• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML Electrification: progress updates

contractador

They'll only just be able to cover the existing planned diagrams definitely not Corby.

Simple solution to release some 700s - less Thameslink services on Great Northern. Now I wonder where there are 21 EMUs which could fill the balance over there?

Out of interest, what prevents the procurement of more 700s to extend the Thameslink terminus to Corby when it becomes wired?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A0wen

On Moderation
Out of interest, what prevents the procurement of more 700s to extend the Thameslink terminus to Corby when it becomes wired?

Apart from the fact there are no plans to hand Bedford to Corby over to Thameslink?

All the DFT documentation has been pretty clear that Corby is remaining part of EMT and will be moving to a half-hourly frequency in due course - which will be once electrification is complete.

DaveN

Bedford is 7tph short term (2018) 8tph long term (2019)
Bedford is 8tph peak / 4tph off peak

Brighton 2tph [TL1] & Gatwick 2tph [TL2] (all time)
East Grinstead 2tph [TL3] & Littlehampton 2tph [TL4] (peak only)

All Bedford Thameslink trains [TL1-4] are Bedford, Flitwick, Harlington, Leagrave, Luton, Luton Airport Parkway, Harpenden, St Albans City, St Pancras, ...
Note that TL3 are due to skip Harlington, Leagrave, Luton Airport Parkway and TL4 Harlington, Flitwick and Luton Airport Parkway.
The last minute (in railway terms) announcement of this probably means that TL3 will be skipping Flitwick and Harpenden as well.
Although it hasn't been publicised much the proposed timetable actually has the TL2s not starting at Bedford station in the morning peak.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can I remind all posters on this thread that this is an infrastructure thread for discussion of the committed Midland Mainline electrification scheme. Speculation on future extensions, rolling stock etc etc is off topic! Thanks.

richieb1971

Established Member
I went to have a look around Sharnbrook and there no evidence that anything has changed as far as the 4 track re-install. It looks like there is some activity of building one of those power transformer things in what was the old scrap yard on the north eastern side of the junction. I could see lots of rusty meshed bars criss crossing which I assume they pour concrete over to make the base for whatever is going on top. All 3 pics taken 9/1/18. 1st pic is Radwell facing north towards Sharnbrook. This area was supposed to be piled on 6/1. No evidence of that. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are of Sharnbrook junction. 2nd pic is facing south, 3rd pic is facing north.

radwell.jpg

sharnbrooksouth.jpg

Sharnbrooknorth.jpg

snowball

Established Member
Press release

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...-for-next-stage-of-midland-main-line-upgrade/

The next phase of the Midland Main Line upgrade is set to begin in Corby this month with a major road bridge to be reconstructed.

The bridge over the railway on Cottingham Road near Corby Station will be raised to allow electric wires the sufficient clearance needed to pass beneath it as part of the upgrade of the line between Kettering and Corby.

As a result, Cottingham Road will be closed for around seven months between 19 January and 14 August with clearly posted diversions in place.

A drop-in event will take place at Corby Station on Tuesday 16 January between 2.30pm and 6.30pm, where members of the Network Rail team will be on hand to answer any questions.

Spencer Gibbens, Network Rail’s Principal Programme Sponsor for the Midland Main Line, said: “We are currently carrying out the biggest upgrade of the Midland Main Line since it was first built in 1870 with an investment of over £1billion that will create a bigger, faster, more reliable network which will bring significant, long term benefits. During the closure of Cottingham Road we’ll do everything we can to keep disruption to a minimum and thank residents and motorists for their understanding while this important project takes place.”

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for the update and pics Richieb - we used to live in Melchbourne and worked in Bedford, so know Sharnbrook quite well.:smile:

richieb1971

Established Member
Thanks for the update and pics Richieb - we used to live in Melchbourne and worked in Bedford, so know Sharnbrook quite well.:smile:

Rubbish day for pictures. I did ask the workmen what the time lines were as far their schedules are concerned but the workmen only govern the space they work in. Mostly doing preparation work rather than the actual work.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I went to have a look around Sharnbrook and there no evidence that anything has changed as far as the 4 track re-install. It looks like there is some activity of building one of those power transformer things in what was the old scrap yard on the north eastern side of the junction. I could see lots of rusty meshed bars criss crossing which I assume they pour concrete over to make the base for whatever is going on top.
radwell.jpg

