• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk 4 flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was just wondering how flexible the formations of Mk4s were. I know that the HST Mk3s sets are pretty flexible in that you can pretty much combine them in any combination that you want (such as the FGW set that was almost entirly made up of TFOs for a railtour this summer). So could you have for instance a Mk4 set made up of only TFOs for example and use it in passenger carrying service?

My other question relating to Mk4s is can they be used in service with any locos other than the 91s or the 67 drags? So could you couple up for instance a 90 to a Mk4 set and use it in service with no other modifications?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
90s have been used on the ECML with MK4s under GNER. I think the reason was 91s were having an overhaul or something. They were used on Leeds trains because although they are slower, the quicker acceleration helped with the stop-start nature of the services :)

jonhewes

I believe that MKIV sets can be used in DVT (Push Pull Mode)with any TDM fitted loco. They could in theory be hauled as conventional pasenger rolling stock in service by any ETS fitted loco.

In the past they have operated with 89001 and various class 90s (both under Intercity and GNER).

Footage of them operating with a Belgian liveried 90 can be seen here

rail-britain

Established Member
When the Mark 4 coaches were first introduced on the Kings Cross - Leeds service, many had 4 or 5 First Class, 2 RFM, and 4 Standard
The only restrictions to the formation were the TSOE and DVT at each end and the total ETH rating

It would therefore not be possible to have an entire rake of First Class, unless it had a DVT at each end

Mk4's can be hauled by anything.

Apart from 91's, been hauled on them by 47's, 67's, 89001, 90's.

junglejames

Established Member
I think this was when the 91s went from being 910XX to 911XX

Yep, you would be right. A major overhaul to improve reliability. Including using up the space that was left aside for tilt equipment. So it would take a fair bit of work to enable them to tilt now! For something to do with improved cooling i think.

Failed Unit

Established Member
In the 91 snow the class 91s were removed as they didn't like powder snow and the were replaced by many different locos including the class 31. Shame we haven't got the spare locos or drivers with route knowledge to do that if needed now.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the answers guys, its what I was expecting but always nice to be sure :)

Crossforth

Established Member
In the 91 snow the class 91s were removed as they didn't like powder snow and the were replaced by many different locos including the class 31. Shame we haven't got the spare locos or drivers with route knowledge to do that if needed now.

Has anybody got any pictures of this as I would find it interesting to see

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Mk4's can be hauled by anything.

Apart from 91's, been hauled on them by 47's, 67's, 89001, 90's.

Depends.

Mk IV's are fitted with tightlock couplings, with the exception of the pointy end of the DVT (conventional drawhook), and the north end of the TOE coach ( the one marshaled next to the 91), which has a drop head buckeye. That means it can be coupled to a buckeye fitted loco, or one with a conventional screw link, if you get the buckeye out of the way, and extend the buffers. Only the DVT & TOE can be coupled to a loco. Any other coach needs a tighlock fitted barrier vehicle.

Provided that you can couple to it, yes they can be hauled by anything, but if you want the set to play in Push Pull mode, the loco needs to be TDM fitted, and that seriously limits your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.