• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mobile Operations Manager (MOM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrummiePete

Hi,

Hope everyone is safe and well in these strange times.

Have searched the forum but couldn't see much on this role and was hoping for some advice.

I imagine a very very high percentage of MOM appointments are from the signalling grade but wondering if a signalling background is an absolute must, would someone with some railway operating experience and a basic knowledge of rules/regs be in with a chance?

I understand there is a comprehensive training course to complete so again wondering if this could be undertaken by someone with no signalling experience

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Prior signalling experience is not an absolute necessity. We had a guy leave last year who was a shunter and then standards manager who is now a mom.

LOM

No signalling experience is not a must. Many MOMs come from a P-Way, S&T or Off Track background. Not all MOMs are required to be signaller competent as different areas do things differently. Some are incident response only and never set foot in a signalbox.

Jay_123

Yeah ive had mixed reviews, one LOM even said to me on email he wont consider my application because i dont have a signalling background.

To be honest, i think most of them do go to signallers though although its not mandatory. Ive even heard of someone off the street becoming a MOM.

LOM

Yeah ive had mixed reviews, one LOM even said to me on email he wont consider my application because i dont have a signalling background.

If you have that in writing then put a grievance in. That is not fair and is against the various recruitment policies.

BrummiePete

Thanks for the replies

I suppose someone with a good signalling background would always be in with a good and arguably a better chance than someone without, but i suppose as they say no harm in giving it a go.

Reading the full job description i think a lot of the required attributes are not specifically signalling related but certainly the usual NTS required for all operational roles with NR

LOM

Reading the full job description i think a lot of the required attributes are not specifically signalling related but certainly the usual NTS required for all operational roles with NR
Yep that is very true but the interview questions are not the same as in the signaller interview and are not so tightly focussed on NTS.

Jay_123

If you have that in writing then put a grievance in. That is not fair and is against the various recruitment policies.
To be honest you aint the first person to say that but i didnt want to upset anyone and blowing all my chances of progressing if that makes sense. Small world the railway world isnt it mate

LOM

Yeah very true. Years ago I was passed over for a job because of the old family ties thing, probably should have put in a grievance but was worried about the hassle. Instead I just back and had the pleasure of watching the guy mess it up *big* time. His connections did not save him in the end.

BrummiePete

Yep that is very true but the interview questions are not the same as in the signaller interview and are not so tightly focussed on NTS.
Thanks LOM

Would any technical questions be asked at a MOM interview or is it expected that all required technical skills will be taught as part of the training?

LOM

Thanks LOM

Would any technical questions be asked at a MOM interview or is it expected that all required technical skills will be taught as part of the training?
There are technical questions at the end but they are set by the hiring manager so could be anything really.

BrummiePete

Just noticed a load of MOM jobs on the external list, all Eastern but unusual to see so many externally advertised at the same time. Maybe some sort of re-org ?

BrummiePete

Eastern locations are going 24 hr coverage, needs to make the roster compliant so there are new positions being created.
I would have thought 24 hour coverage was required anyway, suppose if some periods (eg nights) were only "on-call" and now changing to on duty cover that would require extra positions.

SmokeAndJoe

I would have thought 24 hour coverage was required anyway, suppose if some periods (eg nights) were only "on-call" and now changing to on duty cover that would require extra positions.
You would think that, but until now the railway has disagreed. The higher ups seem to have only just remembered we dont switch off the railway after 7PM.

LOM

Does anyone know if NR make you successfully complete the signaller online tests for a MOM job?

It depends if the post is required to hold signalling competency. Not all areas requires their MOMs to hold this. If not then no, otherwise yes and you will need to go to signalling school too.

CivilAv96

As I am sure many of you will have seen applied for a few roles on the railway this role seems really interesting. Not sure I will progress as no "Railway" Background but do have Risk/Incident and Crisis Management training and background.

Anyone know what area Hitchin covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.