Rebar - it is always rusty - it is a mesh used to strengthen the concrete structure and hold it in compression ( if i remember my construction lectures!) aka Reinforced concrete

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Rebar - it is always rusty - it is a mesh used to strengthen the concrete structure and hold it in compression ( if i remember my construction lectures!) aka Reinforced concrete
Once embedded in concrete, due to work by Marcel Pourbaix, the concrete alkalinity keeps the steel in the passive zone and it does not corrode. Concrete is brilliant in compression but lousy in tension. Steel is great in tension . So the steel is to help the concrete that way - if you like - it is a COMPOSITE.

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
In the Radwell shot. Do you think the gantries will be 2 x 2 lines, or do you think they will go 1 x 4? The reason I ask is because its quite possible they may over hang the gantries from the sides which will mean the photogenic nature of future photo shots will not be so obstructed by wires and uprights. Do network rail have a specified restriction on distance across the width of the track that a single gantry can span? The distance between the slow and fast lines, along with the height differential is substantial too.

jyte

In the Radwell shot. Do you think the gantries will be 2 x 2 lines, or do you think they will go 1 x 4? The reason I ask is because its quite possible they may over hang the gantries from the sides which will mean the photogenic nature of future photo shots will not be so obstructed by wires and uprights. Do network rail have a specified restriction on distance across the width of the track that a single gantry can span? The distance between the slow and fast lines, along with the height differential is substantial too.

If there's a substantial difference in height between the slows and fasts, I think they'll go with 2 track cantilevers like on the GWEP.

The biggest portal I've seen with my eyes has been 6 tracks which I think is somewhere around stratford. The one immediately north of Euston springs to mind as another possible contender. The width of the span will depend on a variety of factors.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Once embedded in concrete, due to work by Marcel Pourbaix, the concrete alkalinity keeps the steel in the passive zone and it odes not corrode. Concrete is brilliant in compression but lousy in tension. Steel is great in tension . So the steel is to help the concrete that way - if you like - it is a COMPOSITE.

thanks - mine was a linked course module as part of a different subject. I knew i had some of the details correct!

deltic08

On Moderation
I noticed a semaphore signal on Richieb1971 photos of Sharnbrook. I thought these would have gone years ago being so close to London and the South.

mwmbwls

I noticed a semaphore signal on Richieb1971 photos of Sharnbrook. I thought these would have gone years ago being so close to London and the South.
Semaphore signals and proper Midland signal boxes survived in the 'Leicester Gap' on the Midland route out of St. Pancras between Irchester south s/box & beyond Syston north junction at Sileby s/box until 1987.
More information can be found here:
https://signalbox.org/branches/jh/leicestergap.php

deltic08

On Moderation
Semaphore signals and proper Midland signal boxes survived in the 'Leicester Gap' on the Midland route out of St. Pancras between Irchester south s/box & beyond Syston north junction at Sileby s/box until 1987.
More information can be found here:
https://signalbox.org/branches/jh/leicestergap.php
Thank you for the info. It was lovely to be reminded of old friends, but the Leicester Gap was closed in 1987. Photos of Sharnbrook, above, were taken in 2018.

twpsaesneg

For standard OLE structure types around 43m, however 50m bespoke designs have been installed recently where needed.
Here though I'd be surprised to see anything other than standard plain masts x4 unless there's a signal somewhere out of shot or poor ground on one side.
The GWEP 2 TTC concept was intended to enable a mast and boom to be installed with a pair of lines open. There appears sufficient 10' here to install masts for each pair of lines. Foundations are much shallower thus cheaper for a single mast and a UC section is a lot cheaper than a TTC due to the large amount of fabrication.

richieb1971

Established Member

None of my pictures show a semaphore. Whatever you are seeing its not a semaphore.

londonmidland

Established Member
Wow - my eyes are definitely deceiving me - I could swear in two of the photos I could see 3 semaphores - wow just wow. Love to know what they actually are then>

That’s not a semaphore. What you’re setting is a signal with a ‘feather’ on top of it. The fog makes it harder to see and somewhat makes it look like a semaphore if you look quickly.

