• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Mileage between 1st January 2015 and 31st December 2015 (incl.) only. Travel for leisure or commuting purposes only. Mileage covered on all railways counts towards your total, including heritage lines, foreign mileage, trams, light rail and LU - providing you can find accurate mileage data.

You can enter your mileage total here, towards the bottom of the page.

Click here for 2015 mileage league table

Main Resouces

National Rail

RailMiles Mileage Engine (RMME)
IMPORTANT: You must examine the routing generated carefully to ensure that it is what you want. This new reincarnation of the mileage engine is still a beta version so contain a few errors. Report any discrepancies to site support. Reports posted on this forum is unlikely to be picked up for a while.

Light Rail

Light Rail Distance Charts (Metric Units)
Light Rail Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
Track and Distance Diagrams (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

London Underground

London Underground Distance Charts (Imperial Units)
(A spreadsheet has been created by dcd and attached as an Excel file below ugdist1.xlsx if you wish to avoid manually looking up charts - just copy values from Columns F and G into H and I for steps in the journey, total appears in J and K, and remember to clear contents from H and I before next journey.)​
TfL Distance Diagram (Metric Units) - thanks to pdeaves

Supplementary Resources

DLR Stratford International Branch - thanks to TheJRB
Midland Metro (and here) - thanks to 45041 and MattE2010
LOROL - Surrey Quays to Queens Road Peckham - thanks to TheJRB
Burnley Manchester Road - Todmorden - thanks to crehld
Chains to miles
Milepost data - calculation required
Mileage for preserved lines
Selected RailMiles Mileage Engine Station Names - contains all LU, Croydon Tramlink and NET station names, and selected other awkward station names used in RailMiles - for reference only, not working with the new mileage engine
Recalibrated Milepost Data (work in progress)

Please note that any attempt at disrupting the competition will result in an infraction and immediate disqualification from this year's competition.

New for 2015

For the benefit of those members who would like a sample spreadsheet to log their journey details, one is attached. Please note however that my spreadsheet is highly detailed, especially in respect of journey annotations, so you may wish to use only the main sheet (without colours), and only use selected columns according to your preference. An OpenDocument version is available as a zipped file for those without Excel.

Two versions of journey record sheets for use when on the move are also attached, in pdf form or as a spreadsheet for customisation.

I hope some of you will find them useful if you don't want to come up with your own design.

Some forum members have also provided their record sheets downthread (Posts 36, 40, 44 and 47). You may find them to be less complicated than my examples. There is no right or wrong way of recording your moves. It is all down to personal preference.

Attachments

• Mileage Challenge Sample.xlsx
    63.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Mileage Challenge Sample.zip
    49 KB · Views: 25
  • Mileage Record Sample.xlsx
    23.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Mileage Record Sample 1.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Mileage Record Sample 2.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 56
  • ugdist1.xlsx
    535.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
At last, been waiting for this thread! :D

168m65c for me so far this year, already been a week since that bash! :shock:

I've had a look at those PDF files, outrageously complicated for a new arrival to the hobby to use IMO. Fortunately I have RailMiles to do that lot for me, an example of an entry in my notebook (and indeed my moves book!) goes like this:

165013, in 55846, Birmingham Moor Street -> Solihull (0934, arr 0941)

If it's a Super Dud (that is, a train with all coaches travelled in already), then the entry would be more like:

153366+150105 Hereford -> Birmingham New Street (0734, arr 0911, 4d)

The "4d" refers to the delay on arrival time. If it had been a late departure, a similar entry would have followed the departure time, the first number in brackets). The "d" refers to "down", as in late. Others will use "L" for late, but I prefer down. Note the lack of colons (that is ":") in my times, as they just get in the way. Besides, if it's good enough to not use them in timetables it's good enough for me!

The only other thing to note, that I'm actually going to do this year and eventually backtrack to do the same for 2012 - 2014, is that I'll note the miles and chains at the end of the move in the moves book. So my moves book would read like this:

153366+150105 Hereford -> Birmingham New Street (0734, arr 0911, 4d) 55m05c

I've considered doing a spreadsheet before, and indeed I might still have one somewhere from my last attempt, but it's a lot of effort to make when I've got RailMiles to do that for me!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've had a look at those PDF files, outrageously complicated for a new arrival to the hobby to use IMO. Fortunately I have RailMiles to do that lot for me, an example of an entry in my notebook (and indeed my moves book!) goes like this:

Yeah I just made my original sheets into pdfs with minimal changes. If simplicity is preferred, either amend the Excel files or use this as a template and draw up your own ones accordingly.

