• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile internet users

Would you prefer to have a choice in which style you view when using mobile devices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
I'd like to see the forum in each operator's liveries. :D

That's a good idea.

You could have one of their trains as the background then - you could vote on which one you think carries the livery best.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. If you go to any link in any theme it will open in the theme you are viewing it in.

I must be typing in 'clear as mud' mode, sorry. I'll try again from the top.

One suggestion you made was that if the default for mobile users was changed to the basic theme, users could access the forum through a subdomain like m. railforums.co.uk to force the use of the mobi theme. The trouble I foresee is that if the m. subdomain has to be used to get the mobi theme, then a regular, user posted link to a thread, which will probably include the www. subdomain, would lead my browser to the main subdomain where the default theme is basic. Would this switching subdomains mean that I'm dropped back in the default basic theme when following this type of link, or would the fact that I've just been browsing on m. (with cookies etc.) mean that the server knows to keep feeding me with the mobi theme for the rest of the session?

(If this situation were to arise, I might avoid it by changing my preferred theme to mobi from within the basic theme sent to my phone, but that would give me the mobi theme on any desktop as well!)

I'm sorry to have confused you. I have a knack of finding the most obscure errors and possibilities sometimes. At other times I can be brewing a storm in a teacup. :/

ungreat

When I login from my blackberry it instantly logs me out once I click onto a forum,and it never used to,so something ain't working right!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ah okay. No, this wouldn't be a problem as once you have gone to m. then everything will display in Mobi until you change theme.

Aictos

Established Member
I never have a issue accessing this forum with my BB but I do on another forum, work that one out!

ukrob

Established Member
Does Tapatalk have push notifications yet for new replies?

MCR247

Established Member
It may do if you subscribe to threads which I don't

87 027

I think the mobile theme is great and the antics of Tonyaryan and the wheelchair ramp kept me highly amused on holiday last week! However memory on my phone (Nokia N95) gets a bit tight when viewing the full version of some forums so I agree with those who say that links from the mobile version should also open up in mobile.

davidwillson

Some mobile devices are not compatible with Tapatalk and also some may prefer not to pay so there will always be the demand for a Mobi theme.

At present, users of many mobile devices are forced to use the Mobi theme, but may prefer to have the ability to use other styles as their screens may be larger or they may have faster internet. Since the Mobi theme was first set up in the manner it presently is, mobile technology has improved and the number of people using it has also increased.

I don't use the mobile site much but for me personally the standard theme works well so whatever happens I'd like to still have that option.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I never have a issue accessing this forum with my BB but I do on another forum, work that one out!

vBulletin can have some cookie issues if you login via the forum without the www. bit - so check if you've entered the forum at http://www.railforums.co.uk or just http://railforums.co.uk. An admin should be able to make the second one work properly, but you'll probably find you can log in but the forum rejects the cookie so every refresh has you logged out again.

Is Tapatalk installed yet?! It's much nicer than the mobile theme, which I also use. It's okay for very small screens, but far too small for anyone that has a half-decent smartphone. Tapatalk works very well now on BlackBerry, iPhone and Android - and I'm sure there's one coming for other platforms including Windows Phone 7. The best thing is, you don't need to worry about what platforms support it - just insert a tiny plug-in and some Java code in the header or footer. Job done in minutes!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't like Tapatalk because I don't feel it's right to make users pay for the feature; that is the job of the forum. I've been working on a Touchscreen Style but I'll look at installing it in the short term if I can get rid of the popup!

MCR247

Established Member
But they don't have to? If you keep a mobi-theme, then people can use that can't they? But people who don't like it (like me and others) have the option to use tapatalk, which I have anyway for TMR :)

Pumbaa

Established Member
Tapatalk isn't the only one out there? TouchBB among others?

MCR247

Established Member
I used to use TouchBB but I found it terrible to Tapatalk, it always used to crash/not work on my iPhone! Doesn't TouchBB only work for phpBB forums?

Pumbaa

Established Member
No idea - I use Tapatalk anyway, I just remember installing TouchBB also at some point.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Tapatalk is not expensive, but there's a free version that is read only.

It costs nothing to install. It doesn't replace the mobile theme either, or any other themes/skins you may wish to add It's probably important to stress that, as nothing changes besides a pop-up window on a compatible device to say you can ALSO use Tapatalk. Cancel that and you won't be told again. Everyone can still access the forum the old fashioned way from their mobile.

Bear in mind that anyone with a smartphone may well buy the full app for many other forums that are now enabled. I'd even say that if you're not enabled, people may well switch to a forum that is.

Trust me, it's free and incredibly easy to install. When I heard about it from a forum member, I had it installed in 30 minutes - and that included the time needed to go to the website and get an understanding of what it was and how to install it.

I'm even considering adding support for the other apps, even though I'd argue they're not as good, as long as the code doesn't affect Tapatalk. It's all about giving choice. I have the mobile skin and had a pseudo-iPhone one which looked good, but wasn't anywhere near as good as something that IS an app, not trying to look like one.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tapatalk is installed (and I have disabled the popup) however for some reason they insist on a logo being uploaded to their server and this is something I cannot do.

It is not ideal software and we will not be sticking around with it for very long when they finally send me the activation Email, so I advise people do not buy it solely for use of this forum.

bradders1983

Tapatalk is installed (and I have disabled the popup) however for some reason they insist on a logo being uploaded to their server and this is something I cannot do.

It is not ideal software and we will not be sticking around with it for very long when they finally send me the activation Email, so I advise people do not buy it solely for use of this forum.

I have it for two others anyway.

Are you sure it's installed? Tried searching for Rail and Rail Uk, can't fingmd anything.

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Needs to be activated first, and a logo uploaded for it to be able to be categorised.

Status
Not open for further replies.