• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Bedford again

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Sinnett

Farce again with a two hour journey from London.
It appears there's some incident in the sidings at Bedford with the rozzers on guard at the road gate and FCC trains stabled in the station rather than in the sidings. Only one platform handling active FCC services.
What was strange as there were trains in the station were delays southbound... perhaps drivers stuck elsewhere.

Not a good time for Thameslink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
The raf bomb squad are on scene according to reports,http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/today-s-choice/station-chaos-1-4580605

Commuters were evacuated from Bedford Railway Station yesterday after a security alert.
From around 4.15pm on Wednesday no services were stopping at the station after claims a suspicious package was left on a train.
Trains were still running through the station and alternative bus services were being put on to help people get to their destinations.
Nearby pub The Ship was also closed for around half an hour, where officers found two bags and a further unknown package which had been left at the premises.
A police spokesman said during the incident: “We are at the train station dealing with a security alert. It is currently closed and no trains are stopping at the moment, everybody has been evacuated.
“There are currently officers at the scene assessing the situation.”
Police arrested a person in connection with the incident. The station re-opened just after 6pm.

tsr

Established Member
Buses are still running between Bedford and Luton Airport Parkway, St Neots and Bletchley and southbound EMT services are still not stopping at Bedford. Delays of up to 75 minutes are officially reported. So... I'm not sure which parts of the station and which lines are open (indeed, I am not sure if any are still closed - I had heard there are no current closures), but it looks like the reported chaos is still ongoing!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
One person apprehended - a mate of mine saw him being carted off. Exclusion zone in place around train involved. Investigations continue.

westcoaster

Established Member
Up and down bletchley shut due to exclusion zone , as is the whole of Bedford yard, units are going to cricklewood instead, should be fun and games tomorrow.

ushawk

Established Member
Doesn't help due to the lack of slack in the timetables so delays are just snowballing.

From what I have seen reported, 1 man has been arrested by armed police and was armed with a knife on an FCC train. Other details appear to be sketchy.

tsr

Established Member
Doesn't help due to the lack of slack in the timetables so delays are just snowballing.

From what I have seen reported, 1 man has been arrested by armed police and was armed with a knife on an FCC train. Other details appear to be sketchy.

That's not a good situation to have on a DOO train (mind you, it's not like a guard would be able to stop a knife-wielding person, but they may have spotted suspicious activity sooner or called for BTP assistance before the suspicious items were distributed).

I hope anyone who causes unnecessary major disruption is suitably charged and brought to justice.

I am also interested that exclusion zones remain in place. If there has been no way after this time to remove the suspicious items or make them safe, there must be some major concerns on the part of the RAF. Their teams are very efficient and don't hang around!

ushawk

Established Member
Were Marston Vale services turning back at St. Johns or just not running?

LM said they weren't running between Bedford and St Johns, but buses were running the full length of the line, buses are also running between Luton Apt Pkwy and Bedford to supplement trains.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lets hope they throw away the key. Ruddy nutters disrupting peoples lives.

Helpful - I hope you never suffer a vast mental breakdown. :roll: (unless you missed the :D)

LM ran Marston Vale services and i assume they turned at Saint Johns. FCC ran a bus service to Bletchley to augment the train service.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Helpful - I hope you never suffer a vast mental breakdown. :roll: (unless you missed the :D)

Thats nothing to what i would say if that knife had come into contact with anyone. Theres always the next time :roll:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thats nothing to what i would say if that knife had come into contact with anyone. Theres always the next time :roll:

ok. I simply suggest that a better understanding of mental ilness would help. It might happen to anyone of us.

Dr.iver

Farce again with a two hour journey from London.
It appears there's some incident in the sidings at Bedford with the rozzers on guard at the road gate and FCC trains stabled in the station rather than in the sidings. Only one platform handling active FCC services.
What was strange as there were trains in the station were delays southbound... perhaps drivers stuck elsewhere.

Not a good time for Thameslink

FARCE ! No not really the bomb squad were investigating someone who either had or had planted explosive materials on a train, maybe next time they shouldn't bother and just wait to see what happens that way everyone gets home on time, well unless theirs an explosion and then some people sadly won't but hey as long as the majority don't have to miss their dinner then that's okay

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To wrap this thread up, safe to say that the individual concerned can be expecting a lengthy stay at HM hotels. The exclusion zone was finally lifted around 0100 this morning.

Meanwhile hats off to FCC control and drivers, who managed to shuffle a whole load of stock in the small hours so that there was a full TL service this morning with no short forms.

KYellowhammer

FARCE ! No not really the bomb squad were investigating someone who either had or had planted explosive materials on a train, maybe next time they shouldn't bother and just wait to see what happens that way everyone gets home on time, well unless theirs an explosion and then some people sadly won't but hey as long as the majority don't have to miss their dinner then that's okay

Maybe the OP was unaware of what was occurring. However it does pay to ascertain circumstances before sounding off about these things and pointing the finger, I agree.

Very good response. I know it's a cliche; but it is nevertheless, worth repeating: "Better to arrive late in this world than late in the next". :|

Status
Not open for further replies.