• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mornington Crescent

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I just received a rather curt but confusing email and wondered if any forum members can help to understand it:

Dear Mayor,

I'm afraid that the clothes that I was gifted as a birthday present a few years ago no longer fit so I'd like to return them. I can't remember where they came from but would it be okay if I sent them to the same address as my postal vote?

Yours Faithfully,
Mrs Trellis

As it happens I was also just watching the television coverage of the general election announcement, which made me realise it might be time for a game of our old favourite Mornington Crescent. We'll be making use of Purdah Rules for this edition of Mornington Crescent. This means moves to Westminster are banned and proceedings will cease as polling stations close on the day of the election.

With the monarch having the role of approving the dissolution of parliament I'll start with Victoria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Finchley Central (Office) for those who still hear the female ghost alleged to make a shrieking sound in the tunnels of that Northern Line branch.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not entirely sure that ghosts are permitted within the Purdah Rules but, I'll over look that and instead I think Covent Garden might be the move here.

RDP

We appear to be getting a bit too close to Westminster for comfort so using the Murray principle we finish up at Wimbledon.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Hmm. Interesting move. As moves to Westminster are banned, but we need to reflect the current news and thinking about the current crop of politicians, there is only one place to go and that is Becontree*.

* if you know, you know.

Peter C

Established Member
I belive 'tis now a good idea to move to Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3 in a vague attempt to go for a nice holiday somewhere and let the next few weeks blow over... Guernsey looks nice this time of year. :lol:

-Peter

RDP

Unfortunately typical British weather has grounded all flights so we head for Kings Cross.

DerekC

Established Member
No, no NO! You can't play a sneaky Finnigan's Rule of 17 so early in the game - remember what happened to the hamster in the story. To try to redress the balance:

Upminster

rapmastaj

I detect a case of elderberry blush! Quick, hop on over to Elephant & Castle, but make sure to leave the white rabbit behind.

DerekC

Established Member
Elephants, rabbits .. are you trying to manoeuvre me towards the Forbidden Place? There's a wormhole here that might lead somewhere amazing:

Hainault

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This might be a bit dubious but I'm sure Version 4 (2019) of the Purdah Rules permits it so I'm going to go with Clapham North

Purple Train

Established Member
This might be a bit dubious but I'm sure Version 4 (2019) of the Purdah Rules permits it so I'm going to go with Clapham North
Version 4? Good grief man! The relevant Caesar Section of the Purdah Rules changes with each Education Secretary, so we are now on Version 9. Version 9 makes it quite, quite clear that equilateral moves involving the Cartwright Diagonal are not permitted, so Clapham North is out of bounds. I trust Oakwood is not too remote?

DerekC

Established Member
Oakwood unfortunately fails when Hessenmonger's algorithm is applied, as it should be, with the correct amount of adjustment for bias. However a very slight movement to Cockfosters puts everything exactly in alignment, and all somebody has to do is enter the appropriate unlock code.

RDP

Having discovered the unlock code it says apply Bird's rule for the next move to Hendon Central,

Purple Train

Established Member
DerekC - of course. The only excuse I can proffer is that my copy of Hessenmonger's Algorithm was sent to me using Royal Mail rather than e-mail. As such, I think it's probably still in Dorchester-on-Thames.

Bird's rule definitely throws a spanner in the works, so, on a wing and a prayer, I'll head for Acton Central.

Peter C

Established Member
I once had a rather unfortunate incident involving a sponge finger whilst sat next to a cabinet minister at a station near Aylesbury, and because that begins with the same letter as Acton Central, I propose a move to Southwark to get away from the embarrassment.

-Peter

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Suitably ashamed after my previous rules violation due to using an out of date set how about a nice simple Euston Square

RDP

This is where we would normally apply Westminster rules but since that is banned it's off to Tower Hill.