• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

More than one change from Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it was noted in the "More than one change from London?" thread that network seems to be very London-centric.

Could the same argument be made though for Birmingham? I have a hunch that the tendrils of the XC network are so widespeared that the main area that might be more than one change away is Kent- from where an Underground transfer is required to get Euston for Virgin or London Midland or Marylebone for Chiltern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
The Far North and Kyle lines need a change at Edinburgh/Aberdeen, then Inverness.

The WHL only needs a cross-Glasgow transfer once a week, because technically Sunday-Friday you can change at Edinburgh onto the seated portion of the sleeper.

Norman

Addlestone changing at Reading and Virginia Water.
Chessington South Branch changing at Euston and Waterloo or Watford Junction and Clapham Junction.

dvboy

Established Member
Anywhere past Norwich.

Brighton requires 2 changes too.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Like the more than one change to London:

Stations on the Manchester Vic-Huddersfield line, Helsby-Ellesmere Port line, Eccles and stations of the Liverpool Central to Ormskirk line.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Brighton requires 2 changes too.

You can do it in one, travelling via Southampton Central, although that takes quite a bit longer than via London.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
is there no connection into an XC at liskeard?

I think there might be. 11:09 Liskeard to Manchester Piccadilly?

Last edited:

dvboy

Established Member
You can do it in one, travelling via Southampton Central, although that takes quite a bit longer than via London.

My other suggestion was going to be Gatwick Airport but you could change at Reading I think.

Norman

My other suggestion was going to be Gatwick Airport but you could change at Reading I think.

There are no direct trains from Gatwick Airport to Birmingham or from Brighton to Reading and haven't been for a number of years.

Ivo

Established Member
Most stations in Essex, apart from those on the West Anglia route, require more than one change. Some, such as those served by Walton stoppers from Colchester, require three changes outside of peak periods.

Yeovil Junction

Change at Exeter St David's or Basingstoke ;)

dvboy

Established Member
There are no direct trains from Gatwick Airport to Birmingham or from Brighton to Reading and haven't been for a number of years.

My point was if you could go to Gatwick Airport via one change at Reading, but it's not the quickest option, likewise Brighton via Southampton.

bnm

Established Member
Change at Exeter St David's or Basingstoke ;)

Try getting a booking engine to sell you a ticket from Birmingham Stations to Yeovil Junction via Exeter St Davids though. Not easy when the only walk-up fares are routed either 'Salisbury not London' or '+London'.

Routeing Guide would allow the journey if there was an Any Permitted fare....

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Try getting a booking engine to sell you a ticket from Birmingham Stations to Yeovil Junction via Exeter St Davids though. Not easy when the only walk-up fares are routed either 'Salisbury not London' or '+London'.

Routeing Guide would allow the journey if there was an Any Permitted fare....

I don't think the intention of the OP was to limit the routes, after all you might have a Britrail pass or an ALR! :D

There's loads! Baildon, Hull to Bridlington line, Mytholmroyd, Caldervale line Todmorden to Smithy Bridge (Change at Preston before Hebden Bridge and Wigan after Rochdale), Whitby line, The wherry lines, Sutton, Blanaue festiniog, Clitheroe line, Peckham Rye, Newark to Grimsby, Barton on Humber branch, Grantham, Greenford line, Denton, Reddish South, Warrington to Manchester Oxford Rd, Ashton-under lyne, Sheerness, Petersfield, Ore, Castle Cary, Seaford, Welwyn Garden City and Yarm to name a few. :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Caldervale line - change at Leeds
Grantham - change at Nottingham
Yarm - change at Man Picc, Leeds or York
Ashton-u-L - change at Liverpool Lime St

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Don't some Bridlington terminators run ex-Sheffield too?
Blaneau - change at Llandudno Jn
Locals Warrington Ctl-Man Oxford Rd - change at Liverpool Lime St
Petersfield - change at Guildford (1tpd direct ex-BHM)

If cross-London only counts as one change then most of the others can be done too - even Seaford has peak trains to London Vic.

bnm

Established Member
I don't think the intention of the OP was to limit the routes, after all you might have a Britrail pass or an ALR! :D

Good, and well made point, Greenback. Forgive me for not considering 'go anywhere' tickets. Was looking at the more workaday options. :roll:;):)

Does seem a bit silly that there isn't an Any Permitted fare though.....

<name here>

The entire Southern network apart from the West Coastway stations and Gatwick via Reading.

I can't think of a way to get to anywhere on the Southeastern network either.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Entire Southern Network? There's the East Croydon-Milton Keynes service...

dvboy

Established Member
Newark-Grimsby was mentioned above, only those beyond Lincoln as stations before the can be got to by change at Nottingham or Leicester, and Newark Northgate by change at Peterborough.

bnm

Established Member
... And Castle Cary, change at Taunton.

Again, how would that get you to Yeovil Junction? I suppose you could walk from Pen Mill... but neither of the normal (not ALR or BritRail) ticket options permit such a journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.