• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most annoying habits of other passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph

One option for the loud phone talker is fighting fire with comedy fire. Either join in the conversation with suitably silly/comedic responses to his side of it; or do a Dom Joly on him with an even louder fake phone conversation back.

As for not letting you out, after 1 polite request, 1 firm request, and 1 final demand, I would take that as an indication that they would prefer me to just climb over them (which might unfortunately end up being an unpleasant experience for them).

<D

Live and let live, but if the other side steadfastly refuses to let live, then more direct action can be necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

Some people also think they have to sit in their reserved seat, like on an aircraft.

One might argue that NOT taking one's reserved seat might be leading others to believe that the seat might still be unavailable, therefore inconsiderately reducing the capacity of the train. :rolleyes:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
One might argue that NOT taking one's reserved seat might be leading others to believe that the seat might still be unavailable, therefore inconsiderately reducing the capacity of the train. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

If the train was half-empty, why did the OP not select a seat not adjacent to a reserved one?

duncanp

Established Member
Anyone remember the book "Pains On Trains"?

This lists a selection of generic nuisances that you get on the railways, as per the following list:-

The Beggar.
The Belligerent.
The Born in a Stable.
The Broadsheet.
The City Boy.
The Clique.
The Creative.
The Deadbeat.
The Death Breath.
The Double Seater.
The Drunk.
The Engager.
The Enquirer.
The Family.
The Fast Fooder.
The Flamboyant Groin.
The Gadget.
The Gaggle.
The Group.
The Hero.
The High Flier.
The Later Stater.
The Lovers.
The Make Up Artist.
The Mammoth.
The Mobile Phoner.
The New Worker.
The Night Clubbers.
The Nose Picker.
The Nutter.
The Over Your Shoulder.
The Pervert.
The Phantom Farter.
The Reservist.
The Ritualist.
The Sardine Packer.
The Sleeper.
The Social Climber.
The Spinster.
The Starer.
The Stinker.
The Stretcher.
The Territorialist.
The Texter.
The Toff.
The Train Timer.
The Traveller.
The Vomiter.
The Wheeled Caser.
The Youth.

I am sure we could all invent a few more categories

My nominations would be

(a) "The Handbag Fidget" (someone who is sitting next to you on the train and can't sit still for more than 5 seconds without figdeting inside their handbag (or manbag/briefcase if male) and elbowing you in the process

(b) "The swinging bag" (someone who is standing near you on a crowded train and is not holding on to their bag properly, so that as the train is moving along the bag swings round and hits you in the shins, or wherever is nearest.

paulfoel

OK, after over a year commuting daily by train heres my list:-

1. People who obsessively must sit in their reserved seat when the train is empty.

2. People who talk loudly on their mobiles and its obvious they are just talking crap to show off to everyone on the train how important they are.

3. People who try to pile on the train without waiting for others to get off.

What I find funny:-

1. The people who will search up and down the train for 10 minutes looking for their reservation on an empty train.

2. People who are pegging it down the steps of the station because they can see the train there - even though its not due to leave for 5 minutes.

3. People who look at the flashing light and wont press the button in case the train explodes.

RPM

Established Member
Last week I encountered a very annoying person on a Chiltern 165. As I sat down near a man who was on the other side I heard a noise a bit like somebody flicking foil or something. Taking a sideways glance his hands were not moving so I assumed it was coming from the train. The noise continued for several minutes, a bit like "schlock, schlak, schlock". I took another crafty look over and low and behold it was the bloke who was chewing a huge wad of gum at high speed with his mouth open. This continued all the way to Wembley where he got off. :-x

People who chew gum with their mouth open are one of the few things that actually provoke in me a violent desire to inflict pain. I have to exercise great restraint.

In terms of smoking on platforms, although I'm aware it is forbidden, it doesn't really bother me. What I do hate though is sitting next to a smoker on a train. I find the smell of stale old smoke on people much more offensive than the actual smoke itself.

The main gripe for me as a driver is the litter people leave all over the tables and seats, when there are plenty of bins. Not all the places where trains terminate have turnround cleaners. I sometimes have a quick clear up whilst changing ends but there isn't always time.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1. People who obsessively must sit in their reserved seat when the train is empty.

Although not usually enforced, I am led to believe that you must sit in your reserved seat. And if you have a seat that you want to keep (by choosing your seat on seat selector or something), then why sit in an unreserved seat which someone else could use without sitting in a reserved seat (regardless or not of if it unoccupied/not reserved yet - the person with the reservation might come through part way through the journey and the person already occupying the seat won't want to move. Anyway, rant over.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Although not usually enforced, I am led to believe that you must sit in your reserved seat. And if you have a seat that you want to keep (by choosing your seat on seat selector or something), then why sit in an unreserved seat which someone else could use without sitting in a reserved seat (regardless or not of if it unoccupied/not reserved yet - the person with the reservation might come through part way through the journey and the person already occupying the seat won't want to move. Anyway, rant over.

