• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metrolink manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rob001uk

Just got a letter through the post inviting me to an assessment day at Trafford on the 15th December :D It does sound like a more extended day than previous ones though, as it is first thing in the morning until 4pm and includes both climbing in and out of a tram AND driving it, as well as a formal interview thrown in for good measure!

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Assessment Day Dec 15th!!!! I was rather surprised to find the very same letter, given that 1500 people had applied for the post! I do feel somewhat lucky to get through to the assessment day!

Time to start swatting up on the SCATT test

Anyway All the best to all :D

Established Member
Does anyone know how many drivers they will be looking for in this round?

A little bird (maybe Mimi Le Bonque from Allo Allo, or Anne Robinson) suggests it may be 9 a month, until some point about 7/8 months away.

Could be wrong ;)

beavercreek

Just like to say good luck to you both.I applied for this vacancy back in the Summer and have gone through the assessment and passed.
It was a fantastic experience and the staff at Metrolink were all very helpful and accommodating.
I would strongly advise that you practise all of the tests mentioned earlier in this thread.
Good Luck.

rob001uk

Just like to say good luck to you both.I applied for this vacancy back in the Summer and have gone through the assessment and passed.
It was a fantastic experience and the staff at Metrolink were all very helpful and accommodating.
I would strongly advise that you practise all of the tests mentioned earlier in this thread.
Good Luck.

Cheers for that. I'm going to get practicing and praying!! If it's not too cheeky to ask, what kinds of questions did they put to you in the interview?

Mattmatt

Cheers for that. I'm going to get practicing and praying!! If it's not too cheeky to ask, what kinds of questions did they put to you in the interview?

Also, was it just the SCAAT or the DOTS tests they used for the assessment? As i'd read earlier on it was just the SCAAT test.

Any helpful tips and pointers would be very helpful.

thanks in advance.

beavercreek

As mentioned before there is a dials test and reading/writing test.These are OPC material.Then follows a Scaat test and maths/English test and then an interview.Most people went home after the Scaat test and the interview is based upon a CBI so the questions were "Describe a time when...".
I would advise that you LISTEN to everything they tell and read everything carefully!

Mattmatt

As mentioned before there is a dials test and reading/writing test.These are OPC material.Then follows a Scaat test and maths/English test and then an interview.Most people went home after the Scaat test and the interview is based upon a CBI so the questions were "Describe a time when...".
I would advise that you LISTEN to everything they tell and read everything carefully!

CBI - Competency based Interview, check

But what is OPC an acronym for? just tried searching on the web for what it means, and couldn't really find anything; other than web based diagnostic things etc, any help?

cheers:D

Last edited:

rob001uk

CBI - Competency based Interview, check

But what is OPC an acronym for? just tried searching on the web for what it means, and couldn't really find anything; other than web based diagnostic things etc, any help?

cheers:D

It'll be tests designed by these guys... http://www.theopc.co.uk/tests/transport/ .

Having looked at all the tests they can use and sample cbi questions, I am somewhat scared now!!

Can I just check, are all the tests paper based? I ask as I seem to be much better as scaat on paper than on computer!

Last edited:

rob001uk

Once downloaded, you can choose on this programme from SCAAT and GBT. Is this something you're looking for? http://www.digital-reality.org.uk/

Hi, thanks for that. I did have a look on there, but they don't seem to provide the programme any more (the download button doesn't do anything; maybe that's just my computer :$). It would appear you only get it now when you sign up to one of how2become's suites of tests, which I found out by accident! I've got it that way anyway and been practicing on it all morning :) Much more practice is required though as I only get about 6 lines down on each sheet in the time limit... I literally don't seem to be able to press the across arrow fast enough! :o

LCC106

Established Member
rob001uk I couldn't download to Mac but managed to Dell although couldn't find it at first! I too get to 6 or 7 lines. Keep practising!

Clunk

Don't know if this will help or not...

I did my assessment day in August. Time had run over, so interviews were done a couple of weeks later.

To any candidates, by way of assistance, all I can say is that all the staff at Metrolink were fantastic - really supportive, really encouraging, really welcoming. It made me think all the more that this was a place I wanted to work - very positive all round.

