• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 from Southeastern

naj1995

My partner just received an MG11 from Southeastern on a train from Abbey Wood to Deptford as she didn’t have a ticket.

I’m aware she will get a letter threatening prosecution that gives her the chance to offer to pay the fare plus any costs (I’ve just read through loads of threads on here where that seems to be the answer!) but am wondering if anyone could advise on roughly how much we should expect that to be?

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 86
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
My partner just received an MG11 from Southeastern on a train from Abbey Wood to Deptford as she didn’t have a ticket.

I’m aware she will get a letter threatening prosecution that gives her the chance to offer to pay the fare plus any costs (I’ve just read through loads of threads on here where that seems to be the answer!) but am wondering if anyone could advise on roughly how much we should expect that to be?
There's no guarantee that your partner will be offered the chance to settle out of court, but if they co-operate with the railway it's a likely outcome.

And a likely settlement figure will be the Anytime single fare (which appears to be £27.80 from Strood to Deptford) plus the cost of the railway's investigation - which tends to be £150 or so. So budget for around £200 and anything less will be a bonus.

naj1995

There's no guarantee that your partner will be offered the chance to settle out of court, but if they co-operate with the railway it's a likely outcome.

And a likely settlement figure will be the Anytime single fare (which appears to be £27.80 from Strood to Deptford) plus the cost of the railway's investigation - which tends to be £150 or so. So budget for around £200 and anything less will be a bonus.
Thank you for replying

Grvrdvicdr

I find it interesting they’ve issued an MG for a simple no ticket. From when I was SE revenue, if it was a case of what they call “no money no ticket admitted” then I have never known one to be settled out of court

She had no ticket but did she also say she didn’t have the means to purchase one either? As travelling without a ticket or means to purchase one is blatantly obvious it was her intention to avoid paying her fare. This makes it incredibly easy for them to prosecute her for the offence as is basically a pro forma and they just have to fill in her personal details then Job done.

I’d love to know the outcome of this one as personally I can’t see it being settled, at least from my day these Southeastern like to make an example of, they’d block book court and would be hours of these pro formar MGs being heard

naj1995

I find it interesting they’ve issued an MG for a simple no ticket. From when I was SE revenue, if it was a case of what they call “no money no ticket admitted” then I have never known one to be settled out of court

She had no ticket but did she also say she didn’t have the means to purchase one either? As travelling without a ticket or means to purchase one is blatantly obvious it was her intention to avoid paying her fare. This makes it incredibly easy for them to prosecute her for the offence as is basically a pro forma and they just have to fill in her personal details then Job done.

I’d love to know the outcome of this one as personally I can’t see it being settled, at least from my day these Southeastern like to make an example of, they’d block book court and would be hours of these pro formar MGs being heard
She purchased for her journey to Abbey Wood but not onwards so maybe that’s why?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
She purchased for her journey to Abbey Wood but not onwards so maybe that’s why?
She can expect her ticket purchasing history to be audited then, to see how many times she has done it. This could increase the cost further.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

To add to what others have said, what will happen next is Southeastern will write to your partner saying that they have received a report, have sufficient evidence to prosecute but asking for your comments before deciding how to proceed. It is extremely important that you reply to this letter and you might want to include the following points in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Southeastern are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this and the tthey are within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court should they wish to do so.

Be aware that Southeastern will be able to search your online ticket purchase history and if your partner has regularly purchased short tickets to Abbey Wood then you might be asked further questions about this.

If you are offered a settlement you will normally have to pay the outstanding fare at the full Anytime rate with credit given for the fare you did purchase. You will also have to pay an admin fee of around £150. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.