I must agree with my learned colleague...

If you have reserved a seat, why would you then not sit in it just because the rest of the compartment/carriage is empty?

bramling

Veteran Member
I must agree with my learned colleague...

If you have reserved a seat, why would you then not sit in it just because the rest of the compartment/carriage is empty?

Partly through reading so many threads on this forum containing complaints, one way or other, regarding annoyances over seat reservations, and also seeing increasing examples in real life of reservations causing problems, I'm increasingly coming to the opinion that we would be better abolishing reservations entirely.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Partly through reading so many threads on this forum containing complaints, one way or other, regarding annoyances over seat reservations, and also seeing increasing examples in real life of reservations causing problems, I'm increasingly coming to the opinion that we would be better abolishing reservations entirely.

Since we have frequent complaints about lack of seating we should just abolish seats and have done with both problems.

backontrack

Established Member
What do other passengers do that annoys you?

I hate it when someone on their own hogs a table so that only they can have it. It's also annoying when there are two people and they won't move their bags to let you on the table - eventually putting them on the table so that you have no table space.

Any more?

Last edited:

Phil.

Established Member
What annoys you about what 'normal' passengers do?

I hate it when someone on their own hogs a table so that only they can have it. It's also annoying when there are two people and they won't move their bags to let you on the table - eventually putting them on the table so that you have no table space.

Any more?

"Normal" pasengers - what are they?
Sane?
No limbs missing?
within acceptable weight?
Within acceptable height?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
People who feel the need to talk to you even though they don't know you from Adam. Asking if this is the train to so and so is fine but other than that all I want to do is mind my own business. If someone is in distress I will do all I can to help them but other than that I don't want to know what their plans are for the weekend.

Last edited:

Kristofferson

I'm not the biggest "rule obeyer" in life, but there are three areas where I always adhere to the rules: around speed cameras, taxes and the railway!

So it really annoys me when people don't respect the rules of the railway - not buying a ticket, sitting in 1st with a standard ticket, not standing behind the line, loud conversation in the quiet coach etc.

I don't think that's unreasonable :)

Tubeboy

People hogging seats with bags. One/two people hogging a section of 4 seats with a table, whilst groups are forced to sit elsewhere. Loud talking either to companion or in a phone. Those are the main ones.

Zoidberg

Established Member
People who feel the need to talk to you even though they don't know you from Adam. Asking if this is the train to so and so is fine but other than that all I want to do is mind my own business. If someone is in distress I will do all I can to help them but other than that I don't want to know what their plans are for the weekend.

Very much this!

fowler9

Established Member
After trevelling from West Allerton to Lime Street and back this morning I would like to repeat people trying to get on the train before you have got off.

SS4

Established Member
  1. A number of them en masse. (aka a crowded train)
  2. Being slow; to board, to alight, to move down a corridor, to go the bathroom, from platform to train, from exit to platform.
  3. Randomly stopping in the most inconvenient of places
  4. Blocking an entire pathway instead of standing to one side
  5. Disrespecting the rules of the quiet zone
  6. Loud chewing or eating smelly food/drink
  7. Loud/Roaming children, especially in first class
  8. Sound leaking from personal audio equipment (or through a built in speaker)
  9. Boarding without letting others alight
  10. Blocking the aisles
  11. Hogging space; for overhead luggage, leg room and seat space to name three.
  12. Chatting
  13. Birmingham City fans People who make poor life choices ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to need to take my blood pressure medication ;)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I'm the opposite! I've had some great conversations with complete strangers.

Same here! Once had a nice chat with a guy from Edinburgh Council and his mother all the way from Haymarket to Inverness, thoroughly pleasant journey and when I had some solitude on the way back it was actually pretty dull.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Same here! Once had a nice chat with a guy from Edinburgh Council and his mother all the way from Haymarket to Inverness, thoroughly pleasant journey and when I had some solitude on the way back it was actually pretty dull.

I agree... Once did a trip from Knaresbrough to York on a pacer and the guard spent the journey talking about pacers and how he likes to work them as much as possible

backontrack

Established Member
How about teenage girls behind you who won't stop singing despite any number of subtle and indeed less subtle hints? :roll:

Gillingham to London Bridge via Chislehurst. It felt like a two hour-long journey.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Normals talking on the phone in the quiet zone.
Normals being in the quiet zone
Normals being on a train with the quiet zone
Normals planning to get on a train with quiet zone.
Normals within 50 metres of a train with quiet zone.
Normals who will wedge you out (sit next to you) when there are plenty of seats available.

Status
Not open for further replies.