This is interesting, Metrolink Service Improvement Package will be the first of the Growth Deal schemes to proceed to implementation and its been through the usual refinement process. More updated detail available.

Now I said before that under the initial plan 12 trams were being looked at for ordering which would take it from 104 to 116 orders. However they are now looking at ordering upto 16 trams and keeping under review the costs of ordering the full extended depot capacity of 135 trams.

The M5000 assembly line is a dedicated line purely for the Manchester type due to the customised nature of high floor, the current deadline for further orders is the end of this month, if trams are not ordered until April 2015 then £3.5m of extra costs will be incurred for break of production, these costs would then rise again after April. So TfGM wants the GMCA to approve the order now. If placed the deadline for new orders would then be a further 6 months, there are options remaining to order 37 trams (including this 16) but there is only enough depot capacity for a further 31. TfGM have negotiated a 6% discount on the first LRV tender winning (2008) price for this batch (similar discounts negotiated for previous batches). Value engineering during the length of the production run has also realised further savings of 1.3% compared to the first order.

Other contract changes for this new batch include reliability target of 30,000 miles between service affecting failures after 12 months rather than 26 months, endemic or epidemic faults will now be included in the reliability target rather than being excluded, all parts from Bombardier and Vossloh Kiepe now included in the performance target, vehicles which dont achieve their target annual operating mileage (i.e. stored) will no long nullify the reliability target.

Program breaks down as:
Light Rail Vehicles £34.3m
Two substations 4.2
Turnback at Sale 1.1
LRV wheel lathe 1.0
Design and project management costs 2.9
Package risk allowance 0.9
Total £44.4m

http://www.agma.gov.uk/cms_media/fil...ugust_2014.pdf
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=116675644&postcount=32961
Hopefully this should shed some light for you :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Nope 3087 is the latest tram to arrive, it's been noted 3086 is being prepared for service. 3087 will be stabled at Queens Road probably with its destination blind fully lit up all orange if it's outside and on.

I have been advised that 3086 is now in traffic.

Boysteve

Indeed it is, not for long and as with the rest of the recently commissioned fleet it's limited to TMS routes

Right I can see a big problem coming! There are too many TMS only trams for the network once Victoria reopens, they will have to keep Eccles and Ashton connected rather than go back to Bury & Ashton due to the balance of the TMS only and go anywhere fleets. Obviously this could be resolved if over the next couple of months either;

1) Victoria reopens with TMS installed to Irk Valley so that TMS only units can operate E'Dids to Rochdale services.

or
2) Timperley to Alty goes over to TMS so that Picadilly - Alty service can be made up of TMS only units too.

Manchester77

Established Member
Right I can see a big problem coming! There are too many TMS only trams for the network once Victoria reopens, they will have to keep Eccles and Ashton connected rather than go back to Bury & Ashton due to the balance of the TMS only and go anywhere fleets. Obviously this could be resolved if over the next couple of months either;

1) Victoria reopens with TMS installed to Irk Valley so that TMS only units can operate E'Dids to Rochdale services.

or
2) Timperley to Alty goes over to TMS so that Picadilly - Alty service can be made up of TMS only units too.

Not really, the TMS units will be used on the airport - Cornbrook service, in any case Irk Valley is being done now with variable speed limits installed at the Queens Road tunnel and the Smedley being tested.

507 001

Established Member
Timperley to Altrincham TMS is a loooong time off....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Btw 3013 is still sat in QRD shed, it appears to be heavily stripped and at least one end is on an ambulance bogey.

familyguy99

Timperley to Altrincham TMS is a loooong time off....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Btw 3013 is still sat in QRD shed, it appears to be heavily stripped and at least one end is on an ambulance bogey.

I wonder if this tram will still be out of action two years after accident happened? (February 2013)

Also it been confirm that Metrolink will have 120 M5000 trams by 2017 as extra 16 M5000 trams have been order.

Metrolink Passengers set for a boost with order for 16 new trams

Greater Manchester’s Metrolink passengers are set to benefit from a £34 million deal for 16 new trams which will provide extra space and capacity across the network.

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_centre/Pages/News.aspx?articleId=528

neilmc

Spotted 3088 on driver training at Harbour City this week. Is that the newest?

familyguy99

3090 tram have arrival at Queen Road depot on Saturday and 3089 tram is now in service and here it is at Deansgate-Castlefield stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.