• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More change for Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentGrade

Unquestionably. However it has been several years now, and the experience has been built back up again, and most of it lives near MK. Granted it’s not so easy to provide the specific local experience, but it is now easier to do that remotely than it once was. Were capacity planning to be broken up to the regions, I suggest that we would simply have a re-run of the expertise loss etc that we had on centralisation.

I know many people who would still disagree, however I do see the point about breaking MK up simply causing a re-run of previous issues

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Highlandspring

Established Member
Because the terms in the lease allow them to do so, just like they is done for thousands of lorries, vans, buses and cars that are leased. And one of the reasons vinyl wrapping has become so popular on commercial vehicles.
(An example is all the Network Rail vehicles; these are leased but are sign written)
The Network Rail road fleet has gone from being leased to owned outright (for the last 10 years or so) and is just in the process of going back to being leased again.

lincolnshire

It hadn't occurred to me that lorries, vans and buses were leased, I thought haulage/delivery companies and bus companies owned their fleet of vehicles. Thanks for filling a gap in my knowledge.

You will find that most of the airlines only lease there planes as well.

Most large companies lease photocopiers, computers etc. even P & O cruises on board ship vacuum cleaners etc are all on lease contract.

If you lease something then say every quarter pay for the equipment hire or car, bus , lorry, train & aeroplane then charge will have VAT added so that every quarter you can claim back the VAT.
Buy the item only one lot of VAT and claim something back against.

Established Member

A slight look of astonishment!

In the current climate breaking up train planning to a more regional base would provide the perfect excuse for everything that could go wrong in the next 10+ years, so that won’t happen yet, if at all. The only question is whether the catchment area of Milton Keynes can sustain 500 or so enthusiastic and dedicated train planners. They’ve got some, but not everyone wants to timetable trains.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
It will stay in MK, there were pushes to split it back out again but I doubt anyone wanted a re-run of 2010 and the subsequent years.

Lets not break it up an repeat the mistakes of 2010 in undoing what is now there. Certainly do not want a re-run of 2010 and sadly in my experience it still hasn't recovered. There are some bright people there willing to learn, but if planning was easy anyone could do it, but it isn't.

It’s certainly better than it was!

Thats as may be but from a low base not a difficult challenge I am afraid and still a long way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.