• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Modern Railways Article on RCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Chaps and Chapesses.

I am writting this because i am enraged by an article shown to me in the Modern Railways magazine of May 2011.
It seems to lay the blame for RCF squarely on the shoulders of the Siemens Desiro.
I'm not fan of the unit by a long way, but that's because i'm sad and always oppose new things replacing older things that i had become a customed to.

The article suggests that the Desiro is reason for the increase in rail defects in the Wessex area.
What i take offence to is that all of the defect rails, barring the occassional and expected failure of new welds and similar, dates from the 60's and 70's. It's 40 years old and completely worn out. 0 sidewear sites aren't springing up from the increased wear of a Desiro, they are occurring because the rail is 40 years old.
As much as access allows, CAPEX works are targeting the sites that some might say are at risk, specifically high speed tight curves and areas around heavy braking/acceleration.
It was known long before the introduction of new stock that it would increase wear, but more in the Track Geometry areas than rail defects, because of the reaction of the track to air suspension.

Another thing that the author mentions but fails to satisfactorily address is the reduced surface contact area of the wheel profile. He jokingly refers to it as the size of a 5 pence piece, but realistically it's 25mm wide on a straight and level piece of track.

Finally i confess, i haven't yet read the full article, i threw it down in disgust at the comments made mid article to post my anger on here <D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Might I suggest writing to Modern Railways to counter that articles point of view if it enrages you so much? Could get published in the Forum section if they like your letter.

BestWestern

Established Member
Call me a bit of a simpleton - particularly as I have no idea what RCF or Capex are! :o - but presumably a Desiro weighs a lot more than a draughty old Slammer? So surely after 40 years of lightweight MK1's tip-toeing over, these old rails will inevitably suffer substantially increased wear, and subsequently more defects, when big heavy Desiro units have been pounding them for a few years?? Or am I talking trollocks?! I must admit I had no idea rails had such a long lifespan to be honest, I 'd have guessed at half that!

P.S. Don't worry, you're not the only sad sentimentalist person who dislikes new fangled stuff, hehe ;)

Hydro

Established Member
What i take offence to is that all of the defect rails, barring the occassional and expected failure of new welds and similar, dates from the 60's and 70's. It's 40 years old and completely worn out. 0 sidewear sites aren't springing up from the increased wear of a Desiro, they are occurring because the rail is 40 years old.

Any word on the performance of the head hardened CWR installed over the last couple of years?

asylumxl

Established Member
I would also suggest writing a letter to them. The irony is a 450 is only 10t heavier than a 4-CEP!

Axle loads are what are important though, for which I can't find information.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd have thought the weight is more distributed on a 450 than on a 4CEP, as the trailer cars on the CEP will have been a lot lighter than the trailer cars on a 450 (both have two driving Motors)- thee air con and other services add weight

asylumxl

Established Member
I'd have thought the weight is more distributed on a 450 than on a 4CEP, as the trailer cars on the CEP will have been a lot lighter than the trailer cars on a 450 (both have two driving Motors)- thee air con and other services add weight

Without the real measured figures, we can't really say. But I don't imagine it being massively higher than a 4-CEP. People prefer to remain ignorant to the facts, hence this belief that Desiros are massively heavy panzer tanks...

chuffchuff

Going back a long way, CEP bogies were altered to give more
sideplay to cut down on the damage they were causing when
they came out.
Modern units have none, over a dodgy bit a CEP would give a
bit of a wiggle, modern ones your cup would be over the other
side of the coach with a loud bang

asylumxl

Established Member
Going back a long way, CEP bogies were altered to give more
sideplay to cut down on the damage they were causing when
they came out.
Modern units have none, over a dodgy bit a CEP would give a
bit of a wiggle, modern ones your cup would be over the other
side of the coach with a loud bang

I'm doubtful it would make a massive amount of difference if I'm honest.

Wyvern

Established Member
Call me a bit of a simpleton - particularly as I have no idea what RCF or Capex are!

RCF: Rolling Contact Fatigue

Capex: Capital expenditure - expenditure that improved the quality of fixed assets.

I cant remember the other kinds, except Opex which is operating expenditure. They each have their own budgets allocated to them.

Chaps and Chapesses.

I am writting this because i am enraged by an article shown to me in the Modern Railways magazine of May 2011.
It seems to lay the blame for RCF squarely on the shoulders of the Siemens Desiro.
I'm not fan of the unit by a long way, but that's because i'm sad and always oppose new things replacing older things that i had become a customed to.

The article suggests that the Desiro is reason for the increase in rail defects in the Wessex area.
As much as access allows, CAPEX works are targeting the sites that some might say are at risk, specifically high speed tight curves and areas around heavy braking/acceleration.
It was known long before the introduction of new stock that it would increase wear, but more in the Track Geometry areas than rail defects, because of the reaction of the track to air suspension.

Another thing that the author mentions but fails to satisfactorily address is the reduced surface contact area of the wheel profile. He jokingly refers to it as the size of a 5 pence piece, but realistically it's 25mm wide on a straight and level piece of track.

Finally i confess, i haven't yet read the full article, i threw it down in disgust at the comments made mid article to post my anger on here <D

Then I would respectfully suggest that you do. "Modern Railways" is not a magazine for trainspotters written by trainspotters. It is an industry respected journal containing articles written by well-informed professionals.

Ploughman

Established Member
Call me a bit of a simpleton - particularly as I have no idea what RCF or Capex are! :o - but presumably a Desiro weighs a lot more than a draughty old Slammer? So surely after 40 years of lightweight MK1's tip-toeing over, these old rails will inevitably suffer substantially increased wear, and subsequently more defects, when big heavy Desiro units have been pounding them for a few years?? Or am I talking trollocks?! I must admit I had no idea rails had such a long lifespan to be honest, I 'd have guessed at half that!

P.S. Don't worry, you're not the only sad sentimentalist person who dislikes new fangled stuff, hehe ;)
You will still find a lot of rail that dates back to the 1930s and 40s. Mainly on the rural railway routes such as York - Scarborough and Hull - Seamer. Although a lot of work has been done to renew some stretches a lot remains to be done.
In some places 1950s rail and sleepers has been renewed leaving 1940s material either side. (1957 BR 1 spikes removed leaving Bullhead in the ground.)

dalmahoyhill

RCF: Rolling Contact Fatigue

Capex: Capital expenditure - expenditure that improved the quality of fixed assets.

I cant remember the other kinds, except Opex which is operating expenditure. They each have their own budgets allocated to them.

sort of correct. capex is normally expenditure for one off works to maintain the asset in a working condition. improving the quality is normally enhancement which comes from a separate pot (correct me if this is wrong under NR).
Opex is really day to day running costs. its short for operational expenditure.

Status
Not open for further replies.