• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mitigation of disruption announced in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

setdown

So West Midlands Trains have already announced a service gap this evening of over 5 hours between Birmingham and Liverpool. Utterly predictable, it’s a shame you can’t bet on service cancellations!

However, despite the causes of failing to run trains (discussed elsewhere I’m sure), what can be done to mitigate this on the day? This is a recurring issue with said operator (has been since the Central Trains days), and it’s obviously unable to fix the issues, or they would have been by now. So what can be done on the day when it happens?

Try and put on some replacement buses?

Work with other operators to make additional calls at stations missing services?

I’m keen to hear if other operators have different approaches when this happens. What else can be done to help in this situation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brunswick

Don’t see why passengers should suffer over a bag of wind, it’s a disgrace how this country is shutting down over bloody football

dk1

Veteran Member
Don’t see why passengers should suffer over a bag of wind, it’s a disgrace how this country is shutting down over bloody football
It’s just how it is. Many love their football & it doesn’t come much bigger or rarer than this.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Erm, what makes you think bus drivers will not be doing the same thing as the choo choo drivers on their day off ?
The fact that they're much less well paid, and so don't have the luxury of choosing not to come into work.

At the very least, I imagine that WMT are arranging ticket acceptance on Avanti and Merseyrail. Of course, that doesn't help the good denizens of Winsford, Hartford or Acton Bridge.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It’s just how it is. Many love their football & it doesn’t come much bigger or rarer than this.
This. It's not as if it happens every weekend, it is very much a one-off... well, apart from when a member of the royal family pops their clogs.

dk1

Veteran Member
This. It's not as if it happens every weekend, it is very much a one-off... well, apart from when a member of the royal family pops their clogs.
Just seen that local Coop stores are closing at 19:45 tonight so staff can see the game. Overwhelming messages of support for it too.

ExRes

Established Member
Just seen that local Coop stores are closing at 19:45 tonight so staff can see the game. Overwhelming messages of support for it too.

And Tesco, hopefully all the railway staff single handedly crippling the entire country will remember to get their beer in before Tesco closes ...........

dk1

Veteran Member
And Tesco, hopefully all the railway staff single handedly crippling the entire country will remember to get their beer in before Tesco closes ...........
The fridges, garages & outbuildings are all ready brimming full.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's a bit like SWR cancelling the majority of the Salisbury - Basingstoke/Reading stoppers today but not putting in extra calls on the Exeter - London services to give the stations missed (Overton/Whitchurch/Grateley) an service to fill the 10 hour gap towards Basingstoke & 10.5 hours towards Salisbury).

Wait they have decided to waste taxpayer money on hiring in buses which most likely are not being advertised at the stations so will be going back and forth carrying fresh air costing the taxpayer money as well as requiring extra staff to monitor the buses at the major stations (which won't get used as they get overtaken by the train for anybody boarding at Andover wanting Salisbury or Basingstoke & beyond).

Most likely anybody at the stations pressing the help button will be put to the useless NRE helpline in India.

Last edited:

On Moderation
I hope never to see any reference to rail workers as “key workers” ever again, then. Because I bet doctors and nurses aren’t staying at home to watch the football rather than working.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I hope never to see any reference to rail workers as “key workers” ever again, then. Because I bet doctors and nurses aren’t staying at home to watch the football rather than working.
Rail staff choosing not to work their days off is perfectly acceptable.

Established Member
I believe the Birmingham drivers on the route work a mix of local and Liverpool trains. Are there similar, proportional cancellations of 100% on the West Midlands local services over five hours
So West Midlands Trains have already announced a service gap this evening of over 5 hours between Birmingham and Liverpool. Utterly predictable, it’s a shame you can’t bet on service cancellations!

However, despite the causes of failing to run trains (discussed elsewhere I’m sure), what can be done to mitigate this on the day? This is a recurring issue with said operator (has been since the Central Trains days), and it’s obviously unable to fix the issues, or they would have been by now. So what can be done on the day when it happens?

Try and put on some replacement buses?

Work with other operators to make additional calls at stations missing services?

I’m keen to hear if other operators have different approaches when this happens. What else can be done to help in this situation?

I believe the Birmingham drivers on the route work a mix of local and Liverpool trains. Are there similar, proportional cancellations on the West Midlands local services of 100% over five hours? If not, it could be argued the operator is choosing to abandon a major long distance hourly route over a local more frequent Birmingham service.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The matter has already been debated extensively here:
What else can be done to help in this situation?
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for solutions, feel free to post in the following thread:

If anyone would like travel advice for today, please use the following thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/travel-advice-for-cancellations-11-07.219720/

Status
Not open for further replies.