• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Money money money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick W

Established Member
Bearing in mind cars can seat 5 adults, railway travel shouold at least be a third of car travel shouldn't it?

Luckily it probably is if you go to lengths to save money within the ticketing system.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beaker

Established Member
Get a push-bike , healthy,doesnt destroy enviroment and cheap!

Also if there is a scrap metal merchant near by keep all your old aluminium cans as they are worth 1p each (not much , but every penny counts)

Also there is a good book out.

"Make Money , By Robin Banks"

H

HR2

In my day yer own transport was a bike. Best drink was poor man's wine and best meal was rabbit pie

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good points there bud. I figure if I'm ever to get on with anything, I've got to start work sooner rather than later. So I'm going to see what I can find on t'internet for my area (money too tight to bus it to/from Hereford at the moment), then when I next go to town I'll have a SERIOUS look, find some places to get an application from, fill them in and get cracking on earning some money now. Can't go bashing now without it. Means I'll end up missing the summer's meets a la 2004's summer period (missing Railfest 2004, man that wasn't cool), but I'll have to live with that. It's getting to the point where locos are just not running really anywhere now, it's all units. Tours get canned completely or postponed for all eternity, so I won't miss too much out. With the weather like it is here this morning at 1053, I won't miss any sun now probably either!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've heard of the New Deal, don't particularly know what it is about though. Cheers for the link, I'll have a gander.

PeterH

well i work long hours in a hospital can bring home between £300 and £350 a week have to shell out £75 for housekeeping leaves me allmost £250 a week dont need a car cos hospital is 15 mins walk from me so i spend some on computer stuff and cameras the rest i save

evil_hippo

This is why I can't own a car now, although I'm old enough to get a licence. I would love to have one to deliver me to Penrith or Darlington for access to the wcml/ecml. Or to take me home from Carlisle at 3AM when the highland sleeper arrives from Scotland and stops unofficially.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
evil_hippo said:
This is why I can't own a car now, although I'm old enough to get a licence. I would love to have one to deliver me to Penrith or Darlington for access to the wcml/ecml. Or to take me home from Carlisle at 3AM when the highland sleeper arrives from Scotland and stops unofficially.
The amount you save by not having a car would pay for taxi journeys to cover such eventualities!:thumbup:
Nick W said:
Bloody cheap when you think that I was at school it cost £7.50 a day for 32 miles there and 32 miles back. And that's for less than 35mph travel...
Sorry, but you chose the most unbelievably ridiculous commute I've ever heard of! You could have easily avoided any sort of commute, it was your choice so how can you possibly complain?!

The price you are quoting is the full-priced adult fare for a standard day return, but why would anyone commuting get such a ticket?

A commuter would get a season ticket, Felixstowe-Colchester for 5 weeks (putting Mon 17 July to Fri 18 Aug, inclusive as an example) is £114.80, assuming you only use it on weekdays (5*5=25) that's £114.80/25 = £4.592 per day. But I know you'd use it on weekends too, so it's actually less.

Your journey is a very slow one due to geographical reasons, and the fact you live on the end of a branch line. But the time spent on the train can be spent doing things (reading, revising! eating, etc) that cannot be done in a car. The car time is dead time, the train time is useable in a practical way.

So your comparison is totally ludicrous.

(Oh and the actual cost to you was half £4.59 - so about £2.25 until 16, so that totally destroys your argument! )

jdjonnay

Just to update... I found why my car was costing a fair bit to run..

The er.. cat wasn't exactly fully functioning :confused:

£87 for a new CAT for MOT's, and £100 for a mild steel straight through system isn't too bad... the straight through sounds the mutt's nuts too 8)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.