• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most effort/work spent on a railway project that ultimately never happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London,_Tilbury_and_Southend_line

"November 1949 saw platforms 1 and 2 at Fenchurch Street electrified through to Bow Junction on the Great Eastern Main Line on the 1500v DC system. No regular electric services worked this line and it was primarily for diversion and emergency usage although regular empty trains ran to ensure the system worked."
Fair enough, sounds like it was used as intended, then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’d like to nominate the Ouse Valley Railway started in 1866 and abandoned in 1867. This was a territorial scheme hatched by the LB&SCR to fight off threats by the SER to reach Brighton. The line was planned from north of Haywards Heath on the L&B main line to Uckfield and parliamentary approval to extend on to St Leonards near Hastings. Some infrastructure was built at the L&B main line end near Lindfield and also near Uckfield which can still be seen today.

davetheguard

Established Member
Fair enough, sounds like it was used as intended, then.

Quite, and it's such a short piece of track, the electrification of which kept the ability to divert from Liverpool Street to Fenchurch Street in case of problems at the Great Eastern terminus.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I've got 2;

Picc-Vic - Most that was built was an escalator well under the Arndale, however did later get split into the Metrolink and indefinitely up in the air Castlefield upgrade.

Northern Connect - over 100 new trains ordered and all 2 car 158s refurbished to the standard, only for nothing to be heard about it since the 158 refurb.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Picc-Vic - Most that was built was an escalator well under the Arndale, however did later get split into the Metrolink and indefinitely up in the air Castlefield upgrade.

Altrincham Interchange, Bury Interchange and Hazel Grove electrification were all component parts of Picc-Vic.

Also, I belive the space for a shaft at Victoria was also cleared in preparation too.

Master Cutler

Perhaps not the biggest example of abandoned projects , but there was a plan to extend the Prestatyn Dyserth branch from Dyserth quarry to Marian Mills.
According to Trefor Thompson's Pictorial History of the line, one Mr Pochin created a trackbed and several bridges which never saw rails.
Unfortunately with passenger services withdrawn in 1930 the extension project must have been doomed from the start.

Wapps

I would add: all the money spent designing and building 140mph capable stock (and some infrastructure) for the ECML, WCML and GWML, none of which were (class 91) or will (class 390 and class 80X) be used at this speed.

najaB

Veteran Member
none of which were (class 91) or will (class 390 and class 80X) be used at this speed.
Obviously the Class 91/Mk4 never will, but there's still a chance that the ETCS rollout will get far enough for at least some 140mph running before the 390s and 80x are life-expired.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I would add: all the money spent designing and building 140mph capable stock (and some infrastructure) for the ECML, WCML and GWML, none of which were (class 91) or will (class 390 and class 80X) be used at this speed.

Though you'd have to isolate the specific additional cost attributable to the extra capability. Which in most cases is negligible.

There'll be all sorts of passive (or active) provision examples. The provision at North Greenwich for a Jubilee Line branch to Thamesmead being one. Provision at Ashton under Lyne for an onwards Metrolink extension to Stalybridge. Etc.

matacaster

On Moderation
Cross-Bradford rail link. Several tries midland before first World War - actually built lead in somewhere near Thornhill, but gave up. Others were just plans. Latest NPR cross Bradford attempt equally unlikely to be completed.

Journeyman

Established Member
Though you'd have to isolate the specific additional cost attributable to the extra capability. Which in most cases is negligible.
Yeah, in most cases the jump from 100/110 to 125 is worthwhile, but the jump from 125 to 140 needs a lot of investment and tech for little benefit.

Mikey C

Established Member

There'll be all sorts of passive (or active) provision examples. The provision at North Greenwich for a Jubilee Line branch to Thamesmead being one. Provision at Ashton under Lyne for an onwards Metrolink extension to Stalybridge. Etc.
Or indeed the overrun tunnels from the original Jubilee Line terminus at Charing Cross which nearly reach Aldgate

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Southern Railway built a station at Lullingstone (between Swanley and Eynsford). Even appeared in summer 1939 timetable. Never opened and the housing never happened as it became green belt
Was about to mention this - it was planned as a four-platform junction station to serve a branch to a new airport, which was cancelled due to the war and never revived. The "main line" platforms were still visible when I last travelled over the line.

I'm intrigued by this. Where exactly is this? Are the platforms visible on Google maps? I just had a look but couldn't see anything?

I'm also puzzled about the idea of building an airport there. I'm very glad they didn't build one since it would've spoiled an amazingly beautiful area. But... doesn't an airport needs a decent area of reasonably flat ground to build the runway and associated facilities on? But the area around Eynsford and Lullingstone is full of pretty steep hills - flat land isn't exactly in plentiful supply around there! Doesn't seem at first sight like the kind of place you where would sensibly think of building an airport?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
The effort extending most of the South Wales Valley lines platforms to be long enough for 6 car DMU's seems a huge waste now given the replacement stock are going to be no where near that length (and I don't think I've ever seen a 6 car DMU in passenger use since then).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm intrigued by this. Where exactly is this? Are the platforms visible on Google maps? I just had a look but couldn't see anything?

I'm also puzzled about the idea of building an airport there. I'm very glad they didn't build one since it would've spoiled an amazingly beautiful area. But... doesn't an airport needs a decent area of reasonably flat ground to build the runway and associated facilities on? But the area around Eynsford and Lullingstone is full of pretty steep hills - flat land isn't exactly in plentiful supply around there! Doesn't seem at first sight like the kind of place you where would sensibly think of building an airport?

AIUI, the proposed airport was known as Lullingstone, and would have been located on the plateau between Eynsford and Crockenhill; at a guess one of the runways would have roughly followed the line fo the M25, which would suit the prevailing winds.

