• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More Stupidity Taking Photos - This time at a Footpath Crossing at Tidemills, East Sussex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
I really don't think that stopping to take or pose for a photo when walking along a public right of way constitutes tresspass.
According to the Railway Regulation Act, Trespass can be prosecuted where the person is refusing to leave (tenuous in this instance, there's no evidence a challenge to leave was ever given) or where someone is making a nuisance of themselves on Railway premises. I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure if potential for disruption or misusing an authorised crossing counts as a nuisance, but if it doesn't then I'd certainly like the law changed to make it so.

Perhaps it would help if the press releases describing people hit by trains were really lurid about the injuries, and vague about when they'd have lost consciousness. I suspect people choose suicide by train partly because it sounds like a quick and certain death, so convincing them to try something else at least helps the railway. OTOH, it would hurt grieving relatives, who can currently take comfort in the idea that it is an instant death and the deceased never had time to feel a thing.
I can't imagine that's going to help anybody - for one, there's no way of confirming how much pain those who do sadly pass are in and for how long. Many who do get struck by a train are killed instantly. If a person is in a position where they are contemplating suicide the chances are that they're already in a vast amount of pain, mental or physical. Being made aware of more pain is unlikely to alter their decisions. As you say, those left behind would be even more hurt than they already are trying to come to terms with why their loved one has died.
Suicide on the railway is best addressed by focusing on helping suicidal people's mental health. Not by handing out free tickets to Eastbourne for Beachy Head. This is something the railway is actively involved in with the Samaritans, but it is an issue that needs much wider support.

Further, the tactic of being very visual about the consequences is in use for many TV spots and hasn't stopped the vast majority of misuse, which is people simply ignoring or not comprehending the dangers. To address this, probably the first stage is to review legislation to make sure it's fit for purpose, and clear that stopping on a crossing is absolutely illegal. Penalties also potentially need increasing - perhaps making parties liable for all costs incurred by NR and the TOC (these can run into 6 or 7 figures). I'd also make misuse in a vehicle 10 points on the license.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Regarding the OP's article, I cant see any CCTV, are cameras usually hidden?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If that were true, and it was just a permissive path, then don't you think that Network Rail would have closed it years ago?

(EDIT: And see para 1.1 here: https://www.southdowns.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Agenda-Item-9-Tide-Mills.pdf )
Because if the wording in the Enabling Acts of the railway says that they will provide a crossing then that Act has to be altered to close it, and that requires time in Parliament to do it, which is both expensive and slow. It really isn't as easy as some people think!

zwk500

Veteran Member
Regarding the OP's article, I cant see any CCTV, are cameras usually hidden?
Either NR have discovered an invisibility cloak, or that's an old photo. (Photo says it's from 2011).

EDIT: It's clearly an old picture, the footpath and roadway gates are very different. I can't get a clear image of the CCTV, but if you look at the angle of the picture it's mounted on the former Up platform (furthest from the GSV car) about 10' above the path. As you can see from GSV, there isn't anywhere to hide it.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I meant my post in the context of where individuals involved in such incidents, as posted here, are identified and dealt with by the police. Those persons ought to be shown the images to shock them into realising the consequences of their actions. I didn't mean that graphic pictures are widely publicised, as though glorifying such stupid actions as was seen in the subject of this thread.
Would it actually work? Perhaps the mindset of these people is that "it won't happen to me." To be honest, you could show me pictures of bicycle vs HGV collisions but I'd still ride my bike. In fact, when I was 10 I saw the shattered remains of my gran's bike in her house a few days after she had a head on crash with a suspected drunk driver in a mini. I can still picture it now. Doesn't put me off.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Would it actually work? Perhaps the mindset of these people is that "it won't happen to me."
I think this is precisely the issue. Rather than appealing to their inner nature, perhaps the way to change that mindset is to substitute the theoretical penalty for an actual, financial, one. Change 'it won't happen to me' to 'it cost me £1,000 last time, it's not worth it again'. It's rather like mobile phone use while driving (or a speeding ticket). Problem is for pedestrians it's almost impossible to identify with enough confidence for a prosecution, unless they happen to be stupid enough to post the photo on facebook later. At least car owners can be done for failing to ID the driver when the license plate is visible.

