• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Milage of freigth trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you help me again in a particular question? I wonder if anybody can tell me how many miles a freight train runs a year in England. What would you guess? An average figure would be perfect.
Are there differences between the freight operators regarding to milage? And does anybody know how many trains per day run for GBRf and DRS? I was only able to find information about services per day of EWS and Freightliner (1000 and 100). Thanks!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
A typical train could probably make three or four localised trips or one national trip each day
Assuming the loco remains with that freight train, then I would estimate about 500 miles day
Assume 11 days working out of 14 days, and that gives about 140,000 miles a year
It might seem quite low but compare that to what a HST or Class 390 can cover in the same period!

Status
Not open for further replies.