• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mileage Competition 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crispy1978

99 miles and 58 chains x 60 journeys = 5983 miles to add to the 111 I've already logged = 6094 miles.

Amazing how much a bit of 'commuting' adds up.

A couple more journeys to add, but nothing more massive at the moment.

Think I've probably hit a break in travel fir a few weeks! But another 24 journeys of 99 miles, plus another 8 trips probably totalling another 1400 miles mean I'll not be far off 10000 miles so far in a year where I had no plans of doing probably more than 1000-1500 miles! I blame emergencies, families and medical appointments (for the wife - bloody physio on a daily basis!!!)

noddy1878

Established Member
Just updated my mileage and after one of my best months ever with 5,577miles I am on 20,519 for the year.

Established Member
That's 23,182 miles from me after a good month for mileage last month.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some very impressive figures from some of you!

Without faffing around tonight looking for the chainage on my recent Metrolink leaps, I'm now on 10,604 miles in 2016. 883 miles last month, not bad considering it was a quiet month!

2 weeks tomorrow morning until my next bash, ugh that feels like decades away! :cry:

dcd

Just added 2372 miles from my 7 day Interrail trip but still need to find mileage for some of the trip.

Please any help with these.

Anyone know the distance on RER line D from Gare Nord to Gare du Lyon?

Anyone know where to find distances for Trams in Geneva, Basel, Salzburg and Munich?

Thanks

postye

Finally managed to tot up my mileage for September, using a spreadsheet & no thanks to railmiles!

3518 miles for September, largely helped by 2 days of the GBRF railtour, taking me to 22641 for the year at end of September

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've noticed this morning that Railmiles has shortened the East Coast Main Line by 5 chains south of York! I have sent an email reporting this, but there is no obvious reason that I can see which is a bit worrying.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
RM is way behind the times, after all there's hardly any light rail mileage data in it which is just unbelievable. If the Bad Gateway issues keep going I'm definitely saving myself £20 a year from now on...

EDIT: My big mileage update is done, I am now on 12,477 miles in 2016 so far! 477 miles ahead of the target for the year, 2,477 miles ahead of the intended October target so I'm well chuffed! 14,000 is looking possible for the end of 2016, but I'll be happy to clear 13,000!

Last edited:

I've noticed this morning that Railmiles has shortened the East Coast Main Line by 5 chains south of York! I have sent an email reporting this, but there is no obvious reason that I can see which is a bit worrying.

RM is way behind the times, after all there's hardly any light rail mileage data in it which is just unbelievable. If the Bad Gateway issues keep going I'm definitely saving myself £20 a year from now on...

Unfortunately my trust for railmiles is limited these days. Since the new one came out I've found anomaly after anomaly. Problem is that new railmiles could in fact be right in some cases so how is anyone to know which to pick.
Whatever happens, I use old mileages from my own records from now and only use RM when I cover a new leap

Established Member
I've always recorded my mileage on an Excel spreadsheet, that way I can re-use mileage figures from duplicate journeys and I've always got a copy of it whether I'm online or offline. I make a new spreadsheet every year (it won't be long before I start work on 2017's!), that way I can keep track of annual mileage and statistics much easier than if I used one spreadsheet year after year.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've always recorded my mileage on an Excel spreadsheet, that way I can re-use mileage figures from duplicate journeys and I've always got a copy of it whether I'm online or offline. I make a new spreadsheet every year (it won't be long before I start work on 2017's!), that way I can keep track of annual mileage and statistics much easier than if I used one spreadsheet year after year.
Same here.

Established Member
This month's been fairly productive for me, as I'm now on 25,345 miles, which puts me in 8th place.

Next month is going to be good, hopefully another 2,000+ miles, but we'll see what happens.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Does anyone have mileage details for the Gwilli Railway?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As an add on. The Mileage between Stoke-on-Trent and Euston in both up and down directions via Stafford and the Norton Bridge Flyover I need as well Please. (If there's any difference if not just the one mileage will do.)

crehld

Established Member
As an add on. The Mileage between Stoke-on-Trent and Euston in both up and down directions via Stafford and the Norton Bridge Flyover I need as well Please. (If there's any difference if not just the one mileage will do.)

Add an extra 33 chains to what it would be normally.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've now passed the 17,000 mark, meaning I've also passed last year's total, with two months (and a trip to Strasbourg!) to go.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Time for another quarterly update (that I should have posted during October).

