• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Miniatur Wunderland, Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just toying with a possible idea for a surprise for the family late this year or during next year...

How long does it take to look around the Minatur Wunderland in Hamburg? I imagine it would chew up a good proportion of the day???

There are plenty of interesting looking museums nearby - would there be time to do one of these on the same day as visiting the Wunderland? Or would that be too ambitious...?

Are there any hotels nearby which overlook a railway closely? As in photographically closely and with a clean view?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I visited I was there from about 9am to 3pm.

Veteran Member
I spent about 3 hours there, and could have spent more (but would have needed a meal break!) and it will have been extended since.
My niece and her partner (who are more into cars than trains) ISTR spent longer.

Sorry no experience of hotels but the Ibis Hamburg City near Deichtorplatz looks a possible.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I spent about 5 and a half hours there.

Definitely pre-book an entry slot though, especially if you've got other plans that do.

I also highly recommend the behind the scenes tour; available in English. And the café does a mean Currywurst.

Established Member
Agree with the pre booking. I went at 09.00 on a Sunday morning and had to wait until 10.00, although free drinks in the cafe help. I like the way they politely explain that to do the behind the scenes tour you can’t be above a certain girth as it is a tight squeeze in places.

I’ve used the InterCity hotel in Hamburg, no rail views but near the Hauptbahnhof and you get a free travel pass for the local transport, although you can get cheaper.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you all so far... right... looks like I would need to allow a whole day for it really.

On the point about pre-booking; I would intend to book one of the behind the scenes tours which apart from seeing the bits most visitors can't, it also means you get priority entry with no waiting so it would seem to serve the same purpose as well as getting some additional interest in.

So the key point now would seem to be whether or not anyone can suggest a rail-view hotel in the vicinity...? :smile:

( That doesn't mean I'll ignore the suggestions above... just that a rail view would be by far preferable... :smile: )

87electric

3 hours was enough for me. All the concentration over that period of time to the fine detail just fries my brain. I'd need time out for a restaurant if I was going to go do another attraction (museum, gallery.......) after that. I do like when they change to night scenes with the lighting. But I couldn't find the pink jacketed model of Michael Portillo though.
Yes it gets very busy so I also advise to pre book.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
3 hours was enough for me. All the concentration over that period of time to the fine detail just fries my brain. I'd need time out for a restaurant if I was going to go do another attraction (museum, gallery.......) after that. I do like when they change to night scenes with the lighting. But I couldn't find the pink jacketed model of Michael Portillo though.
Yes it gets very busy so I also advise to pre book.

Your best doing a couple of hours, have a rest in the café for a bit, then go round again to see everything you didn't see first time round.

Also, allow at least a clean 45 minutes just for just standing gawping/planespotting at Knuffingen Airport. Incredible, IMO.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm dusting this plan off with a view to this autumn... considering the Best Western hotel near the airport rather than one closer in to the city centre - does it have any view over the airport itself?

wireforever

well worth a visit been twice with well known rail travel holiday firms there are also lockers to put coats in etc and a gift shop selling model railway items,dvd's of wonderland etc .As previous poster Inter City hotels are very good I have stayed in the Stralsund one which has a HO scale model of the old Stralsund roundhouse with HO scale steam locos in the entrance to the restaurant.

Drsatan

Established Member
I've been there three times and on each occasion I was there for seven to eight hours.

I took periodic breaks and ate a main meal there. The cafe on the ground floor is pretty good and reasonably-priced.

At weekends they are open until 10pm (sometimes midnight) and admission is usually reduced if you enter after 6pm.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've been there three times and on each occasion I was there for seven to eight hours.

I took periodic breaks and ate a main meal there. The cafe on the ground floor is pretty good and reasonably-priced.

At weekends they are open until 10pm (sometimes midnight) and admission is usually reduced if you enter after 6pm.

Late evenings are good - much, much quieter!

CC 72100

Established Member
I was there about 4 hours, pre-reserved on a Friday. Was quiet for first 90 minutes or so but then got a lot a busier. Never felt too busy though and people pretty accommodating at having their fill and moving on if you get my drift.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was there about 4 hours, pre-reserved on a Friday. Was quiet for first 90 minutes or so but then got a lot a busier. Never felt too busy though and people pretty accommodating at having their fill and moving on if you get my drift.

Agree, when it is busy, people were universally good-mannered. The nature of the place, and the sheer enthuaism of the staff, just makes everybody...happy!

CC 72100

Established Member
Agree, when it is busy, people were universally good-mannered. The nature of the place, and the sheer enthuaism of the staff, just makes everybody...happy!

