• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MML v EMT

MML v EMT - Who Would Win

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionRail

Yes yes i know EMT has now got the franchise etc etc before you all have go at me;), i was wondering out of interest how many people would prefer MML over EMT. Vote for one or the other!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bonemaster

East Midlands trains offers a much in potential although MML has already delivered, if EMT manages to maintain the levels of service that MML did and the benifits of having an integrated railway system throughout the east midlands. Direct services to London from Lincoln and Corby show innovation and a willingness to improve services for those outside of the core route.

Jury is out, we wont be able to tell for some years which was the best

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Pretty impossible to tell, especially given that EMT havn't even started running yet!

This whole integration of Intercity and local services into regional franchises doesn't seem to be the most succesful system though. FGE was generally regarded as a half decent TOC, WA(GN) and Anglia being a bit mediocre, whereas the combined 'one' doesn't exactly get much good press.

Likewise, FGW (as was) was widely regarded as one of the best Intercity operators, and people thought they were doing a half decent job with FGWL too. Looking at the new combined FGW franchise only seems to give pretty negative results though in comparrison.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
From everything that's already been said about the upcoming stuff regarding EMT, I'd rather we kept MML and NatEx. My vote in the poll reflects that.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here anywhere, but one thing I already despise about EMT is the plan to MTU the Valenta-fitted power cars on MML. Lovely...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
whats the sound difference? valenta's sound better dont they?

Just a bit...:lol:

Nothing like the scream of a Valenta-fitted HST power car. Deafening? Bah, wusses. I would sooner open my ears rather than attempt to block them off when next to one powering up.

MTUs, in comparison, have next to no sound to them. Some of them are noiser than others, but they aren't enjoyable.

FusionRail

love the sound of them starting up at kettering, and the echo of them in st pacras.. well the old st pancras before they plonked a metal 'thing' infront!

Gizmogle

Established Member
I voted Midland Mainline, cause they're just great!
Don't change what works!

But with EMT being owned by Stagecoach, I imagine the "fares > comfort" rule is going to apply and they're just gonna cram seats in wherever they'll fit.

FusionRail

I voted Midland Mainline, cause they're just great!
Don't change what works!

But with EMT being owned by Stagecoach, I imagine the "fares > comfort" rule is going to apply and they're just gonna cram seats in wherever they'll fit.

judging on the stagecoach bussess around here.. yeh! im working for the b*sterds in october!:(:(

Mintona

Established Member
I have voted for Midland Mainline, as I feel they are the best long distance operator, and in my opinion better than South West Trains. Though only time will tell whether East Midlans Trains will be better or not!

T

Tom

Thing about SWT is they're an excellent operator for reliability of services running - but their prices just keep on rising. Had they not put up prices last May on SWT I think this poll might have been very, very different.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Thing about SWT is they're an excellent operator for reliability of services running - but their prices just keep on rising. Had they not put up prices last May on SWT I think this poll might have been very, very different.

Possibly. I don't understand the fares side of stuff. But I think the fact that MML have comfy trains puts them ahead.
They're pretty much always on time, if not early too.

SWT are great for punctuality, but people don't like their trains.
(The live webchat was evidence of this)

T

Tom

That's only because of the new franchise though - had they not been paying such a high premium (AFAIK it was £0.3bn higher than the lesser bid) they would most likely still have the pigs (London - Weymouth only), 444s (London - Pompey), 450s (all outer suburban routes and London - Poole stoppers), 455s (inner suburban).

Guinness

Established Member
Ridiculous Poll. How on earth can anyone prefer MML other EMT and vice versa when EMT hasn't even started the franchise yet?!

Madness.

FusionRail

Possibly. I don't understand the fares side of stuff. But I think the fact that MML have comfy trains puts them ahead.

on time? lol what planet do you catch your MML services from?? the last 6 trains i have caught to leicester were late.. but running back to ketto they were ontime, or even like 30 seconds after the previous one had lft!

They also have the advantage of free tea and coffee, which i do go on about too much.. decent-ish MM's bar prices, awesome livery and a name that represents the line... shame they could keep up the london-manchester service.. i miss that:sad:

class 313

Established Member

Midland Mainline are VERY chingy when you are not doing a London journey. You cant really get any more seats in HSTs or Meridians unless you take out the bar or replace the seats in the HSTs.

MML trains are not "pretty much always on time" not all. A example of this is 1507 Notts - London is late today! This being one of many late trains from MML.

MML HSTs having the same seats as the other HST operaters (apart from GNER) are nice and comfy, the 222s are very comfy for a "new train" and this train follows the theory that the Standard class seats are better than First Class.

EMT have said they will run more HSTs on their services, These WILL be on the London St Pancras International - Corby and maybe the Lincoln services as well.

T

Tom

Loader - she said pretty much always. You gave one train that was running late. I'm sure I could find another train which was also late on any operator.

EMT have also said that they want to phase the HSTs out... :p

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Your sure about that? As some of the power cars are being refurbished and having VP185's put in them

T

Tom

They want em gone towards the end of the franchise..... (don't ask me the logic behind that one...).

class 313

Established Member
Your sure about that? As some of the power cars are being refurbished and having VP185's put in them

I've heard the same....

And Tom, I gave one example, If had camera with me at the time, I could give MANY more.

Guinness

Established Member
Where's this information come from then? I've read that the only thing they're doing with HSTs is bringing in an additional set.

richa2002

Established Member
From everything that's already been said about the upcoming stuff regarding EMT, I'd rather we kept MML and NatEx. My vote in the poll reflects that.

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here anywhere, but one thing I already despise about EMT is the plan to MTU the Valenta-fitted power cars on MML. Lovely...
Err, no they're not, if it's anything, they're re-engining with VP185s, if they were re-engining with MTUs they would be singing from the rooftops about it... Surprised they haven't mentioned it on their site though, maybe they're not re-engining them at all.

T

Tom

Someone reasonably high up who was involved in the EMT bid.

They are definately re-engining with VP185s initially though.

FusionRail

The fares on MML are fine for Ktown - Leicester.. £4.45 open return if that goes up somebody might get murdered:p i rely on it being that price!

Loader - she said pretty much always. You gave one train that was running late. I'm sure I could find another train which was also late on any operator.

Tom - Heres a friendly challenge, find one that is running from [stn]STP[/stn] - Derby Sheffield on time, they can be anything from 2-20 mins latemost of the time im there, which is annoying [or is just the fact im waiting for it?], or the odd occasion they are early then decide to leave early...

T

Tom

From today from St Pancras to Sheffield, following trains ran on time:
1F03, 1F06 ran 3 down during parts, 1F10, 1F14, 1F18 was 3 down at Leicester but caught up time, likewise with 1F22, 1F26 had a problem at Derby (arr SHF 6 down), likewise with 1F30 (line problem), 1F34 R/T all the way...

They still meet PPM as they are within 10 minutes of booked arrival time.

FusionRail

From today from St Pancras to Sheffield, following trains ran on time:
1F03, 1F06 ran 3 down during parts, 1F10, 1F14, 1F18 was 3 down at Leicester but caught up time, likewise with 1F22, 1F26 had a problem at Derby (arr SHF 6 down), likewise with 1F30 (line problem), 1F34 R/T all the way...

They still meet PPM as they are within 10 minutes of booked arrival time.

then maybe its just when im planning to catch one LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.