• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Michael Portillo's railway programme Geat British Railway journeys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Which series? The only articulated trains currently on NR are Anglias 745s and 755s, and Merseyrails 777s. If you mean the new continental series, I think it's a Spanish Talgo.

Carbean

On the original series where is the station he begins his journeys. No identification on station (could it be Leatherhead) and cannot catch destination blind on EMU or signal identifier. Always concentrate but cannot confirm station.

Hophead

Established Member
On the original series where is the station he begins his journeys. No identification on station (could it be Leatherhead) and cannot catch destination blind on EMU or signal identifier. Always concentrate but cannot confirm station.
Box Hil?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
At the start of many episodes in the various earlier series, Mr. Portillo is shown boarding a Southern train at Boxhill & Westhumble station.

Western 52

I think he said whilst at Marylebone that it was originally the terminus of the Grand Central Railway rather than Great Central?

Envoy

Established Member
They are not Great British Railway Journeys. They are simply Portillo wandering from place to place looking for interesting stories. He might just as well travel by car.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
They are not Great British Railway Journeys. They are simply Portillo wandering from place to place looking for interesting stories. He might just as well travel by car.
Of course, without the railway journey 'leit motif', it's likely that none of the Michael Portillo episodes would include any footage whatsoever to do with the GB rail network.

simonw

They show how the railways influenced the places they connected.

geoffk

Established Member
I think he said whilst at Marylebone that it was originally the terminus of the Grand Central Railway rather than Great Central?
He did! And I shouted at the telly. He was at Dundee today. I'm sure he went there on a previous journey when he met Desperate Dan.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Of course, without the railway journey 'leit motif', it's likely that none of the Michael Portillo episodes would include any footage whatsoever to do with the GB rail network.
While this is true for many episodes, the episodes that covered the Glasgow Subway and the Stoubridge Town went out of their way to show railways, and Portillo always has an air of being naughtily off-topic when presenting actual railway interest.

Somewhere

It would be interesting to know how he actually got to each filming location when they aren't near the railway station. Bus?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not

And what's wrong with that.They're enjoyable railway journeys with some local info.

And incidentally, "autoshenanigans" are doing a very entertaining "Great British Road Journeys" on youtube, if you fancy that.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
As always, these programmes aren't actually aimed at the rail enthusiast; their purpose is to provide entertainment for the general public and nothing more.

It used to annoy me that Portillo would board one train type and then alight from another, but it doesn't really matter.

If such programmes inspire people to have a day trip along a line that they've never travelled on and visit places that they wouldn't have thought about visiting before, it's a win-win situation for the passenger and the various businesses along the line.

Isn't that what Bradshaw was attempting to do in the first place?

Statto

Established Member

Portillo's series isn't just about the railway, it's about how the railway affected everyday life from when it was introduced to a place he's visiting.

northwichcat

Established Member
It would be interesting to know how he actually got to each filming location when they aren't near the railway station. Bus?

There's production road vehicles travelling between all the filming locations. Have you never noticed Portillo never carries an overnight bag with him on the train but is seen checking into hotels? Even where Portillo could have walked e.g. Knutsford station to Tatton Park Hall, I doubt he would have done. He's doesn't exactly dress for walking or even for being outdoors if there's a risk of showers. Also if he walks or catches a bus then it's taking up an entire production team's time, and they're not getting any filming in exchange for that time, unlike when he's on the train.

northwichcat

Established Member
If such programmes inspire people to have a day trip along a line that they've never travelled on and visit places that they wouldn't have thought about visiting before, it's a win-win situation for the passenger and the various businesses along the line.

Isn't that what Bradshaw was attempting to do in the first place?

I'd say Portillo is doing more than Bradshaw did originally, despite some routes being closed since Bradshaw's guide, as a greater proportion of the population can afford to use some form of rail service and it's easier to find train times now they're online. I researched and purchased tickets for rail travel in Andalucia last year, I wonder if I existed in 1924 whether I would have been willing and able to do that?

Calthrop

Established Member
I'd say Portillo is doing more than Bradshaw did originally, despite some routes being closed since Bradshaw's guide, as a greater proportion of the population can afford to use some form of rail service and it's easier to find train times now they're online. I researched and purchased tickets for rail travel in Andalucia last year, I wonder if I existed in 1924 whether I would have been willing and able to do that?
(My italics) -- get to grips with a tiny bit of Spanish, obtain a copy of the celebrated Horario Guia (Spain's equivalent of Bradshaw) -- you'd have done just fine !

northwichcat

Established Member
(My italics) -- get to grips with a tiny bit of Spanish, obtain a copy of the celebrated Horario Guia (Spain's equivalent of Bradshaw) -- you'd have done just fine !

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been possible if I existed in 1924, I'm saying it would have required more effort and financial resource to do.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Funnily enough, while holidaying in Devon around four years ago, I boarded a Voyager at Torquay down to Paignton, then the Dartmouth Steam Railway to Greenway Halt to visit Agatha Christie’s old home at Greenway Estate.

When getting on the Voyager, I walked into a carriage only to find Michael and a crew of around three people filming a piece to camera! Upon arrival at Paignton, they then got on the same steam service (with part of a carriage reserved) and also alighted at Greenway Halt. Unlike us who walked up the path to the house though, they had a couple of waiting Land Rovers to pick them up and take them to the house.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm not saying it wouldn't have been possible if I existed in 1924, I'm saying it would have required more effort and financial resource to do.
My post meant humorously -- should have added a "smiley". (I enjoy flights of fancy in which it's now 1924.)

Titfield

Established Member

Yes quite easily. You would have gone to the nearest branch of Thomas Cook who would have made all the arrangements for you.

Before package holidays really took off (pun intended) Thomas Cooks forte was the arrangement of all types of travel be that steamer ship tickets, railway tickets virtually anywhere that had a railway, hotel bookings, foreign currency, assistance with passports and visas. You name it they could book it for you.

northwichcat

Established Member
Yes quite easily. You would have gone to the nearest branch of Thomas Cook who would have made all the arrangements for you.

Before package holidays really took off (pun intended) Thomas Cooks forte was the arrangement of all types of travel be that steamer ship tickets, railway tickets virtually anywhere that had a railway, hotel bookings, foreign currency, assistance with passports and visas. You name it they could book it for you.

You missed my point about affordability. In 2024 if you can afford to go anywhere for a short break, you can probably afford EasyJet flights to Malaga, some form of accommodation in the Malaga area, and a return train ticket to Granada.

How much would your suggested Thomas Cook package have costed in 1924, compared to a typical salary?

Titfield

Established Member
You missed my point about affordability. In 2024 if you can afford to go anywhere for a short break, you can probably afford EasyJet flights to Malaga, some form of accommodation in the Malaga area, and a return train ticket to Granada.

How much would your suggested Thomas Cook package have costed in 1924, compared to a typical salary?

No idea but it would have been for the middle class and above. Air fares would have been out of reach but steamer fares and rail fares would have been affordable for say for example your bank manager.

The price of travel in real terms has absolutely plummeted. The expensive bit is now getting from home to the airport.

Titfield

Established Member
Perhaps he got a lift in Susan Calman's camper van 'Helen'.

I do wish they would do a travel series of Michael and Susan touring the UK together. It would be comedy gold.