Unfortunately I have known people who end up writing down more and more details as time passes and now have comprehensive notes, especially when coverage et al and routings for historical records are considered important, so they might as well start right from the beginning. :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Unfortunately I have known people who end up writing down more and more details as time passes and now have comprehensive notes, especially when coverage et al and routings for historical records are considered important, so they might as well start right from the beginning. :lol:

Oh yes, I must admit my notes have got more detailed over the years. I don't go overboard with the routings etc though, unless it's something rather unusual like on 2014's Retro Railtours outing. A note in brackets of routing is sometimes utilised, for example if I'm on the 0849 Hereford to Birmingham New Street I will add "(via Worcester Shrub Hill)" to the notes as it's worth an extra 28 chains!

I see I'm still bottom of the table already :lol:

Cletus

Established Member
Thanks for this thread! 3rd at the moment, highest ever, won't be there for long :lol:

samuelmorris

Established Member
See, I've no intention of ever recording which coach I'm in, primarily because for sake of convenience or when travelling with others I will always end up being in the same part of a given train (granted, for the Jubilee and Northern lines I try and mix it up by being in the middle of the train nowadays, so I could take either unit).
Glad a few others have entered as it's moving me up the chart a little bit :D - quite content with my bash-free 7th of 10 for now - hopefully will bump it a little more this week as I've a couple more site visits to do plus another return journey to York to do this weekend. I take solace that despite being 7th I still have 3/4 the mileage of the top scorer - keep quiet for a bit and I might make top for a short while :D

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Just remember to note your 91s when you do the York trip! ;)

I'll be heading up to Edinburgh/Glasgow again in a few weeks - let's see if this time, I can remember that the 91 should be on the front, and to be on the lookout as it arrives at the station!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well, I've managed 422m 55ch this year so far.

I've also achieved what will probably be my highest ranking on the table all year :)

samuelmorris

Established Member
Just remember to note your 91s when you do the York trip! ;)

Yeah, tell me about it! Not so easy when you normally travel in Coach H on a Mk 4 set so you don't have to have a seat reseveration :p
On my way up I've been using the GC 180 to Sunderland a fair bit too, hence managing to get one of them up to 500 miles, but still somehow only have three on the list!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yeah, tell me about it! Not so easy when you normally travel in Coach H on a Mk 4 set so you don't have to have a seat reseveration :p
On my way up I've been using the GC 180 to Sunderland a fair bit too, hence managing to get one of them up to 500 miles, but still somehow only have three on the list!

Make the effort to move up the train before arrival at York then! Extra walking but that's not a bad thing after a lengthy journey!

Surprising how things work out regarding the 180s, and you'll have more of them to get in with GC in a few years when FGW gets rid of them for the second time!

CC 72100

Established Member
Surprising how things work out regarding the 180s, and you'll have more of them to get in with GC in a few years when FGW gets rid of them for the second time!

Saw my first 180 in the flesh yesterday - so. much. screeching. :lol:

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Already clocked up a fair bit of mileage in the past week. Marks Tey-Ipswich on the 8th, Ipswich-Lowestoft and return on the 10th, Ipswich-Felixstowe and return on the 10th, Ipswich-Colchester and Dovercourt-Manningtree-Ipswich today.

I should be pretty high on the leaderboard by the end of next week, what with a big London trip this Saturday (plenty of mileage to be gained there), and another clear week of travelling around East Anglia before lectures start again on the 25th, and my free time is eaten away. :lol:

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Saw my first 180 in the flesh yesterday - so. much. screeching. :lol:

Yep, those disc brakes really make an enormous amount of noise! Unmistakeable when you're on the suburban side of t'Cross, unable to see the long-distance side, no need to guess what sort of train's just arrived! :lol::lol::lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yep, those disc brakes really make an enormous amount of noise! Unmistakeable when you're on the suburban side of t'Cross, unable to see the long-distance side, no need to guess what sort of train's just arrived! :lol::lol::lol:

Unmistakeable when you're at Reading, no need to guess what has arrived...

