• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

InTheEastMids

The MMLEP is cleverly designed with relatively few high capacity ATFS sites, only Braybrooke needing a new compound. The maximum power it would draw from a 400kV line would be less than 5% of line capacity, not a great imbalance.
Can't remember where I saw it, so might have misremembered but I think the next ATFS was originally proposed for a new site between Ratcliffe-on-Soar village and Kegworth, where 2 400 kV lines cross the railway. Something like...

Although interestingly, HS2 propose(d) a GSP in a very similar area in 2018 that would be right next to the MML (connected by cable to HS2), slightly North of the above site.
"an option (grid supply point 2) south of the Ratcliffe-on-Soar Power Station, east of Kegworth Road and adjacent to the A453 Remembrance Way, which would require a feeder cable route 2.6km in length along the A453 corridor (this is the preferred grid supply point option taken forward into the Proposed Scheme)"
Source: ES Report (publishing.service.gov.uk)

I would like to think that whichever came first, MML or HS2 Ph2b, they would look for some synergy here.

It doesn't. A few portions of the journey (including the stretch between Desborough and approx. a mile west of the Braybrooke site) were trimmed off.

If you go to 41:50 of this video, the substation will be connected to the transmission tower to the left (East) side of the railway.
Nottingham to London St Pancras, Drivers Eye View | Class 43 HST! - YouTube

An interesting article in Modern Railways on how introduction of a pile cap enabled SPL to use standard foundations on 93% of the MML scheme, instead of around 40% without, resulting in a halving of the time, and presumably enabling cost savings too on what typically amounts to a third of the total electrification cost.

Elsewhere it notes how SPL is working with NR to develop continuation of electrification further north than Market Harborough, with plans divided into 8 route sections. With the connection at Braybrooke in place, presumably there is some element of progress north that would be limited to stringing the wires up, so maybe there is a low cost win that takes the scheme closer to Leicester at a relatively low cost per km track mile if there was the desire to keep things moving.

Agree - some of the bridge works North of Harborough were done years ago, so getting to Wigston at least ought to be reasonably straightforward.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
Some of the bridges North of Leicester were also raised in the recent past. The GCR bridge across the MML was also built because the line was soon (!!) to be electrified.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Some of the bridges North of Leicester were also raised in the recent past. The GCR bridge across the MML was also built because the line was soon (!!) to be electrified.
That's true but taking it beyond Leicester (and even maybe Wigston) takes it well beyond a very simple add-on scheme of predominately stringing some wires up connected to an existing supply.

59CosG95

Established Member
That's true but taking it beyond Leicester (and even maybe Wigston) takes it well beyond a very simple add-on scheme of predominately stringing some wires up connected to an existing supply.
From what I can remember, a sectioning site was planned for Wigston. Not sure where the next site was, other than that Kegworth would be the next ATFS. I'd imagine Syston (or similar) would be the next mid-point sectioning site.

WAO

There are two parts to an ATFS; the SGT's or transformers from the 400/275kV supply and the NR switchgear connecting to the OLE. They can be in one (divided) compound as at Braybrooke and Patford Bridge, or in two, joined with a 25/50kV "extension lead". It's clearly preferable to use an existing HV connection (i.e Ratcliffe power station site's switching compound); NR can then site its lineside switchgear, wherever's convenient.

WAO

Elecman

Established Member
There are two parts to an ATFS; the SGT's or transformers from the 400/275kV supply and the NR switchgear connecting to the OLE. They can be in one (divided) compound as at Braybrooke and Patford Bridge, or in two, joined with a 25/50kV "extension lead". It's clearly preferable to use an existing HV connection (i.e Ratcliffe power station site's switching compound); NR can then site its lineside switchgear, wherever's convenient.

WAO
It is ussually a 25 kV feeder cable and the ATFS transformers convert it to the 2x25kV 180 degree separated supplies for the ‘50kV‘ ATF

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

WAO
I was intrigued so -- File:Patford Bridge Substation - geograph.org.uk - 183276.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

John Webb

Established Member

Nottingham59

Established Member
Thanks for posting those images of Patford Bridge. All electricity pylons are ugly, but that one takes the biscuit!

It also answers the questions I had upthread - the tap is between two of the three phases of each circuit, and they tap into both circuits separately, presumably for redundancy.

themiller

Thanks for posting those images of Patford Bridge. All electricity pylons are ugly, but that one takes the biscuit!