We were guided through how to complete the tests - I went in blind, with no idea what the tests were or what was expected.

My advice would be - relax, stay calm, stay focussed on the actual test you are doing - at the time (so not stressing over what you did or didn't do right on the previous test)

Personally, I am not sure (haven't clicked the links above) how you could practice the tests. Just do what you can do, don't panic.

It was, I guess, a brutal experience - as the half day (at the time) went on, we were whittled down as people fell at various stages. We all commented it was like being on X factor and wondering what 'group' you were in.

I can't speak for any changes about the process and what may or may not now be included in the assessment day. We did the tests and then went home, called later on to book interviews. I know the morning candidates were interviewed the same day.

As for the interview - answer honestly - that was what I did. Sorry if that is not much help, but it is all I can offer. Sorry, again, if that seems smug, but there is no benefit to anyone in giving 'appropriate' answers.

I had my medical a couple of weeks ago (I was forewarned that the timescale would be 'slow' at this stage) and I am pleased and proud to say that I am just waiting to get my written contract, having been advised by phone that I have been successful. I am due to start my training in January.

As stated above, the best advice I can give is stay calm - keep a cool head - do what you can do and be honest and truthful.

I wish you all the best of luck. It has, for me, been a drawn out process, but I must say that Metrolink have been open and frank about timescales all the way through. It is only my angst to have it in writing now (so I can give notice to my current employer) that has been pressing on my mind - I want to see it in black and white, on paper, then I will be able to truly smile and say 'I did it !!!'.

Keep positive - I have wanted this for years.

Sorry, cos reading back this was probably no help at all !

LCC106

Established Member
Hi Clunk, really useful info - especially for those who may not have been there before. Well done! Great news!

rob001uk

Yes that was very useful. It does really help explain how they run their assessment day, so thank you for posting it. Congratulations on passing it all as well :D

Bubba

Don't know if this will help or not...

I did my assessment day in August. Time had run over, so interviews were done a couple of weeks later.

To any candidates, by way of assistance, all I can say is that all the staff at Metrolink were fantastic - really supportive, really encouraging, really welcoming. It made me think all the more that this was a place I wanted to work - very positive all round.

We were guided through how to complete the tests - I went in blind, with no idea what the tests were or what was expected.

My advice would be - relax, stay calm, stay focussed on the actual test you are doing - at the time (so not stressing over what you did or didn't do right on the previous test)

Personally, I am not sure (haven't clicked the links above) how you could practice the tests. Just do what you can do, don't panic.

It was, I guess, a brutal experience - as the half day (at the time) went on, we were whittled down as people fell at various stages. We all commented it was like being on X factor and wondering what 'group' you were in.

I can't speak for any changes about the process and what may or may not now be included in the assessment day. We did the tests and then went home, called later on to book interviews. I know the morning candidates were interviewed the same day.

As for the interview - answer honestly - that was what I did. Sorry if that is not much help, but it is all I can offer. Sorry, again, if that seems smug, but there is no benefit to anyone in giving 'appropriate' answers.

I had my medical a couple of weeks ago (I was forewarned that the timescale would be 'slow' at this stage) and I am pleased and proud to say that I am just waiting to get my written contract, having been advised by phone that I have been successful. I am due to start my training in January.

As stated above, the best advice I can give is stay calm - keep a cool head - do what you can do and be honest and truthful.

I wish you all the best of luck. It has, for me, been a drawn out process, but I must say that Metrolink have been open and frank about timescales all the way through. It is only my angst to have it in writing now (so I can give notice to my current employer) that has been pressing on my mind - I want to see it in black and white, on paper, then I will be able to truly smile and say 'I did it !!!'.

Keep positive - I have wanted this for years.

Sorry, cos reading back this was probably no help at all !

