• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Miller & Carter: the lettuce- discuss.

BanburyBlue

Hi peeps.

Me & Mrs BanburyBlue went to our local Miller & Carter for our anniversary last week. Now tell me, does anyone get the ‘quarter of iceberg lettuce’ thing? It seems a strange thing to give you a lump of lettuce with a random sauce on it, before your main course. However, I was talking to a colleague the other day, who said she loved having the lump of lettuce at Miller & Carter. I shudder to think how many iceberg lettuces are thrown in the bin (when half the world are starving).

Thoughts?

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BanburyBlue

What on earth is Miller & Carter? A new burger bar chain? ;);)
Sorry, Miller & Carter are a steak house brand across the U.K. Nice (ignore the lettuce for now), but quite expensive. And my view, very slow in the service department.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
There’s also one on the outskirts of Mirfield (near the site of the old Cooper Bridge station, to be vaguely on topic)

Never had chance to visit one yet, though would like to at some point

BanburyBlue

There’s also one on the outskirts of Mirfield (near the site of the old Cooper Bridge station, to be vaguely on topic)

Never had chance to visit one yet, though would like to at some point
I hope you like lettuce.

Oh no! We'll build burning barricades to stop them opening one in the independent retail and eating paradise of Hebden Bridge! ;)
Well, I think they’re quite good, apart from the slow service, and random lettuce.

Crossover

Established Member
It looks like there are 4 in West Yorkshire - Leeds, Mirfield, Horsforth and Garforth

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It looks like there are 4 in West Yorkshire - Leeds, Mirfield, Horsforth and Garforth
The Mirfield one is formerly the Three Nuns pub, one of several locations that claims to be the final resting place of Robin Hood.

As for the lettuce, they could have chosen a more flavourful variety (such as little gem) rather than the bland iceberg, which is only popular because it travels well.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Sorry, Miller & Carter are a streak house brand across the U.K. Nice (ignore the lettuce for now), but quite expensive. And my view, very slow in the service department.
Does one have to be naked? ;)

jon81uk

A wedge salad is a fairly common side or starter in a steakhouse, particularly in the USA.

The definition from Wikipedia is

Wedge salad​

A wedge salad is a green salad made from a head of lettuce (often iceberg), halved or quartered, with other ingredients on top.

I think what Miller & Carter serve as a side to the steak meets that description.

The honey & mustard dressing is a little heavy on the mustard but pretty good, but the blue cheese topping is probably the best.
If you don't want the side and think it will go in the bin then just don't order it. Personally I quite like that as standard all the steaks come with sauce, side salad and chips/potatoes/greens.

Owned by same people as Harvester. Says it all really
Mitchells & Butlers own many of the chain pub/bar-restaurants. All have a speciality, Miller & Carter is the slightly upscale (no sportswear) steakhouse, Harvester is all grills, Toby is a carvery, Stonehouse a cheaper carvery. They also own All Bar One and the Brown's restaurants which try to be better quality. Across their brands they seem to be pretty successful really.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Owned by same people as Harvester. Says it all really
Given Mitchells & Butlers wide range of brands targeted at different market segments, I don't think that it's indicative of anything much either way. I'm fond of their Nicholson's, Ember Inns and Vintage Inns establishments, as well as Miller and Carter.

Ted633

It should be served as a side (it is at my local M&C). I think the idea of it is to 'cleanse your palate' after each mouthful of steak. Not sure how that works in practice though!

DustyBin

Established Member
It should be served as a side (it is at my local M&C). I think the idea of it is to 'cleanse your palate' after each mouthful of steak. Not sure how that works in practice though!

It always has been in my experience, but I suspect they sometimes bring it out first so that your steak doesn't get cold waiting. It's part of the main course though regardless.

Personally I find Miller & Carter perfectly acceptable. My only constructive criticism (and the reason we don't go as often as we used to), is that the offer doesn't change much so it can feel a little "samey". The flip side to that of course is that it's a formula that works and has stood the test of time.... You pays yer money!

BanburyBlue

It always has been in my experience, but I suspect they sometimes bring it out first so that your steak doesn't get cold waiting. It's part of the main course though regardless.

