• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More positive Delay Repay story

Status
Not open for further replies.

moliones

This is not really a dispute, but I thought it might be useful to have a more positive perspective in this forum for a change.

Back when the "Beast from the East" hit, I was travelling from Hull to Manchester Airport, travelling on an Off-peak Return Hull to Manchester Stations, and an Anytime Short Return Manchester Stations to Manchester Airport, with Two-together railcard discount.
I arrived at Manchester airport 57 minutes later than planned.

Of course, I submitted a Delay Repay claim to TransPennine Express, expecting 25% of the total ticket price back as compensation. However, I have happily received a cheque for the full ticket price (100% of the return cost). I am not sure on what basis they calculated this. Given several recent posts about TOCs not compensating for split tickets, I felt this was worth mentioning.

(As it happens, the train I caught from Hull left Hull 55 minutes late, and got cancelled in Leeds. Had I caught the train I was planning to catch, which left a few minutes later, I would have arrived at my final destination at the same time. My 57 minutes late is based on the planned arrival of my intended trains, not based on time I should have arrived if I had planned to take the train I actually caught from Hull).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I assume that the number of requests for compensation is so high that it is easier and likely as cost effective to accept them and pay out in full to clear the back log. VTEC have been doing similar by all accounts.

antharro

SWR did the same for me on a very heavily delayed journey - I received a refund for both the outbound journey, which was not delayed, and the delayed return. 100% of the ticket price refunded!

Wanderwaal

Once I have received RTV vouchers for 100 pounds instead of 35 for Virgin Train West Coast off peak return ticket journey. It was straightforward case, just signaling delay with overall 1 hour late train. I made no fuss, no chase, they simply sent more then expected with a very polite apologising letter.

paddington

I used a GWR 3-day rover for some bashing, a 5 minute delay caused me to miss an hourly train by 10 mins. Instead of just paying out the cost of the single fare (about 20% of the rover cost), they refunded the entire rover and a further £10.

najaB

Veteran Member
I used a GWR 3-day rover for some bashing, a 5 minute delay caused me to miss an hourly train by 10 mins.
Does that mean that if the train was on time you would've missed the hourly train by 5 minutes?

robbeech

Established Member
Does that mean that if the train was on time you would've missed the hourly train by 5 minutes?
I know some stations have a minimum connection time comically shorter than they should (Slough for example to use a GWR example) but that’s really pushing it.

Nick66

VTEC had a backlog, they are usually very fast but I hadn’t heard after a month so I followed up, got a generic reply the same day and the money 2 days later. I travel weekly and have had about 10 claims in just over a year, never any issues but sometimes need to jog their memory. Once even got a follow up phone call to check I’d received the money.

DMU180

I once wrote to Virgin West Coast regarding their poor catering in First class on a bank holiday. Not asking for anything, just expressing my displeasure and I received a letter apologising that they couldn't address my issue directly due to a backlog but rest assured it had been logged along with a £50 RTV enclosed. Result!

Status
Not open for further replies.