• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk1s in Crimson/Cream - shades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
I've recently noticed that there seems to be a fair bit of variation in the shade of red (technically crimson) used on BR MK1s around the UK.

The coaches that seem to appear fairly regularly on DBS-operated charters for example seem to have a lighter shade of red, closer to scarlet than crimson.

Others such as the Lounge Car Service rake on the Bluebell Railways seem to use a much deeper shade of red (which is to my eye much smarter).

What is the correct shade, and why is there so much variation?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
The shade of crimson seen in the crimson and cream livery was always prone to variation. The colour and numbers of layers of varnish applied would darken the shade down noticeably, while exposure to extended periods of sunlight and automated carriage washers would often cause it to fade. The Western and Southern regions of BR typically applied a greater number of coats of varnish than the others, which resulted in the darker shade as displayed by the Bluebell’s rake.

The official Railways Executive designation was Crimson Lake - British Standard colour reference BS381C colour no.540 ‘crimson’. What is supposed to be the correct shade is shown on this page, which tends towards the darker hue in my opinion: http://www.willowpowdercoating.co.uk/willow_powder_coating_BS381C_colour_chart.html

The livery was devised in the days when reference panels were used when mixing paint shades at individual depots, which would lead to further variation, even between “ex-works” vehicles, between regions. It is possible that some variation has crept in during the intervening years between the precise reproductions used by DB Schenker and preservation groups. I would err towards the Bluebell Railway’s interpretation as giving a more faithful representation of the livery as intended – I certainly agree that it looks more appealing.

341o2

Established Member
unofficially known as "blood and custard" - the colour scheme, I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.