...Apart from the 150/0s :lol:

----

Currently on 743 miles, however that only includes trips I could get the miles from, and not my Grand Central trip to Bradford and back, or some smaller distances within London or on the Winchester - Southampton corridor

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Currently on 743 miles, however that only includes trips I could get the miles from, and not my Grand Central trip to Bradford and back, or some smaller distances within London or on the Winchester - Southampton corridor

Well you haven't asked me to kindly research them for you! ;)

KGX-BDI via Fitzwilliam:

"Route: London Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange 201mi 60ch - generated from your selection
London Kings Cross, Kings Cross Belle Isle, Finsbury Park, Harringay, Hornsey, Alexandra Palace, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park, New Barnet, Hadley Wood, Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Hatfield (Herts), Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North, Woolmer Green Junction, Knebworth, Stevenage, Hitchin, Arlesey, Biggleswade, Sandy, St Neots, Huntingdon, Peterborough, Werrington Junction, Helpston Junction, Tallington Junction, Highdyke Junction, Grantham, Grantham Nottingham Branch Junction, Barkston South Junction, Claypole Loop, Newark North Gate, Retford, Doncaster Loversall Carr Junction, Doncaster, Bentley (Yorks), Adwick, Carcroft Junction, Adwick Junction, South Elmsall, Fitzwilliam, Hare Park Junction, Crofton West Junction, Oakenshaw Junction, Calder Bridge Junction, Wakefield Kirkgate, Horbury Junction, Healey Mills B Junction, Healey Mills A Junction, Dewsbury East Junction, Thornhill LNW Junction, Mirfield, Heaton Lodge East Junction, Heaton Lodge Junction, Bradley Wood Junction, Brighouse, Elland, Greetland Junction, Dryclough Junction, Halifax, Mill Lane Junction, Bradford Interchange"

I don't know if that route is right, particularly the bit in bold.

BDI-KGX via Pontefract:

Route: Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross 208mi 16ch - generated from your selection
Bradford Interchange, Mill Lane Junction, Halifax, Dryclough Junction, Greetland Junction, Elland, Brighouse, Bradley Wood Junction, Heaton Lodge Junction, Heaton Lodge East Junction, Mirfield, Thornhill LNW Junction, Dewsbury East Junction, Healey Mills A Junction, Healey Mills B Junction, Horbury Junction, Wakefield Kirkgate, Calder Bridge Junction, Oakenshaw Junction, Crofton West Junction, Crofton East Junction, Streethouse, Featherstone, Pontefract Tanshelf, Pontefract Monkhill, Pontefract Monkhill Goods Junction, Knottingley West Junction, Knottingley South Junction, Askern Norton Level Crossing, Shaftholme Junction, Arksey Loop, Doncaster, Doncaster Loversall Carr Junction, Retford, Newark North Gate, Claypole Loop, Barkston South Junction, Grantham Nottingham Branch Junction, Grantham, Highdyke Junction, Tallington Junction, Helpston Junction, Werrington Junction, Peterborough, Huntingdon, St Neots, Sandy, Biggleswade, Arlesey, Hitchin, Stevenage, Knebworth, Woolmer Green Junction, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield (Herts), Welham Green, Brookmans Park, Potters Bar, Hadley Wood, New Barnet, Oakleigh Park, New Southgate, Alexandra Palace, Hornsey, Harringay, Finsbury Park, Kings Cross Belle Isle, London Kings Cross"

That one SHOULD be correct!

In the meantime, I'm now busy so PM me the bits you need and I'll get back to you when I can :)

samuelmorris

Established Member
Make the effort to move up the train before arrival at York then! Extra walking but that's not a bad thing after a lengthy journey!

