• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modelling carnforth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haguey1231

Hi there I have only really started getting back into model railways after a few years out.

After a recent visit to a model zone shop have really started getting into it again, all I have got left from my previous attempt is a fastline 56 and some charter style coaches and a generator van (only not sold due to been hidden in a box ) so really have a blank canvas

I have always wished to model somewhere such as Carnforth in West Coast Railway days and was wondering if anyone had tried it before?

Due to space constraints I know what I'm going to build won't be a exact model as from aerial photos as Carnforth is in more of an "L" shape if I included the sidings and would take up a huge amount of space so a scaled down version will be more appropriate

Any ideas would be very helpful or past experiences...

Many thanks josh :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Welcome to the forum. Dont buy stuff from model zone is my advice. Most places if not every place is cheaper than purchasing from them, depending on your location search for local shops etc. If you are anywhere near Sheffield i can reconmend some.

I think its better to base something on somewhere rather than copy exactly. So an idea which involves some of carnforths features but uses the space you have more effectively is a good idea.
Also an interesting location as you have charter stock, Intercity, regional and local services.

one bit of advice as someone whos recently finished his layout is check and double check everything is right before you finish soldering track putting wiring in, because changing it takes a long time! and is rather soul destroying.

If we can be of any more help let us now.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Just to second what is mentioned above - trying to scale down a real track plan is incredibly difficult, you end up having to squeeze in crossings and sidings into much too small a space with the result that they can be all but useless for actual operations. Think about the main features you want to include and the space you have available. My best advice on the design front is to pick up one of the layout design books available - Peco for instance do several which include precise diagrams using their own codes so you essentially get a track shopping list - these are fantastic for letting you visualise just how much can practically look good in a particular space and I will often take one of these plans and fine tune to suit the project I want rather than trying to design from scratch.

This is also the best time to start thinking about whether you want to go DC or DCC. I would probably recommend the latter, particularly if you are buying all new locos. The cost of the locos is not much more and it makes wiring and operating the layouts so much easier.

themiller

Just to second what is mentioned above - trying to scale down a real track plan is incredibly difficult, you end up having to squeeze in crossings and sidings into much too small a space with the result that they can be all but useless for actual operations.

If you model in Z-gauge you can do models of actual locations. I'm currently doing a layout based on Ausserberg on the south ramp of the Loetchberg international line in Switzerland. It's a simple 2-track line with a loop in the station and 3 sidings at one end. I know it's a biggy but there are many locations which can be adapted.

Status
Not open for further replies.