Agree strongly with the last sentence. It's hard to put a finger on it, but you're right, it's a very positive environment. Suppose it stems from the culture from the top with their days for people with modest incomes to visit for free etc. It is infectious!

M28361M

I visited Miniatur Wunderland last month and can definitely recommend the behind the scenes tour. It goes into the details of how the system is controlled and also shows you some hidden in-jokes on the layouts that ordinary visitors may miss.

Note that the tours are restricted to I think 6 people at a time, because of the limited space - there is some ducking under baseboards and squeezing through narrow spaces required as well.

You don't pay in advance but there is a separate queue at the entrance which allows you to go straight to the ticket desk without waiting. You are told to arrive 45 minutes before the tour start time but you can arrive earlier - once you're in you are free to look around on your own before going to the meeting point for the tour.

If staying near the airport bear in mind that it is 25 minutes to the city centre by S-Bahn and then you would need to take the U-Bahn U3 to Baumwall station which is about a 10 minute walk away. A Hamburg AB ticket will cover you for the whole journey.

Capybara

But I couldn't find the pink jacketed model of Michael Portillo though.
A repeat of the programme was shown just after I'd been there, and by coincidence I'd taken a photograph of the precise location where the model had been placed. It wasn't there so it had clearly been removed after his visit.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Agree strongly with the last sentence. It's hard to put a finger on it, but you're right, it's a very positive environment. Suppose it stems from the culture from the top with their days for people with modest incomes to visit for free etc. It is infectious!

The staff culture is really good. For example, I understand they have regular meetings where *all* staff (yes, including the cleaners, catering, cloakroom etc.) can pitch their ideas for things to produce in model form. I'd imagine it's great fun!

Craig2601

Do they still have the wee chocolate factory that gives out a free chocolate? :lol:

Fireless

The staff culture is really good. For example, I understand they have regular meetings where *all* staff (yes, including the cleaners, catering, cloakroom etc.) can pitch their ideas for things to produce in model form. I'd imagine it's great fun!

It's all down to business and their key to success.
The Braun twins are nothing short of PR experts (they managed to become Germany's top tourist attraction with a "model railway" after all) and know that people are most valuable when they are having a good time.

As their target audience is the general public (one famous quote being "If more than half of our visitors are enthusiasts, we can shut the place down"), they rely on the their input to get good ideas.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It's all down to business and their key to success.
The Braun twins are nothing short of PR experts (they managed to become Germany's top tourist attraction with a "model railway" after all) and know that people are most valuable when they are having a good time.

As their target audience is the general public (one famous quote being "If more than half of our visitors are enthusiasts, we can shut the place down"), they rely on the their input to get good ideas.

I've been to a few railway-related attractions in Britain where I feel like I got looked at as being weird just for being there...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, I've booked the flights today for this but I may re-appraise the hotel choice as we will now only be over for two nights, not three, so I may look at something more central to allow more time for sightseeing after visiting the Wunderland.

So back to one of my original questions - any suggested hotels that overlook any of the railways in Hamburg quite closely...?

Quite pleased with the flights - I used Avios points ( Air Miles ) and the residual cash price to pay was just £1 each for the four of us*, return. Plus I'll get to add an A321 to my log on the way out; that'll go nicely with having the A319 and A320 already logged.

*Plus £12 each for each way for specific seat selection, so in reality £100 return for the four of us.

M28361M

So back to one of my original questions - any suggested hotels that overlook any of the railways in Hamburg quite closely...?

It doesn't quite overlook the railway, but the Novum Noorddeutscher Hof is a five minute walk from Hamburg Hauptbahnhof, so is an excellent base for exploring the city. Stayed there earlier this year in a small but comfortable room. One slight oddity was being told I had to hand in my room key at reception every time I left the hotel, which was fine until I got back in the early hours one morning and there was nobody on the front desk!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just been looking at Google Maps... what about the Ibis Budget Hamburg City? That seems to overlook a line and is within a reasonable walking distance from the Wunderland?

Veteran Member
I've just been looking at Google Maps... what about the Ibis Budget Hamburg City? That seems to overlook a line and is within a reasonable walking distance from the Wunderland?
You'd need an upper floor room obviously. I notice too that the Ibis Alster Centrum has a direct view (?through trees) onto the other end of Hbf.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You'd need an upper floor room obviously. I notice too that the Ibis Alster Centrum has a direct view (?through trees) onto the other end of Hbf.

Yes - an upper floor room and also it would need to be at the western end of the building wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.