What, with a full size suitcase that only fits down the aisle sideways? nah, I'm alright thanks :D

Yeah the screeching on 180s is pretty substantial, I used to think 315s were bad until I saw one! I still find it funny that some of the station announcements at Stratford were obviously recorded near the problem so have the sound of 315s braking in the background so you can hear the squealing through the tannoys even if there's no 315 in sight :D

Crossover

Established Member

Well, it is either a 180 or a Pacer has been let loose down the ECML ;)

Well you haven't asked me to kindly research them for you! ;)

KGX-BDI via Fitzwilliam:

"Route: London Kings Cross to Bradford Interchange 201mi 60ch - generated from your selection
London Kings Cross, Kings Cross Belle Isle, Finsbury Park, Harringay, Hornsey, Alexandra Palace, New Southgate, Oakleigh Park, New Barnet, Hadley Wood, Potters Bar, Brookmans Park, Welham Green, Hatfield (Herts), Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North, Woolmer Green Junction, Knebworth, Stevenage, Hitchin, Arlesey, Biggleswade, Sandy, St Neots, Huntingdon, Peterborough, Werrington Junction, Helpston Junction, Tallington Junction, Highdyke Junction, Grantham, Grantham Nottingham Branch Junction, Barkston South Junction, Claypole Loop, Newark North Gate, Retford, Doncaster Loversall Carr Junction, Doncaster, Bentley (Yorks), Adwick, Carcroft Junction, Adwick Junction, South Elmsall, Fitzwilliam, Hare Park Junction, Crofton West Junction, Oakenshaw Junction, Calder Bridge Junction, Wakefield Kirkgate, Horbury Junction, Healey Mills B Junction, Healey Mills A Junction, Dewsbury East Junction, Thornhill LNW Junction, Mirfield, Heaton Lodge East Junction, Heaton Lodge Junction, Bradley Wood Junction, Brighouse, Elland, Greetland Junction, Dryclough Junction, Halifax, Mill Lane Junction, Bradford Interchange"

I don't know if that route is right, particularly the bit in bold.

BDI-KGX via Pontefract:

Route: Bradford Interchange to London Kings Cross 208mi 16ch - generated from your selection
Bradford Interchange, Mill Lane Junction, Halifax, Dryclough Junction, Greetland Junction, Elland, Brighouse, Bradley Wood Junction, Heaton Lodge Junction, Heaton Lodge East Junction, Mirfield, Thornhill LNW Junction, Dewsbury East Junction, Healey Mills A Junction, Healey Mills B Junction, Horbury Junction, Wakefield Kirkgate, Calder Bridge Junction, Oakenshaw Junction, Crofton West Junction, Crofton East Junction, Streethouse, Featherstone, Pontefract Tanshelf, Pontefract Monkhill, Pontefract Monkhill Goods Junction, Knottingley West Junction, Knottingley South Junction, Askern Norton Level Crossing, Shaftholme Junction, Arksey Loop, Doncaster, Doncaster Loversall Carr Junction, Retford, Newark North Gate, Claypole Loop, Barkston South Junction, Grantham Nottingham Branch Junction, Grantham, Highdyke Junction, Tallington Junction, Helpston Junction, Werrington Junction, Peterborough, Huntingdon, St Neots, Sandy, Biggleswade, Arlesey, Hitchin, Stevenage, Knebworth, Woolmer Green Junction, Welwyn North, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield (Herts), Welham Green, Brookmans Park, Potters Bar, Hadley Wood, New Barnet, Oakleigh Park, New Southgate, Alexandra Palace, Hornsey, Harringay, Finsbury Park, Kings Cross Belle Isle, London Kings Cross"

That one SHOULD be correct!

In the meantime, I'm now busy so PM me the bits you need and I'll get back to you when I can :)

The routes look right, but I have mileages for both on previous years' mileage calculations, so I can check if needs be

Kite159

Veteran Member
The route via Fitzwilliam avoiding Pontefract looks correct (managed to get it going both ways, ok it was on the same 180 but it was new track)

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Doubt I'll be doing much rail mileage till the end of the Month when I go over to the GCR for the steam gala.

alex17595

I will have done something like 2000 at the end of this month. Did liverpool the other week and Im currently in wick.

Not filling anything in untill I can get definate distances down.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not if I have my way on my upcoming trip you won't! I have a lot of mileage to come just from the long-distance moves on that one, let alone the other parts! ;)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hopefully my mileage will go quite a bit higher after my 3 day bash at the end of the month!

Status
Not open for further replies.