• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Kegworth is a good place for a feeder station given how close it is to Ratcliffe Power Station. :)
Despite being the last coal fired station scheduled to operate on the mainland, it will be closed before electrification likely reaches Kegworth, and already goes long periods out of operation. It does mean of course that there is the infrastructure nearby for transmission of power.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It does mean of course that there is the infrastructure nearby for transmission of power.
I think that's the main point here. Incidentally there's a plan for a waste incinerator on the site that would generate some power, once the power station itself has closed.

InTheEastMids

I think that's the main point here. Incidentally there's a plan for a waste incinerator on the site that would generate some power, once the power station itself has closed.

Indeed, the grid connection would be provided by National Grid from their 400kV network, not Uniper who own the power station site. I recall that the GSP and railway substation were (are...?) to be from one of the two 400kV lines that cross the railway and Kegworth Rd between Kegworth and Ratcliffe village

Elecman

Established Member
Indeed, the grid connection would be provided by National Grid from their 400kV network, not Uniper who own the power station site. I recall that the GSP and railway substation were (are...?) to be from one of the two 400kV lines that cross the railway and Kegworth Rd between Kegworth and Ratcliffe village
Much more likely from the former power station switching yard rather than directly off a line and the underground cable to the Nat Grid/ NR feeder station equipment aka Heyrod and ( Rugeley/ Brereton ) and Harker

QueensCurve

Established Member
Despite being the last coal fired station scheduled to operate on the mainland, it will be closed before electrification likely reaches Kegworth, and already goes long periods out of operation. It does mean of course that there is the infrastructure nearby for transmission of power.

The coal fired power stations are, for the most part, cold and dark. The rest will shortly follow.

59CosG95

Established Member
View attachment 83008

I noticed this morning that one of the isolator towers on the slow line at Wymington appears to be open. Presumably that would suggest the line isn't powered up.
That looks like the disconnector in the centre of the insulated overlap - from memory the isolators are normally open. The other two across track spanwire structures carry the power from the TSC, sandwiching the structure you've taken a picture of here - and both of them are normally closed.
Not that this would be much of a problem at the moment - the 360s are a couple of months away yet!

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I don't have a map for what precisely is where on the MML scheme, so with that proviso...

Just because an isolator is open doesn't mean the power is switched off, there are a number of such isolators which are normally left open but which can be closed to allow the provision of electrical supply from an adjacent feeder/electrical section (track sectioning, often abbreviated to TSC and/or ITSC/MPTSC for track sectioning cabin, intermediate track sectioning cabin and mid point track sectioning cabin).

If a feeder was to fail, you can reconfigure what is fed from where by opening and closing various isolators.

Also, there is testing on-going, opening and closing of electrical isolators is to be expected.

59CosG95

Established Member
If a feeder was to fail, you can reconfigure what is fed from where by opening and closing various isolators.
Bearing in mind that the MML is currently end-fed from Chalton FS (replacing Sundon), it's little wonder that NR wanted to get Braybrooke delivered.
AIUI, if Chalton were to go offline, Borehamwood would probably only be able to feed as far as Chalton, while everywhere north would be stranded. Braybrooke would be able to feed south if Chalton were to fail after KO1a was complete.

(This assumes that all the other legacy feeders/TSCs were replaced by the KO1-specified sites at Napsbury, East Hyde, Leagrave, Chalton (done), Ampthill (done) & Bedford (done). Those last 3 were basically like-for-like replacements, but the other sites are in completely different locations to the two existing ones (one off Lower Harpenden Rd, south of Luton Airport Pkwy; one near the St Albans Recycling Centre), and I've no idea how those two sites feed.

richieb1971

Established Member
1599481776257.png

First time I have seen RTT show a freight working (ECS move probably) on P4 at Wellingborough.

If it runs (Old Dalby / Willesden) I will go out to see it Sharnbrook as for the first time in 30+ years I have an opportunity to see 2 trains cross each other on the slow lines.

sharpley

View attachment 83234

First time I have seen RTT show a freight working (ECS move probably) on P4 at Wellingborough.

If it runs (Old Dalby / Willesden) I will go out to see it Sharnbrook as for the first time in 30+ years I have an opportunity to see 2 trains cross each other on the slow lines.
Saw 2 class 47s with 2 barrier wagons heading towards Old Dalby earlier this morning, so that movement you mentioned could be them dragging a unit to Willesden

EDIT : Old Dalby to Willesden now on the move.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Presumably this location will play a part in the power supplies for the eastern branch of HS2?

MadCommuter

I have scanned through many pages and can't see an answer to my two questions below. Apologies if I've missed them:

1. Is any of the electrification energised north of Bedford?
  2. If so, have any electric trains run or are planned to run yet?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I have scanned through many pages and can't see an answer to my two questions below. Apologies if I've missed them:

1. Is any of the electrification energised north of Bedford?
  2. If so, have any electric trains run or are planned to run yet?

1) yes, all of it.
2) not yet, but planned, precise details tbc.

Domh245

Established Member
A 90 was used as part of the test train for the latter stages of the GW wiring.

Running a specific test train according to a test plan is different to just running a train (which was my reading of richie's post). At the moment the test plan is still the DATS frankentrain (including both 90035 and 91s unpowered) AFAIK?

richieb1971

Established Member
I believe the power was turned on a month or 6 weeks ago. Seems like no reason to hold back on testing if the infrastructure is up and running. What does it cost to power the lines when nothing is using it?

Strangely, on facebook some trains were cancelled in the past 2 days due to OHLE problems south of Bedford. I don't have more details, just commuters getting upset again.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
I believe the power was turned on a month or 6 weeks ago. Seems like no reason to hold back on testing if the infrastructure is up and running. What does it cost to power the lines when nothing is using it?

The cost of powering the OLE when nothing is using it is negligible. There is, of course, the slight issue of a pandemic which requires social distancing for the test staff on the 'frankentrain' and there's also the delays in getting the Class 360 stock to EMR. No hurry and be patient would be the general message here.

richieb1971

Established Member
I've been following this thread and the EWR thread since 2012 or so, patience is something i've learned to live with.

furnessvale

Established Member
A lot cheaper than replacing the wire if the 40 thieves find out it is sitting there for the taking!

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I've been following this thread and the EWR thread since 2012 or so, patience is something i've learned to live with.

I know what you mean!

A lot cheaper than replacing the wire if the 40 thieves find out it is sitting there for the taking!

Yes if you are not drawing current it is just residual losses I^2R etc. so very low cost indeed.

Elecman

Established Member
The main losses will be transformer losses in the 400/25KV transformers and slight insulator leakage capacitance and induction losses. You only get I2R losses when current so that will be very negligible with just the leakage current flows.

Class 170101

Established Member
I thought a Class 91 set had been 'dragged' to the MML for testing purposes both pan up and down and was stored on the MML somewhere?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought a Class 91 set had been 'dragged' to the MML for testing purposes both pan up and down and was stored on the MML somewhere?
It’s a mixed test train rather than a “91 set” that includes at least the 2 x 91s, hauled between 2 x 43s. It’s what post #3861 above is referring to.