It also answers the questions I had upthread - the tap is between two of the three phases of each circuit, and they tap into both circuits separately, presumably for redundancy.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people can’t get enough of pylons. See https://www.pylonofthemonth.org/

WAO

It is ussually a 25 kV feeder cable and the ATFS transformers convert it to the 2x25kV 180 degree separated supplies for the ‘50kV‘ ATF

I was under the impression that the SGT was a 400/50kV affair with the centre tap of the secondary earthed, thus deriving the opposite phase 25kV supplies that the AT system uses. Perhaps we mean the same thing.

WAO

38Cto15E

Thank you very much swt, I am aware that the EMU service does not and is not scheduled to reach Market Harborough, for the time being at least.

However, just pretend this part of the post is from 4 or 5 years ago, "Are Wellingborough and Kettering commuters dreading the arrival of EMU's for their commute to London?"

My original post was not very concise, the point I was trying to make, was with electrification to Corby; Wellingborough and Kettering and Corby commuters have lost their Inter City commute, will the same happen to Market Harborough when electrification arrives at the town?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you very much swt, I am aware that the EMU service does not and is not scheduled to reach Market Harborough, for the time being at least.

However, just pretend this part of the post is from 4 or 5 years ago, "Are Wellingborough and Kettering commuters dreading the arrival of EMU's for their commute to London?"

My original post was not very concise, the point I was trying to make, was with electrification to Corby; Wellingborough and Kettering and Corby commuters have lost their Inter City commute, will the same happen to Market Harborough when electrification arrives at the town?
Surely not, because there’s no known plans (except in random forum suggestions) to divert the EMU service from Corby, not least because there won’t be enough of them? So Market Harborough will be served by 810s as currently planned, just that they’ll be able to change from electric to diesel during the stop.

AM9

Veteran Member

I doubt that there are many commuters who would describe their feeling as 'dreading' such a change, (apart from a few who tend to be leading lights on commuter pressure groups).

MarkLong

I doubt that there are many commuters who would describe their feeling as 'dreading' such a change, (apart from a few who tend to be leading lights on commuter pressure groups).
I think the semi-fast London-Nottingham/Sheffield service will still calling at Wellingborough and Kettering, even the fast service perhaps will still calling at Market Harborough.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the semi-fast London-Nottingham/Sheffield service will still calling at Wellingborough and Kettering, even the fast service perhaps will still calling at Market Harborough.
You must have missed all the EMR Timetable discussions, because it just doesn’t work like that after May. Kettering and Market Harborough get calls in both Nottingham trains, but no Derby/Sheffield. Wellingborough gets no intercity calls normally, but there’s a couple of peak calls.
Better discussed here though:

MarkLong

You must have missed all the EMR Timetable discussions, because it just doesn’t work like that after May. Kettering and Market Harborough get calls in both Nottingham trains, but no Derby/Sheffield. Wellingborough gets no intercity calls normally, but there’s a couple of peak calls.
Better discussed here though:
OK, i have missed that, sorry.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I took my exercise today and happened to have my camera....Glendon views South and North. There is nothing else happening yet apart from the vegetation clearance work.

Attachments

• DSC00514 Glendon S.JPG
    DSC00514 Glendon S.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 167
  • DSC00515 Glendon N.JPG
    DSC00515 Glendon N.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 167

59CosG95

Established Member
I took my exercise today and happened to have my camera....Glendon views South and North. There is nothing else happening yet apart from the vegetation clearance work.
Looking north I can see that, of the 3 TTC locations south of the overlap:
  • The one closest to the bridge has its pile in position, with pile cap & holding down bolts fitted
  • The pile for the one in the middle isn't fully down yet (will probably get sorted next time the piling subcontractors, Van Elle, pay a visit)
  • The one immediately next to the overlap has its mast leg installed, but awaits its boom.
Additionally, one of the two TTC locations in the overlap itself now has its mast (sans boom).

Kneedown

Established Member
Actually drove a train to and from London yesterday and today, and the verticals for TTC's all appear to be in place from Kettering to Kettering Nth/ former Glendon Jct. I counted over 30. No horizontal arms yet though.

59CosG95

Established Member
Actually drove a train to and from London yesterday and today, and the verticals for TTC's all appear to be in place from Kettering to Kettering Nth/ former Glendon Jct. I counted over 30. No horizontal arms yet though.
Very nice indeed!

In other news, work to prepare the track for the OLE continues apace further north towards Market Harborough...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-223843_LinkedIn.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329-223843_LinkedIn.jpg
    990.5 KB · Views: 120

Flying Phil

Established Member
That would be the troughing on these pictures? taken at Rushton looking South and North.

Attachments

• DSC00516 Rushton S.JPG
    DSC00516 Rushton S.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 118
  • DSC00517 Rushton N.JPG
    DSC00517 Rushton N.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 116