deltic08

On Moderation
Wow - my eyes are definitely deceiving me - I could swear in two of the photos I could see 3 semaphores - wow just wow. Love to know what they actually are then>
Me too as I was positive it was a semiphore on a bracket post on the second line from the left.

deltic08

On Moderation
That’s not a semaphore. What you’re setting is a signal with a ‘feather’ on top of it. The fog makes it harder to see and somewhat makes it look like a semaphore if you look quickly.
Having got the magnifying glass on it, you are right. The back of the signal stack is grey and blends in with the weather. The back of the feather is black and stands out. Odd having it on a bracket post as tall as that when other signals on the route have only short posts.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Having got the magnifying glass on it, you are right. The back of the signal stack is grey and blends in with the weather. The back of the feather is black and stands out. Odd having it on a bracket post as tall as that when other signals on the route have only short posts.

Yes me too -I can see it now it is pointed out - just.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Rubbish day for pictures. ....

Really? It takes all sorts: I think the mist adds to the atmosphere. On the downside <emotion mode on> just as there is a beauty in seeing four tracks curve in perfect harmony into the distance, so there is a sort of sadness in seeing where there are four tracks no more - it feels like a human with limbs missing.

Incidentally <emotion mode firmly switched off> has nobody raised the spectre of further cutbacks to infrastructure plans? I mean, if you are only going to run two trains per hour each way with electric traction, it seems an awfully expensive job to reinstall four tracks north of Sharnbrook AND electrify all four to Glendon (or Kettering Sth Jcn, Im not sure.) Surely, someone will sooner or later say: hang on! Let's either not go for the total four track solution -or, if we do - let's wire only the slow lines north of Bedford and save a fair few million on the 22 miles of fast lines?
Short-term thinking, you might say? Of course, but hasn't that always the case - especially with the Midland?

70014IronDuke

Established Member

Ooops. Need to edit that! (Down, not up)

The feather will be to indicate a switch from down goods to the down fast.

Last edited:

richieb1971

Established Member
Surely, someone will sooner or later say: hang on! Let's either not go for the total four track solution -or, if we do - let's wire only the slow lines north of Bedford and save a fair few million on the 22 miles of fast lines?
Short-term thinking, you might say? Of course, but hasn't that always the case - especially with the Midland?

I thought of that too. The thing is, this project was a much bigger beast to begin with. The bigger beast is possibly something that will continue to be progressed at a later date meaning more done now will less needed to be done later.

I think OHLE to Bedford North Junction is a bare minimum to allow the electric trains to stop at P4 at Bedford. We don't know how many of the EMT Corby diagrams will use the fasts, currently all but one does. Currently there is a 09:00 (ish) southbound working which runs on the slow at a snails pace. It needs to do this to allow one of the Derby/Sheffield/Nottingham trains to over take it.

hooverboy

On Moderation
I thought of that too. The thing is, this project was a much bigger beast to begin with. The bigger beast is possibly something that will continue to be progressed at a later date meaning more done now will less needed to be done later.

I think OHLE to Bedford North Junction is a bare minimum to allow the electric trains to stop at P4 at Bedford. We don't know how many of the EMT Corby diagrams will use the fasts, currently all but one does. Currently there is a 09:00 (ish) southbound working which runs on the slow at a snails pace. It needs to do this to allow one of the Derby/Sheffield/Nottingham trains to over take it.

fact of the matter is if EW rail is going through bedford midland too,then they have to re-model the station.end of.it's not far off capacity as it is during the peak.will be even worse if they try to use it as a reversal point for two routes...ie back to brighton/ onward to cambridge/bletchley...frankly no chance of a peak EW rail service(assuming 6-8 car) using platform 1a so would in effect be redundant.
hence my original suggestion for EW rail going north out of bedford towards neots...you have a 1 minute dwell time to pick up/drop off instead of 5 minutes reversal,so doesn't clog up the platform.

needs 2 more full platforms basically where the ticket office is.could be done as the 1a would sort of join up with the siding at the northbound end to get onto the slows for wellingborough etc....would however need some rather artistic multi-story car park and front concourse changes....much better bus connections needed there too.