Gloster

Established Member

The location was just south of Eynsford tunnel and the platforms are supposed to still be there. One canopy went to Canterbury East.

From what I have read, the airport would have been planned as a much more modest affair than what we now expect one to be: it was initially referred to as an aérodrome. Before World War II it was intended that London would be served by no less than four locations: the existing Croydon and Heston dromes, and new ones at Fairlop and Lullingstone. The take-off runs of contemporary aircraft and the amount of traffic likely to be planned for makes me think that each would have been a relatively small affair.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The location was just south of Eynsford tunnel and the platforms are supposed to still be there. One canopy went to Canterbury East.

From what I have read, the airport would have been planned as a much more modest affair than what we now expect one to be: it was initially referred to as an aérodrome. Before World War II it was intended that London would be served by no less than four locations: the existing Croydon and Heston dromes, and new ones at Fairlop and Lullingstone. The take-off runs of contemporary aircraft and the amount of traffic likely to be planned for makes me think that each would have been a relatively small affair.
I wonder if anyone proposed an unnecessary express railway between them? :D

Journeyman

Established Member

The platforms are clearly visible from passing trains, but I don't know if there's any easy road access. No development took place around the station site, and it's surrounded by fields.

Strathclyde Tram was another example. It was planned in the mid-1990s, with entry to service by 2000 at the earliest, but the project later got cancelled. There were several proposals to extend Glasgow Subway over its 125 year history, with 2010 proposals being the most recent, when there were proposals for the Eastern Circle and the Maryhill to SECC lines, but this fell through.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The platforms are clearly visible from passing trains, but I don't know if there's any easy road access. No development took place around the station site, and it's surrounded by fields.

Looks like Google maps doesn't have sufficient resolution there to see much, beyond a brightly line alongside the railway which could almost be anything. I'm curious now - will have to see if there's anything visible from Crockenhill Lane next time I'm cycling around there. (I don't have any need to go by train anywhere on that line at the moment - and I'm curious, but not curious enough to make an unnecessary train journey for nothing else ;) )

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looks like Google maps doesn't have sufficient resolution there to see much, beyond a brightly line alongside the railway which could almost be anything. I'm curious now - will have to see if there's anything visible from Crockenhill Lane next time I'm cycling around there. (I don't have any need to go by train anywhere on that line at the moment - and I'm curious, but not curious enough to make an unnecessary train journey for nothing else ;) )
The Kent Rail website has an article with pictures taken in 2006, looks like many copers were missing, but the platform walls were fairly continuous:
The building of the station commenced shortly after the plans were published. As aforementioned, four platforms were to be in use here, their arrangement virtually identical to Swanley Junction station (which was to close in 1939): two faces for the main line and two for the airport branch. With reference to the latter, this would diverge from the line and curve round westwards, only trains heading in the southward direction being able to access it. The branch took a short course across a field to terminate at the airport terminals. The four prefabricated concrete platform faces were all to be linked by a footbridge of the same material, and all surfaces would have single-storey brick-built waiting accommodation.
I think the coping slab supports might be visible on Google Satellite view as rows of black dots?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
AIUI, the proposed airport was known as Lullingstone, and would have been located on the plateau between Eynsford and Crockenhill; at a guess one of the runways would have roughly followed the line fo the M25, which would suit the prevailing winds.
There's a short illustrated article on Lullingstone station here :

Lullingstone Station (kentrail.org.uk)

It's here on current Google Maps - you can see the serrated edge where the platform edge stones have been removed, as in the first photo above

Google Maps

The airport was to spread south-west from there, across what are still open fields to and beyond where the M25 motorway now is. In the 1930s, of course, the bulk of what airline traffic there was came from Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam etc, coming from this direction towards London. The project was one of the Southern Railway's, who bought the land, got the parliamentary approvals, and who were a significant shareholder in Imperial Airways, the pre-WW2 predecessor of British Airways.

This was an era when London was prone to fog/smog at its low level, and up on the plain of the North Downs, as here, was to get away from that.

ABB125

Established Member
There's a short illustrated article on Lullingstone station here :

Lullingstone Station (kentrail.org.uk)

It's here on current Google Maps - you can see the serrated edge where the platform edge stones have been removed, as in the first photo above

Google Maps

The airport was to spread south-west from there, across what are still open fields to and beyond where the M25 motorway now is. In the 1930s, of course, the bulk of what airline traffic there was came from Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam etc, coming from this direction towards London. The project was one of the Southern Railway's, who bought the land, got the parliamentary approvals, and who were a significant shareholder in Imperial Airways, the pre-WW2 predecessor of British Airways.

This was an era when London was prone to fog/smog at its low level, and up on the plain of the North Downs, as here, was to get away from that.
I'm intrigued by the thought of a railway company building an airport (along with all the associated planning etc) - imagine that happening nowadays (or not!).

Taunton

Established Member
I'm intrigued by the thought of a railway company building an airport (along with all the associated planning etc) - imagine that happening nowadays (or not!).
During the Grouping era the main railway companies were some of the largest commercial companies, by financial turnover, number of employees, value of assets, etc, in the country. In addition to rail services they had very substantial docks and shipping interests for overseas trade, so a 1930s-scale airport would be small beer to them.

Notwithstanding this, it apparently failed their financial analysis at the end, and it was for this reason they gave it up.

ABB125

Established Member
During the Grouping era the main railway companies were some of the largest commercial companies, by financial turnover, number of employees, value of assets, etc, in the country. In addition to rail services they had very substantial docks and shipping interests for overseas trade, so a 1930s-scale airport would be small beer to them.

Notwithstanding this, it apparently failed their financial analysis at the end, and it was for this reason they gave it up.
Very much "joined-up transport". How times change...

Status
Not open for further replies.