The notable big mileages in July were the Greater Anglia Day Ranger, South Eastern Railway and Beckenham Junction diversions that I tied in with my meeting in London that same weekend, the Valley Lines network and the Hendy Junction PSUL side of the triangle that sees a direct train from Cardiff via Swansea District Railway, and a Greater Manchester Ranger in my hair pulling attempts to land 323238 to clear the class, switching to Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway metals when I realised that it was not going to be my day. Combined with local bits and pieces, July's total was 3474 miles.

Although I did not do many individual bashing trips in August, I still racked up 5198 miles. Most of this was the Freedom of Severn & Solent Rover combined with a Devon Day Ranger and the Summer Sundays Only Exeter - Okehampton route. Furthermore, the London Paddington - Swansea IC services were diverted via Stroud and Gloucester during the holiday weekend, which increased the mileage further. I had started off August with another Roundabout Glasgow to do the rare track between Polmadie Depot and Crossmyloof as there were engineering works, plus some other bits and pieces which bagged me 170 miles that day.

September had me get 1392 miles in the bag, with the big mileages coming from a fares workshop I attended in Edinburgh that was tied in with the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway diversions on the London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley IC services. Although the timings did not work out that great for me to do Edinburgh Waverley - Newcastle via Carlisle, I took the diverted VTEC service to Carlisle and had a quick spin to Dalston and back. This netted me 357 miles that day. I did an SPT Daytripper that bagged me 272 miles, and on the last day of the month I did another Greater Manchester Ranger that I indeed managed to bag 323238 for haulage and to clear the class, as well as scoring Reddish South and Denton that saw me get 594 miles that day.

Quarter 3's total is 10063 miles, bringing the 2016 total to 19411 miles. For comparison, Q3 2015 was 5200, with the total mileage at the same stage in 2015 being 12912 miles.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that's quite an impressive amount!

Not including mileage data from Vienna, I'm currently well clear of 13,000 miles now with 6 weeks left to go in 2016. 13,112 miles is my total for now, although I don't know see me hitting 14,000 miles as my annual #TechsAntiFrothmas bash won't see me clear anywhere close to 889 miles!

However, it is my highest amount for some time, including compared to 2015 so I'm very pleased. I need to do another UK trip soon, just to boost the numbers that bit more, and put me in a slightly better position of strength for 2017. I am, of course, already well into TPP Mode and now I've finally caught up on my TripAdvisor reviews I can crack on with finishing the trip report. Lots of photos to process yet, hence the delay in posting it. Expect the trip report to go live in the next 48 hours.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Up to 2895 miles now. Unless I manage another 1,500 miles or so in the next few weeks then I won't beat 2015's total of 4,186! Still, Second best year for me ever.

trainmania100

Established Member
I have travelled quite a distance since i last updated my milage. Most notably last weekends Brighton to Tonbridge via hastings and return. The week before brighton to three bridges return and portslade to falmer and return. I highly doubt ill make it above postition 10 this year.

High Dyke

Established Member
Just updated mine. Realised that i hadn't separated October & November journies, but all sorted now.:) I got distracted by the latest signal box closures and subsequent re-org in my area. :oops:

A trip over the Swansea District line yesterday meant a long, but good day out. Decent Welsh beer quaffed in the 'Spoons @ Llanelli. :D

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A simple out and back trip to Thornaby for this month's quiz fixture takes me up to 10888 for the year. No winners, unfortunately...

Established Member
After a successful November, my penultimate mileage update for 2016 sees me back in the top ten places, albeit only just in 9th.

My target now is to clear 30,000 miles for the year, which will be a challenge considering how busy I am next month, although a trip up to Glasgow with my partner to visit her parents will help boost my total.

Will I do it? Find out in January!

Track Basher

Finally got round to catching up on the last 3 months and back into the lead again. Need just under 3,000 in December to beat last year, which was an annual record. Going to be a very close run thing. I think i am going to come up just short.

LordCreed

Just an update on mine:

January: 312 miles
February: 1777 miles
March: 2454 miles
April: 3782 miles
May: 1411 miles
June: 5451 miles
July: 6772 miles
August: 2924 miles
September: 3090 miles
October: 3356 miles
November: 2345 miles
December: 284 miles so far...

It brings my total for this year to 33963 miles. I imagine I should quite easily reach the 36,000 miles I aimed for this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.