LAX54

Established Member
What precisely would they get prosecuted for? It's a public crossing, so I don't think they are committing trespass.
Really ! of course they are tresspassing, they are 'allowed' to cross, and quickly, not stop and have a lay down and take stupid photos !

philthetube

Established Member
As I have pointed out it is quite possible that the RoW ends at one boundary and restarts at the opposite boundary, making the short piece actually crossing the tracks a Permissive Path, so that trespass is perfectly possible. You need to go back to the Enabling Act of that railway to get the most accurate answer.
(See other thread quoted here)

Because if the wording in the Enabling Acts of the railway says that they will provide a crossing then that Act has to be altered to close it, and that requires time in Parliament to do it, which is both expensive and slow. It really isn't as easy as some people think!
This makes it a right of way under another name?

Deepgreen

Established Member
While I share the concern over how stupid people can be I'm not really convinced that there is any major risk in this instance.
I agree - the risk has to be assessed and the response proportional. Of course society could adopt the stance that every single crossing risk must be eliminated at any cost, giving us bridges everywhere - rail, road and so on. It can't, and shouldn't spend gargantuan sums trying. The people involved here are morons, but have any 'stunts' like this actually resulted in deaths? The elimination of risk has given us farcical structures like the Gomshall footbridge on the North Downs line - a totally disproportionate response to no deaths (that I am aware of). Society cannot afford to cover every possible risk and people have to take personal responsibility for their behaviour. Road pedestrian crossings have vastly more deaths but we do not replace all of them with bridges.

Before people ask if I have had to deal directly with a railway death - no, I haven't (although I have been peripherally involved in a few instances) - relatively very few have - but that doesn't make me unqualified to offer the risk-based viewpoint. CCTV/other direct evidence must be used to prosecute and push home the message.

I'm increasingly convinced there's a business opportunity here for some heritage railways - build a siding with a level crossing on and charge people who want to pose / park a car or whatever else on it whilst they take their selfie....
NO!! Really - if the taking of 'peril' shots is catered for/encouraged, people simply WILL NOT travel specifically to their nearest heritage line and pay for the opportunity!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
If the railway crosses a public right of way, then that right of way can be exercised. The alternative is to close the right of way (i.e. the crossing) and provide an alternative right of way (i.e. a bridge).

Now of course, this assumes people are going to be sensible and treat the railway crossing with respect. We've had these crossings for hundreds of years, with appropriate signage (most of the time) but sadly, society has changed and people just don't think, or care about their own actions these days, and the consequences of their actions. I'm sure this sort of thing didn't happen before the invention of mobile phones/social media etc.

As a well-used crossing, I think NR are right to consider alternative means in order to retain the right of way, but it has to be sympathetic to the local area/landscape

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Do you understand the difference between a Public Right of Way, and a Permissive Path?
Note the use of capital letters, without them it is a meaningless term.

I've studied Rights of Way legislation for some time and have been involved in tracing the history of many unofficially closed ones with a large organisation for some time. Often we have had to go back to the Enabling Acts of canals and railways to show that that some couldn't be closed and that changes to Acts were needed if this was continued with. We also found that in many instances short termination at their boundaries was correct and that no Rights were allowed in those Acts. That study has resulted in Definitive Maps having to be changed in some instances.

As I said earlier, people seem to think that this is a simple subject; I can assure you it isn't. That is why the OS add a note to all their maps basically saying that what they show might not be accurate in respect of ANY RoW.

And if you want a puzzle, there is (atleast one) A road in England that is not a Public Right of Way, but a Permissive Path; can you find it?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The elimination of risk has given us farcical structures like the Gomshall footbridge on the North Downs line - a totally disproportionate response to no deaths (that I am aware of).
It may even result in simply exporting (and possibly multiplying) the risk, as with the closure of the Mexico Inn crossing near Penzance - the alternative walking route to the beach is a half mile detour along a 60mph A-road, with a blind bend where it crosses the railway. ,

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm sure this sort of thing didn't happen before the invention of mobile phones/social media etc.
I disagree, there's plenty of evidence that crossings were misused from pre-nationalisation days.
. The difference being that there was a fully-manned box adjacent to many more crossings, so anybody hanging about would be swiftly warned. Of course nobody stopped to take pictures of the perspective or anything, but likewise nowadays we don't have to worry about a loose cow running round the goods yard!

