• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Microsoft Train Simulator download

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jp4712

It was sold as a DVD-ROM, and you’ll see these from time to time on eBay. However, there were some pretty fundamental patches that are hard to find and even after that, the game is 20 years old so WAAAY off the mark compared to more recent iterations. Since the site uktrainsim.com closed, it has been very hard to get non-US freeware and patches.

It was sold as a DVD-ROM, and you’ll see these from time to time on eBay. However, there were some pretty fundamental patches that are hard to find and even after that, the game is 20 years old so WAAAY off the mark compared to more recent iterations. Since the site uktrainsim.com closed, it has been very hard to get non-US freeware and patches.
Is it possible to get MSTS stuff anymore??

jp4712

Not impossible, but increasingly difficult. There are now only two English language forums that talk much about MSTS, and these are heavily US-centric. These are trainsim.com and Elvas Tower (can’t remember the URL). The rest of the world has pretty moved on to newer/better sims. Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear.

InkyScrolls

I still own and play MSTS from time to time - it will run on Windows 10, surprisingly! Fortunately I've owned the game since 2001 and have various UK add-ons. It's not, to my knowledge, available to download anywhere, but as jp4712 says the base game does pop up on eBay relatively often.

I still own and play MSTS from time to time - it will run on Windows 10, surprisingly! Fortunately I've owned the game since 2001 and have various UK add-ons. It's not, to my knowledge, available to download anywhere, but as jp4712 says the base game does pop up on eBay relatively often.
Does it work on ASUS?

Instead of MSTS, you would be better off downloading Open Rails which is an open source TS that was reverse engineered to be compatible with the original Kuju file formats.

Open Rails site

It is continually being worked on and improved. It is much more stable than MSTS. Although it does not have a route or activity editor, you can also download TSRE which is a route and activity editor.

TSRE

OR has a number of new routes and rolling stock developed for it using some of its enhanced capabilities. US centric but there is a lot of UK, European and international stuff especially India.

I personally have installed Scottish Central Plus and Mideast Plus, two good UK routes. Oh and a GWR and an LT&S route both steam era. Admittedly I did have some issues with some of the MEP activities as the timings of trains seem to have come out a bit differently.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Instead of MSTS, you would be better off downloading Open Rails which is an open source TS that was reverse engineered to be compatible with the original Kuju file formats.
But note that OpenRails can sometimes have issues with MSTS content and is not a 1:1 replica. You can run MSTS perfectly well on modern hardware and I recommend doing that for MSTS-produced content.

Of course if your interest's in something like British steam you're best off going outside the MSTS/OpenRails ecosystem and looking at something like Dovetail's Train Simulator Classic...

nlogax

Established Member
From what I've read you're not going to be able to run MSTS on anything beyond Windows 7 or 8.x due to DRM issues. You may want to considering running it in a vm..shouldn't be that taxing especially on a modern machine. When I first installed it twenty-something years ago around its original release it wasn't exactly resource-hungry even then.

fb2126

It is possible to play microsoft Train Simulator on windows 11, you just have to run it through Open Rails. You need to then download MSTS and set the directory of the open rails game to the microsoft trainsim folder. I can't remember where I downloaded MSTS from, I'm digging for it now.
Unfortunately it looks like the person that uploaded the video tutorial to download MSTS removed the video from YouTube. I hope what I sent earlier helped you

eldomtom2

On Moderation
From what I've read you're not going to be able to run MSTS on anything beyond Windows 7 or 8.x due to DRM issues. You may want to considering running it in a vm..shouldn't be that taxing especially on a modern machine. When I first installed it twenty-something years ago around its original release it wasn't exactly resource-hungry even then.
This is not entirely true. If you have an Nvidia graphics card MSTS will work fine. If you have an AMD graphics card or use Intel integrated graphics you may have issues. See Steam4me's comprehensive tutorial on installing MSTS: https://web.archive.org/web/2023011...m4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts_win10.html

Any issues to look out for?​

• It appears that MSTS will install but not run on PCs fitted with standard Intel Graphics cards (theses are often embedded in the motherboard). Stick to nVidia graphics cards.
  • It appears that MSTS will install but not run on PCs fitted with AMD/Radeon graphics cards. Ged Saunders over on uktrainsim writes "The last version of the HD Series drivers available from the AMD site which enables MSTS to work under Windows 10 with an AMD HD graphics card (plus "fix") is 16.8.3. This is shown as 16.300.2511.1003, dated 30/08/2016 on the Driver properties screen (from Device Manager)." The challenge appears to be that Windows Update updates these drivers rendering MSTS unplayable. Once again best to stick to nVidia graphics cards.
  • Default MSTS will not run on UHD monitors (ie resolutions greater than 2048 pixeds) - there are patches available (beyond the scope of this particular tutorial).