• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mine & TheGricer's Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
I left home in time for the 05:16 train from Farnborough to London today for a 12 hour shift at work (I like money!) so was long gone, but at about 7am a "mini tornado" struck (according to BBC News 24) Nuneaton, Northampton, Coventry and, worst hit, Farnborough! Local damage includes holes in roofs, dissappearing chimneys, collapsed garages, upside down caravans (see pictures) and ripped fences. Here is the weather's makeover of our garden:

Edit: Now uploaded all of Dad's images to http://coxster.fotopic.net/c1377000.html

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

It's not rare in the UK - we get about 50 a year IIRC. It's all caused by heavy electrical discharges in the sky and clouds. As a result, the discharges combined with high winds eventually start to create a "plume" and when it "touches" down on the ground it creates a tornado.

Jim

Established Member
It's not rare in the UK - we get about 50 a year IIRC. It's all caused by heavy electrical discharges in the sky and clouds. As a result, the discharges combined with high winds eventually start to create a "plume" and when it "touches" down on the ground it creates a tornado.

Somones listened in Science!:lol:

Ascot

Established Member
Had one in Brum a few years ago. Glad i was in the otherside of the country.

Look at the mans caravan!

T

Tom

Somones listened in Science!:lol:

No - it's actually one of the things I'm interested. One of my ideal jobs would be to be a storm chaser but I don't want to move to the USA or somewhere like that.

Gizmogle

Established Member
No - it's actually one of the things I'm interested. One of my ideal jobs would be to be a storm chaser but I don't want to move to the USA or somewhere like that.

Good to see someone who isn't all trains :)

devon_metro

Established Member
I've had a pretty chaotic day today. There have been two serious car crashes!

That caravan needs foundations.

FusionRail

i saw a 'dust devil' [mini tornado] on my way home from a very boring school day. they are basically a really small tornado that does no or very little damage, and are barely visible:o

Good to see someone who isn't all trains :)

i have other interests other than trains! :-P

mixing music/computers/biking/trains/photography/trains/army shizzle/gaming/tv/food

haha

Mintona

Established Member
Had one in Brum a few years ago. Glad i was in the otherside of the country.

Look at the mans caravan!

Blimey, so sexist, it could be a lady's caravan! ;)

Hope the clean up doesn't take too long Damon.

D306

Established Member
Wind was terribe this morining, and i was only outside for 10 mins, waiting for my school bus. there was one up in northampton (near to where i live) at earls barton. Still close to me.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just looks like the usual rough estate ;) :p

TheSlash

Established Member
As you may know, TheSlash has his ear to the ground and so is in touch with the latest issues.
Word has reached TheSlash that the damage was only minor until Coxster tried to get his 'ped out of the garden 8-);)

Coxster

Established Member
It's not my picture, but the pic on the BBC News site of the caravan was taken on the footpath outside my front garden. The pics above are not mine anyway. They were taken about 7:30am - at that time I was half an hour into my 'Monday Marathon' 12 hour shift at work in London. When I left the house at 5'ish (trains are crap at that time in the morning!) there was only a slight breeze. The pictures were taken by my Dad, who sent them to my work e-mail from where I posted them. I only got home at 20:15!

I arrived at the station thinking to myself that the images were fake - there was nothing out of the ordinary to be seen. However, just a couple of minutes down the road you find trees and branches everywhere, bus shelters lying in the middle of grass areas etc. It seems to have only affected a few roads on my estate which is weird as you can see a really obvious border between the affected and unnaffected areas (i.e. the many many branches and trees give way to instant clear roads). Images 5 and 8 are a couple of mins walk from me: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7010266.stm

Word has reached TheSlash that the damage was only minor until Coxster tried to get his 'ped out of the garden 8-);)
It's not a 'ped - it's a scooter. A moped is max 50cc and 30mph. Mine is 125cc and does 60-70mph 8)

TheSlash

Established Member
Can we clarify how much damage was actually done by the Tornado and how much was like it before hand? 8-)

Coxster

Established Member
I'm actually a very careful rider - esure would be proud ;) There is one benefit to having no fence at the moment - it does make getting in and out the drive a lot easier :D Used to have to squeeze in slowly between the car and fence post.

Coxster

Established Member
So that explains the mark on the Gricer-mobile. :roll:
What - am I meant to have driven up the back onto the top of the boot then? If so then I think a stunt like that deserves a round of applause ;)

The Gricer

So that explains the mark on the Gricer-mobile. :roll:

It's actually a bit more than a mark. As you can see in one picture it's a hole. I thought it was made by a washing line eye that was screwed to the post that fell on the car but I suppose it could have been Damon riding over the car practicing his trick cycling!

Some of the pics look a bit blurred but it was quite dark and hissing down with rain at the time.

Frank

TheSlash

Established Member
It's actually a bit more than a mark. As you can see in one picture it's a hole. I thought it was made by a washing line eye that was screwed to the post that fell on the car but I suppose it could have been Damon riding over the car practicing his trick cycling!

Some of the pics look a bit blurred but it was quite dark and hissing down with rain at the time.

Frank
Have you checked it wasn't a stray bullet from a turf war? Better ask Damon's "Gangsta" mates ;)

The Gricer

Have you checked it wasn't a stray bullet from a turf war? Better ask Damon's "Gangsta" mates ;)

Dunno about that but I reckon it could have been a certain medical problem of his involving sudden 'air distubances' that started the tornado in the first place! :grin:

Dennis

Established Member
Dunno about that but I reckon it could have been a certain medical problem of his involving sudden 'air distubances' that started the tornado in the first place! :grin:

ROFL, the "miserable old fart" is making me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.