Personally I find Miller & Carter perfectly acceptable. My only constructive criticism (and the reason we don't go as often as we used to), is that the offer doesn't change much so it can feel a little "samey". The flip side to that of course is that it's a formula that works and has stood the test of time.... You pays yer money!

Our big issue with M&C is their service - it's so slow. I'm not sure if it is just our local Banbury one, or more widespread? We went in on Friday for our anniversary. We arrived at 6.50, starters arrived quite promptly, and then nothing. It was almost 8.30 and we still didn't have our main courses. My wife flagged down a passing waitress, and our food arrived, however, my wife's steak was almost mooing, and it took another 10 minutes for the sides to appear. We left after 9, so over 2 hours for a 2 course meal (we gave up on having pudding, because it would have probably ended up as breakfast the speed we were going).

It's not cheap either, which is fair enough, but you'd think for the price you pay, you'd get a bit more on your plate. So a steak, a drizzle of green stuff, a quarter of a tomato and chips. More if you want chunky ones.

DustyBin

Established Member
Our big issue with M&C is their service - it's so slow. I'm not sure if it is just our local Banbury one, or more widespread? We went in on Friday for our anniversary. We arrived at 6.50, starters arrived quite promptly, and then nothing. It was almost 8.30 and we still didn't have our main courses. My wife flagged down a passing waitress, and our food arrived, however, my wife's steak was almost mooing, and it took another 10 minutes for the sides to appear. We left after 9, so over 2 hours for a 2 course meal (we gave up on having pudding, because it would have probably ended up as breakfast the speed we were going).

It's not cheap either, which is fair enough, but you'd think for the price you pay, you'd get a bit more on your plate. So a steak, a drizzle of green stuff, a quarter of a tomato and chips. More if you want chunky ones.

If it was that bad I'd be tempted to write a letter of complaint to be honest and see what they offer you. As you say it's not a cheap restaurant, and whilst I'm generally quite understanding, it sounds as though the level of service fell below what anyone would reasonably expect, even if was busy etc.

For what it's worth, I've never had an experience as poor as that in any Miller & Carter I've visited.

jon81uk

My local doesn't have that issue, service has been good, mains arriving almost immediately after starters and starters arriving almost too quickly!

Price-wise I always thought its about right for steak, The Ivy Collection restaurants are a bit fancier and charge £27.95 for 8oz sirloin, plus £5.50 for chips and £3.95 for sauce. Miller & Carter at £34.95 for 12oz Sirloin including sides and sauce is cheaper then for a larger piece. Harvester is of course cheaper at £20.49 for 10oz sirloin including chips, plus £1.99 for sauce. Wetherspoons of course much cheaper at £16 including a drink.
Rump at £21 at Miller & Carter is a good price, compared to £17 (plus £1.99 for sauce) at Harvester.

BanburyBlue

If it was that bad I'd be tempted to write a letter of complaint to be honest and see what they offer you. As you say it's not a cheap restaurant, and whilst I'm generally quite understanding, it sounds as though the level of service fell below what anyone would reasonably expect, even if was busy etc.

For what it's worth, I've never had an experience as poor as that in any Miller & Carter I've visited.
We did complain on the night, and the manager knocked off the price of our main courses. There did seem a fair number of waiting staff, so assume the issue was in kitchen.

trebor79

Established Member
I've always wondered if the Aberdeen/Angus steakhouses in London are any good? I suspect not.
A friend suggested Hawksmoor a while back. Yeah whatever. Naive me. 2 steaks, some sides and a few drinks came to £285 :{.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've always wondered if the Aberdeen/Angus steakhouses in London are any good? I suspect not.
A friend suggested Hawksmoor a while back. Yeah whatever. Naive me. 2 steaks, some sides and a few drinks came to £285 :{.
I've never eaten at an Angus Steakhouse, but their reputation precedes them.
Sometimes a bad reputation is undeserved, but usually not.

DustyBin

Established Member

Hawksmoor is pretty good though.

What really gets me is when you pay a fortune for a poor to average meal, which thankfully hasn’t happened to me all that often (the last time was at a well known eatery near Charing Cross).

johntea

Established Member
I've eaten at the Aberdeen Steak House in London before and didn't find it too bad to be honest, more a 'novelty' place you would only really visit if you're a tourist rather than a resident I guess!