The difference is, to me, not that people have become less concerned about the consequences. It's that the rail companies have been given an ever greater duty of care, and that the financial impact of crossing misuse (additional staff hours, materials for repairs, disruption payments to TOCs and lost business if trains fail to maintain time) has risen far and above the perceived cost to misusers. The fear of being sued has led to an abundance of caution and preference for preventative protection. If the law was changed such that a sign saying 'No loitering between railway boundaries' was enough to cover the railway's legal defence, and fines were more effectively handed out to those who did misuse, we might see fewer bridges.
As a well-used crossing, I think NR are right to consider alternative means in order to retain the right of way, but it has to be sympathetic to the local area/landscape
Agreed. The question is how sympathetic can you get with a 6m high bridge in a landscape that's almost virtually flat? Is NR's design the best possible effort whilst still allowing the railway to continue to operate the service required of it? Personally, I think transparent Parapets and use of more lattice supports than embankments would be better, but it's inevitable the view will be impacted. An underpass is impractical due to the flooding risk.

zwk500

Veteran Member
And this sort of thing doesn't help, when courts hold Railtrack responsible for the consequences of trespass. (Would the Highways Authority be held responsible for injury to a pedestrian illegally crossing a motorway?)

Network Rail fined £135,000 over fence which led to serious burns for boy, 13 - BBC News
Nobody's held Railtrack responsible for anything since 2004. Network Rail is a totally different company, structured in a completely different way and governed under a different framework.

This incident is a different set of circumstances. If the fence had been in good repair, it's a reasonable conclusion that the entire incident wouldn't have happened. As Nottingham59 has said, the railway is obligated to make sure the fencing is in good order. It failed, and therefore must face a penalty.

peteb

Whilst lying down on a railway track is crass stupidity wherever in the world it occurs, it does raise the question as to whether fencing railways is essential in rural locations: large parts of France seem to manage with no rural fencing at all even on mainlines. I'm not aware of a significantly higher number of accidents on SNCF involving pedestrians. Sadly those intent on taking their own lives will do so wherever the opportunity arises, regardless of society's attempts to physically prevent this.

philthetube

Established Member
Nobody's held Railtrack responsible for anything since 2004. Network Rail is a totally different company, structured in a completely different way and governed under a different framework.

This incident is a different set of circumstances. If the fence had been in good repair, it's a reasonable conclusion that the entire incident wouldn't have happened. As Nottingham59 has said, the railway is obligated to make sure the fencing is in good order. It failed, and therefore must face a penalty.

If people who damage fencing get caught, it would help if they got a similar penalty to that which Network rail suffered.

Re 4/4

No. From my walking leader training years ago: a right of way gives you the right to 'pass and repass', which includes stopping to read a map, take a photo, have a rest, or even a picnic.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Whilst lying down on a railway track is crass stupidity wherever in the world it occurs, it does raise the question as to whether fencing railways is essential in rural locations: large parts of France seem to manage with no rural fencing at all even on mainlines. I'm not aware of a significantly higher number of accidents on SNCF involving pedestrians. Sadly those intent on taking their own lives will do so wherever the opportunity arises, regardless of society's attempts to physically prevent this.
It's a question that should be discussed. However, it doesn't change the fact that currently the obligation exists.
If people who damage fencing get caught, it would help if they got a similar penalty to that which Network rail suffered.
Completely agree, but there's no suggestion in the incident for which NR got fined that the fencing was deliberately damaged by the individual who got harmed. Where it can be proven, criminal damage and destruction of railway property are prosecuted.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Nobody's held Railtrack responsible for anything since 2004. Network Rail is a totally different company,
My error. I was looking at several similar cases, most of them before 2004. Yes the fence should have been maintained, but that does not excuse the trespass - two wrongs don't make a right.

zwk500

Veteran Member
My error. I was looking at several similar cases, most of them before 2004. Yes the fence should have been maintained, but that does not excuse the trespass - two wrongs don't make a right.
No worries, I've known people who've worked for 'the railway' under so many different guises they've lost track themselves!

