• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro extension: ex South Staffs line

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I've heard informally that this may be extended to Arden Cross in preference to a new Metro line.
Frankly I would prefer a metro line to a bus but I suppose that depends on the capacity of the bus. I had heard that bendy buses - VanHool ExquiCity (smart vehicles: I believe Belfast have a number of them) - were proposed for the BRT route in Solihull but I don't know if that is still the case. Either way the 18m ExquiCity, if used, only has a maximum of 44 seats so I would have thought that the capacity of a tram would be greater.

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
If the tram must go to Stourbridge Town/Jctn what's stop routing it via a new alignment that passes near to Withymoor centre through the flats in Brierley Hill (the flats bit running via Cottage St at Five Ways, High St South, Hill St onto the Delph through that tradig estate to Withymoor), then some street running past Stourbridge Town FC or cutting through Penfields.

That way you have the Dasher on the BR alignment and the metro serving Withymoor.

Chris125

Established Member

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone have a better idea than I when this will developing? Word in local politics was that it might be 2024, but I'm not altogether sure what is happening with the track bed. I haven't seen it recently, although my folks live near Dudley Port and I may have a look when I'm next across. The other Metro thread suggests the 21 new trans should be available for these extensions.

I gre wup with the growl and rattle of 20s, 25s, 31s, 37s and 47s on that line and it closed in 1991. I remember the last night of Eagle Lane box. Talk then was having this section done for when the rest of the Metro Line opend and it has been pushed back and pushed back since the early 90s. Was it Phil Bateman who in 1984, came up with the idea? Andy Street needs to deliver on this.

Thread opened for update

P Binnersley

Wednesbury to Brierley Hill Extension may only go to Dudley​

(Express and Star)

The Express & Star can exclusively reveal that leaders at the West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) have voted to split the scheme into two phases due to spiralling costs.
It means the Wednesbury to Dudley stretch will proceed as planned – at a projected cost of £385m – while the rest of the route to Brierley Hill is put on hold.
The funding shortfall for the whole project currently stands at around £290m.
It comes after a new WMCA report on 'Metro affordability' said the expected cost of the full 6.8-mile route has shot up from £449m to £550m – a 22 per cent hike from when it was approved in 2019.

According to the report Covid, Brexit and the war in Ukraine have all contributed towards spiralling costs.
Bosses insist they are committed to completing the extension in full.

Dave W

Another kick in the teeth for a town entirely hamstrung by Merry Hill.

Although I suppose the only reason it's going that far at all is because of the ghastly place.

MarkWi72

Just catching up with this. Bad news for public transport investment (again).

P Binnersley

The West Midlands "Deeper Devolution Deal" signed by the Mayor after the budget seems to have provided the funding to complete the extension to Merry Hill/Brierley Hill
There is good news in the immediate term as well, with an additional £60 million which is expected to act as a springboard for delivery of the Metro extension between Dudley town centre and Brierley Hill, subject to approval of further funding by the WMCA Board.
New powers and 1.5 billion investment to level up west midlands (WMCA).

I was in Dudley last Friday morning and took a few photos; there was no actual work in progress while I was there. The first three photos were taken from Tipton Road, with the Very Light Rail National Innovation Centre building out of picture to the left. The fourth was taken from the bridge over the old railway line, on Castle Hill (A459). Fifth was again taken on Castle Hill, a few yards to the left of the previous photo. Two rail lines run from here up the hill, towards the town centre, until they turn off into Birmingham Street (photo 6), where they head in the direction of the bus station.

Attachments

• IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3984.jpg
    IMG_3984.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3985.jpg
    IMG_3985.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 47

P Binnersley

Funding to continue Black Country metro extension

Funding is in place for the Midland Metro extension from Dudley to Merry Hill Waterfront (office area). Dudley council will hopefully fund the extension one more stop to Merry Hill (shopping centre). Brierley Hill will have to wait.

This new funding agreement will allow work to continue on the line from Dudley town centre to Merry Hill Waterfront in Brierley Hill. This phase of the project will add a further three stops. The route will then continue onto Merry Hill Shopping Centre, subject to a funding contribution from Dudley Council.

The WMCA maintains an ambition to continue the extension deeper into Brierley Hill, dependent on further funding becoming available.

Status
Not open for further replies.