• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Midland Metro to increase Penalty Fares & reintroduce buy at stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Proposed amendment to Metro penalty fares | Transport for West Midlands (tfwm.org.uk)

Proposed amendment to Metro penalty fares​

West Midlands Metro operates a penalty fare scheme. This means anyone travelling on the tram without a valid ticket could be liable to pay a penalty fare of £10.
Tickets will be sold at tram stops in the future. This is also called buy before you board. The current Penalty Fare is no longer a deterrent to prevent people travelling without a ticket.

Proposed changes to the penalty fare​

West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) submitted a proposal to change the penalty fare to £100. If you pay it within 14 days, it will be reduced to £50. This is under the Penalty Fare Act 1991, which was amended by The Midland Metro (Penalty Fares) Order 2019).
What do people think of this change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I'm 99% sure that some of the conductors are also drivers. I know they had advertised for "Driver Customer Service Representatives" which seems like a mix of both roles from the Job Description

Established Member
I think West Midlands Metro have much bigger issues at the moment than increasing Penalty Fares.

After all, no one will be boarding a WM Metro tram without buying a ticket any time soon... :D

Though on a more serious note, I've never really understood how PFs can work on a tram system where you buy onboard?

scrapy

Established Member
Though on a more serious note, I've never really understood how PFs can work on a tram system where you buy onboard?
I would be interested to know if they ever actually issued one? Possibly for an adult travelling on a child ticket?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Guess it will be like the Nottingham Trams & Metrolink where you buy before you board but without a member of staff on the tram to check tickets, so at times of the day will be a free for all with passengers chancing a couple stops without buying knowing the odds of getting caught by a RPI are remote?

MCR247

Established Member
Guess it will be like the Nottingham Trams & Metrolink where you buy before you board but without a member of staff on the tram to check tickets, so at times of the day will be a free for all with passengers chancing a couple stops without buying knowing the odds of getting caught by a RPI are remote?
You can also buy on the app in Nottingham now, so I imagine some do that as they see inspectors boarding

Sprinter107

When the Midland Metro first opened it was buy before you board, with machines at all.of the stops. It was soon decided to put conductors on the trams, and do away with the machines within a very short time, so i assume there was a high level of fare evasion. The conductors on those trams are really very good at what they do, ive watched them work, and even on a busy tram, they seem to get to most people, plus its a deterrent against crime.
I have a feeling once the conductors are taken off, and machines are once again at the stops, fare evasion and vandalism will increase.

LowLevel

Established Member
When the Midland Metro first opened it was buy before you board, with machines at all.of the stops. It was soon decided to put conductors on the trams, and do away with the machines within a very short time, so i assume there was a high level of fare evasion. The conductors on those trams are really very good at what they do, ive watched them work, and even on a busy tram, they seem to get to most people, plus its a deterrent against crime.
I have a feeling once the conductors are taken off, and machines are once again at the stops, fare evasion and vandalism will increase.
I seem to recall that at the time cash was much more prevalent and the machines were constantly being broken into, so they took them out of use.

Sprinter107

I seem to recall that at the time cash was much more prevalent and the machines were constantly being broken into, so they took them out of use.
Yes, i think the machines only took cash fares. Its a long time ago. I still don't think the new machines will be as efficient at revenue collection as the present conductors. They really are efficient at collecting the fares.

Wolfie

Established Member
Yes, i think the machines only took cash fares. Its a long time ago. I still don't think the new machines will be as efficient at revenue collection as the present conductors. They really are efficient at collecting the fares.
What proportion of passengers pay by the journey as opposed to having some sort of pass/season ticket, l wonder.

mattdickinson

I suspect when they move to contactless (as they surely will) this will effectively render conductors redundant.

The WMCA plan is to introduce off-tram validators to touch in an out.

The procurement of suppliers to deliver at stop validators and ticket vending machines and the back-office systems that enabled contactless payment capping and off-tram ‘tap on-tap off’ validation for all ticket types including Swift Go

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect when they move to contactless (as they surely will) this will effectively render conductors redundant.
Agreed, unless they go down an Edinburgh trams style "buy before you board" with a conductor nearly always on the tram to ensure passengers have paid.

Probably down the same route as Nottingham with teams of RPIs patrolling the network to check tickets seemingly at random

Gostav

Another choose is install the ticket vending machine in the tram.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another choose is install the ticket vending machine in the tram.

I suppose it depends on what's cheaper. With only a few trams out, conductors or on board TVMs are probably cheaper. With more trams out on a longer route with more extensions, TVMs at stops probably become cheaper, particularly as you'd mostly only need one as almost everyone will be either paying contactless or with some kind of Oyster style card.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I suppose it depends on what's cheaper. With only a few trams out, conductors or on board TVMs are probably cheaper. With more trams out on a longer route with more extensions, TVMs at stops probably become cheaper, particularly as you'd mostly only need one as almost everyone will be either paying contactless or with some kind of Oyster style card.
Given that there are number of extensions to the metro network underway the proposed changes would link with this logic - the Brierley Hill extension in particular will add a lot of route mileage.

johntea

Established Member
I’ve always been rather impressed at how fast the conductors on board Sheffield Supertram are down the tram checking and issuing tickets! (to the extent in over 15 years or so I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I haven’t had my ticket checked even for <5 minute journeys)

Established Member
Falls into line with Manchester, £100 or 50 in 2 weeks.

Still cant believe the "ticket machine on board" idea still floats around. Even in another country where a far higher proportion of the travelling public are more likely to pay than the UK, as soon as the inspectors boarded, twenty people were miraculously queuing for the TVM... that's since changed, on-board machines are now gone... a good option for customers ruined by scroungers who rarely pay.

the sniper

Established Member
Still cant believe the "ticket machine on board" idea still floats around. Even in another country where a far higher proportion of the travelling public are more likely to pay than the UK, as soon as the inspectors boarded, twenty people were miraculously queuing for the TVM... that's since changed, on-board machines are now gone... a good option for customers ruined by scroungers who rarely pay.

Given that the rail industry facilitated people doing this on their phone when they see the 'ticket man' coming, from the comfort of their seats, onboard ticket machines are the least of the problems...

LowLevel

Established Member
Given that the rail industry facilitated people doing this on their phone when they see the 'ticket man' coming, from the comfort of their seats, onboard ticket machines are the least of the problems...
If you're minded to do say you can bust them though. It tells you to the minute when they bought it and if it was after departure time you can just penalty fare them :lol:

londonbridge

Established Member
I’ve posted before how I once got the team from Birmingham to The Hawthorns, conductor hadn’t got to me so I approached him and said “I need a ticket, I’m getting off next stop”, and he replied “just jump off, mate, don’t worry about it”.

duncanp

Established Member
I’ve posted before how I once got the team from Birmingham to The Hawthorns, conductor hadn’t got to me so I approached him and said “I need a ticket, I’m getting off next stop”, and he replied “just jump off, mate, don’t worry about it”.

At least you had a conductor on your tram.

Sometimes they operate in service without a conductor.

Sprinter107

At least you had a conductor on your tram.

Sometimes they operate in service without a conductor.
Yes, ive had the odd ride on a tram where there hasn't been a conductor, but when there is, its very rare they haven't got to me, and if that's the case, ive paid when ive been getting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.