Agree it doesn't excuse the trespass, but NR weren't fined for the boy being on the track, they were fined for failing to maintain the boundary. It's a similar situation to the boys in Tyne Yard, where there was no fence, gate or warning sign between the public bridleway and the yard: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-47556226 or the boy who very sadly died in Birmingham https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-51051067
In all of these cases, the boundary was not adequately maintained, and 13-year old boys were more curious or adventurous than determined. They shouldn't have been there, but a properly maintained fence would have stopped them.

In the incident at Tidemills, the women are old enough to know the dangers, and the crossing itself is a permitted access to the railway. The cost to Network Rail if they had ended up delaying a train would have run into the tens of thousands. The delays could have caused knock-on effects to London-Eastbourne trains and then the cost of the delays could reach into the hundreds of thousands. If they had been struck then the cost of stopping the job and cleaning up could easily top £1m. It's no surprise then that NR consider building a bridge, even if it could cost £5m, given how many incidents happen here.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
In the incident at Tidemills, the women are old enough to know the dangers, and the crossing itself is a permitted access to the railway. The cost to Network Rail if they had ended up delaying a train would have run into the tens of thousands. The delays could have caused knock-on effects to London-Eastbourne trains and then the cost of the delays could reach into the hundreds of thousands. If they had been struck then the cost of stopping the job and cleaning up could easily top £1m. It's no surprise then that NR consider building a bridge, even if it could cost £5m, given how many incidents happen here.

Just to be clear <pedant>: the crossing is not a permitted access to the railway. It is a right of way across the railway. Also, the Seaford route is a branch line; local trains run between Seaford and Brighton.

Anyway, I think this has been done to death now...

zwk500

Veteran Member
Just to be clear <pedant>: the crossing is not a permitted access to the railway. It is a right of way across the railway. Also, the Seaford route is a branch line; local trains run between Seaford and Brighton.

Anyway, I think this has been done to death now...
Pedantic point noted. The Seaford route is a branch line, and yes the trains mostly go to Brighton (the odd on-peak train runs to London), but precisely because it's a branch and not isolated from the rest of the network delay can be transferred to the junctions, and from there across the wider network.

island

Veteran Member
No. From my walking leader training years ago: a right of way gives you the right to 'pass and repass', which includes stopping to read a map, take a photo, have a rest, or even a picnic.
I’m not sure that’s correct. “Pass and repass” rights allow you to travel through an area and maybe stop briefly for the purpose of loading or unloading, if that’s appropriate, but not to “stop and linger” on the right of way.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I’m not sure that’s correct. “Pass and repass” rights allow you to travel through an area and maybe stop briefly for the purpose of loading or unloading, if that’s appropriate, but not to “stop and linger” on the right of way.
Agreed, a quick google throws up the following:
the grant of a right of way is also the grant of such ancillary rights that are reasonably necessary to allow the right to be exercised or enjoyed. (https://www.hughes-paddison.co.uk/s...ation-blog/rights-of-way-and-perpetual-motion)
Reading a map and taking a rest are, to me, definitely reasonable to enable the right of way to be enjoyed and even taking a photo may well count. (I think a picnic is pushing your luck for legal rights, stopping for a flask of tea and pork pie maybe). However, I (a non-lawyer) would argue that it is not reasonable to exercise those rights in a clearly unsafe place or in a clearly unsafe manner. Especially when a safe place is available either immediately prior or immediately afterwards.

Steve Harris

Really ! of course they are tresspassing, they are 'allowed' to cross, and quickly, not stop and have a lay down and take stupid photos !
It is funny you mention that, as I have just come across

At 2.05 in someone needs to "have a word" as even the copper stops and lingers. And that's in a promotional/safety video!!

Status
Not open for further replies.