• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mk4 or more 197s for TfW

Russel

Established Member
The catering cupboard is a ridiculous idea. I bet at mid life refurb they will be converted back to approx 6 seats

Yes, agreed, it reminds me of the TM office on the 350s, both in terms of wasted space and how much use it'll see.

I bet it'll prove too difficult to remove too, just like on the 350's, so will just have the doors removed and some luggage racks thrown in!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Topological

Yes, agreed, it reminds me of the TM office on the 350s, both in terms of wasted space and how much use it'll see.

I bet it'll prove too difficult to remove too, just like on the 350's, so will just have the doors removed and some luggage racks thrown in!
To be fair, luggage racks would have some value.

I do not get the catering cupboard, but it is still a lot less space for two of those catering cupboards in a 5-car set, than is lost from the Mk4 buffet counter and kitchen.

Krokodil

Established Member
Totally agree. To those who say "oh but then the train would be cancelled instead" I say that simply means the trains are not reliable enough. I don't think there are notably more cancellations on Thameslink owing to unit faults compared with the 319s 10 years ago. I shall use my GWR example again. Never had a cancelled HST in 25 years, aside from days where the whole railway had gone into meltdown. My morning runs up to Paddington would all have come off Landore depot where there were few, if any, spare sets. Short formations with the IETs are well into double figures now.
Of course HSTs were formed of individual vehicles which could be swapped out at will. At worst you might see a 2+7 vice 2+8.

I do not get the catering cupboard, but it is still a lot less space for two of those catering cupboards in a 5-car set, than is lost from the Mk4 buffet counter and kitchen.
But you actually get something out of the Mk4 buffet and kitchen. The catering cupboards on 197s are useless. Even if they ever use them for their intended purpose, you'll never see both of the ones in a double set in use at the same time, so what idiot decided to fit them to the two-car sets?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Going of this forum and WNXX, GWR is very likely to be getting the 175s. Given the current experience of TfW handing the units back, I suspect Angel would choose GWR over TfW keeping them.

The mk4/67s are obviously the wrong choice, but its too late to change it. They can be replaced next time TfW needs some more new stock.
Fair point about the ROSCOs.
You do understand that TfW crews can no longer work 175s, so that would require training.

Honestly, why would 197s not be the answer? No training needed, and fully interworkable with other units on the route.

The 175s are much nicer trains, but the ship sailed.
Because they're **** units in comparison. Not as bad as the 195, niceish interior when new, but everything will start falling apart like a product off Temu after a few years.

Philip

On Moderation
I have travelled on a few 197s recently, they all have a working hydrodynamic brake but on some units this only seems to kick in at lower speeds, after the train has been braking for a few seconds - and the engine doesn't rev as hard. On other units it kicks in almost immediately and the engine revs hard, any reason for these differences?