• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11 SouthWestern Railway - First offence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all does anyone know what happens in these interviews? Also would be great to know what is the likelihood of it going to court after an interview. I have learnt my lesson and since getting caught I have not committed the crime again and found other means of cutting spending to priorities my travels. I understand it was definitely too late but just really worried as the interview is in 2 weeks

The other side of this is that a 'no comment' attendance or non attendance are both likely to see the case proceed to court whereas we have, if I recall correctly, seen a couple of cases where attendance at such an interview has led to a settlement being offered.
Do you mind please sharing these other cases?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I managed to get an out of court settlement without the need of an interview this was settled administratively and with a help of a solicitor. Thank you for all the advise and help.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thanks for letting us know - that sounds like a pretty good result. I see that once you were called to an interview we generally suggested that you should talk to a solicitor and this seems to have been effective - even saving you the need to go to an interview!

Billyb975

Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I managed to get an out of court settlement without the need of an interview this was settled administratively and with a help of a solicitor. Thank you for all the advise and help.
Hi, good result, which solicitor did you end up using?

Adianna

BSB solicitors
Thank you for sharing your experience OP I’ve just experienced the exact same situation (been given an MG11 from SWR as I short fared the train). Just happened on the weekend so I am awaiting my letter. How much did this cost overall for settlement?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you for sharing your experience OP I’ve just experienced the exact same situation (been given an MG11 from SWR as I short fared the train). Just happened on the weekend so I am awaiting my letter. How much did this cost overall for settlement?
Hi - it would probably be a good idea to start a new thread for your own situation (without revealing any personal stuff that could identify you) so people notice that and give you advice that is good for your case.

As a general rule if they offer to settle out of court (which is by no means an automatic outcome) most train companies seem to charge around £100 to £200 admin fee, plus the cost of any fares evaded at the full Anytime Single fare with no discounts permitted, nor allowances for the part fare you already paid.

They can also look at your ticket buying history for any other journeys that loo suspicious to them eg where you may have done the same thing. They can examine that from any other ticket retailers that sell tickets under the data protection exemptions allowed for the purpose of investigating crime (ticket evasion in England is a criminal offence) So unless you buy your tickets with cash they will be able to examine that without too much difficulty.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As @WesternLancer suggests, it would be better to start your own thread. However, it should be noted that SWR do usually look to settle out of court, and using a solicitor may expedite this but it will be at considerable additional expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.