Well done Clunk, I am chuffed for you. I am still bitter about my experiences with them but they will never please everyone.

rob001uk

Sorry with all the questions, but does anyone know if Metrolink's Scaat test is on paper or on computer? Or, for those who've done it already, do you remember how many minutes per sheet you were allowed? I'm doing plenty of practicing for it but would just like to make it as close as possible to the actual set-up. Thanks in advance (although I do appreciate that it may be one question too far!)

beavercreek

The Scaat test is on paper.I practised on a computer but found the paper version a bit easier.I was completing about 9 lines per page on the computer version with One mistake and maybe Two omissions per test.The Scaat test is Three sheets per test which are One minute each,the test consists of Three sub tests so the whole process is Nine minutes long.
Hope this helps.

rob001uk

That's a great help. Thank you very much for that. I was hoping it would be on paper, so that's a bit of a relief actually!

Oddball

Wooo hooo!! I've just got my letter through for the assessment day on the 22nd. To say I’m chuffed is an understatement. Time to swat up on the scaat test. One question though, it asks to wear suitable shoes. Does this mean steely shoes or will normal shoes do?
Oh and good luck to everyone going.:D

rob001uk

Wooo hooo!! I've just got my letter through for the assessment day on the 22nd. To say I’m chuffed is an understatement. Time to swat up on the scaat test. One question though, it asks to wear suitable shoes. Does this mean steely shoes or will normal shoes do?

Well done mate! I've got mine on the 15th and was wondering about the footwear thing too (amazing how small things can dwell on your mind before something like this, lol), and also whether to bother wearing a suit, seeing as part of the assessment is climbing into a tram :?

Mattmatt

Well done Oddball! all the best for it. In the realms of suitable footwear, I was actually going to wear my steel toecaps (all cleaned & shiny) cobbled with smart trousers etc. I'm kinda hope it will work!

I think the sensible shoes thing just means no flip flops and the like. Basically something that ties. When I did mine people turned up in jeans, tee shirts and trainers (and did better than me by all accounts!!

Bubba

I wore a suit and best shoes and got through to the interview stage. I think the thing about footwear is more aimed at women to ensure they dont turn up in high heels. One of the practical tests is climining aboard a tram from the sidings (not platform). It is straightforward...as long as wearing flat and sensible footwear.

Clunk

I wore a shirt and tie and 'suit' trousers - I am old school and can't help but stick with the old 'never get a second chance to make a first impression' addage, though as RRV Pilot says, other people were in jeans and tee-shirts and some had clearly come straight from other jobs. Most importantly, I would say be sure that you feel comfortable in what you are wearing, so that it doesn't distract or disturb you through the tests.

As for shoes, I agree that I think it is mainly aimed at women with regards to wearing high heels. There was no need for steelies - just something that you can climb in and out of a tram in (as stated above - from the sidings not the platform... there is a joke in here somewhere about platform shoes (I am showing my age again !!)) :oops:

Mattmatt

Well assessment afternoon was as follows.

• Driving licence check
  • Mobility test (Basically climbing in and out of a unit fom the ground)
  • The Dials test
  • Rules test
  • Brief break - those that failed the first two tests were asked to leave at this point
  • SCATT test (Shapes not dots)
  • Metrolink own test (Basic maths + English)
  • Interview

Now this might sound like one of thickest questions posed on here! But when it says basic Maths + English test; does anyone know what we are talking about? any examples CLUNK, RRV? totally basic e.g 749 - 342 = kinda things or something else?

:D

The basic English was to write a description of your journey to the assessment centre and is looking for grammar and spelling. The maths was two part. 1st using a fare table to look up fares eg. what is the total price for an adult and child from point a to point b.
2nd was a tram map with a few stations showing the distance in time between the stations with questions like if a tram leaves station A at 1000 makes a normal journey to G what time will it pass station B on its return.

Hope that makes sense as I'm typing on my phone at work!! :D

Mattmatt

The basic English was to write a description of your journey to the assessment centre and is looking for grammar and spelling. The maths was two part. 1st using a fare table to look up fares eg. what is the total price for an adult and child from point a to point b.
2nd was a tram map with a few stations showing the distance in time between the stations with questions like if a tram leaves station A at 1000 makes a normal journey to G what time will it pass station B on its return.

Hope that makes sense as I'm typing on my phone at work!! :D

Yep makes every sense! thank you RRV Pilot, much appreciated.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.