• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most evocative station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I'd go for Bristol Temple Meads or Exeter St Davids. Probably due to the GWR's PR machine.

Birmingham New Street as well. If only because it's the heart of network and I can still if I think about it hear Phil Sayer booming 'Birmingham New Street, this is Birmingham New Street' in the grimy depths in my mind.

Drigg - just the name of it evokes industry

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Falls of Cruachan - Very Lord of the Rings
Godley - it's not
Blackpool Pleasure Beach - indeed
Luxulyan - It's such an odd name, it inspires investigation.

Springs Branch

Established Member
These are the images which certain station names evoke in me:-

Rose Grove - another of those cheques returned stamped "Insufficient Funds". Reminds me of the hospital euphemism Rose Cottage.

Hag Fold - what it says on the box - two hard-faced slappers wheeling their pushchairs through a bleak northern council estate.

Church & Oswaldtwistle - two eccentric old blokes in flat caps wandering up a hilly street, Last of the Summer Wine-style (I know it's the wrong county!).

Effingham Junction - briefcase-carrying commuter in suit looking at watch and tutting (my view is coloured by reading Modern Railways in the past).

Pewsey - Colonel Faversham (retd.) standing at attention, brolly tightly furled, waiting for the morning train to Paddington.

Kirkby - a sudden, unexpected punch in the face from a random stranger.

Slough - come friendly bombs ......

Last edited:

Scouseinmanc

Bramley & Wonersh

Wetwang

Sible & Castle Hedingham

Loch Skerrow

Strata Florida

On the way in to work this morning, 2 more came to mind:

Dover Marine

My favourite - French Drove & Gedney Hill

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
so a list of our favorite stations then? I will choose Darlington although I like my little personal station at Fenny Stratford

Although my favorite name is either Luxulyan or Achnashellach or Briech

Last edited:

Aldaniti

My favourite evocative station name has to be Kingussie.

Over the years I've heard it pronounced literally, Kingoosie, Kinussie and Kinoosie. Always used to enjoy the various station announcers tackling it when announcing the arrival of The Clansman. :lol:

Railsigns

Established Member
Anywhere with "Junction" in its name infers a degree of importance, not always matched by reality.

AJM580

Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Teignmouth - hearing those names conjures up memories of mid 80's trips with 45s, 47s and 50s down that way

cf111

Established Member
Edinburgh Waverley is a very grand name. There seems to me to be a move towards referring to it as just "Edinburgh" in recent times, which is a shame.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Clapham Junction. On the 12th December 1988 thanks to an appalling attitude to safety and rolling stock not fit for purpose I was lucky not to lose my life.

John Luxton

Established Member
To me on a personal basis the most evocative station names were Penzance and Exeter St David's. In my late teens early 20s used to travel to West Country from Liverpool departure from Lime St was around 09:20 if I recall correctly with a relief SO 09:15? train to Paignton which went via Hereford & Severn Tunnel.

Penzance and the last mile of tack after the train comes through the bridge near the old Marazion station ... Since 1982 I drive down now but still get that buzz when I glimpse St Michael's Mount for the first time!

John

Zamracene749

If we are having stations abroad, I usually sigh thirstily when I hear the name 'Plzen' and have a childish snigger when I pass through 'Horni Police' (on the Decin-Liberec line) in the Czech Republic.

In the UK I think Dunrobin Castle is evocative of some retired riever in a huge grey stone edifice, British Steel Redcar says it all, Hazel Grove and Rose Hill sound much lovelier than they really are and just for pure roll off the tongue- Poppleton...

Calthrop

Established Member
If we are having stations abroad, I... have a childish snigger when I pass through 'Horni Police' (on the Decin-Liberec line) in the Czech Republic.

Continuing on “Eastern-Europe-related-minds-in-the-gutter” theme -- this recalls the station near Kłodzko in south-west Poland, with the name of Bardo Śląskie. With the Polish word for “very”, being “bardzo”: on first seeing the name of this place, I couldn’t refrain from pseudo-interpreting it as “Very Salacious” – while knowing with head, that the S-word in the name refers to the Polish form of Silesia, the surrounding region.

oldman

It's the sequences that bring back memories for me. Prestatyn, Rhyl, Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Deganwy and Llandudno. An endless stream of black fives on a summer Saturday at Chester General.

Established Member
It's the sequences that bring back memories for me. Prestatyn, Rhyl, Abergele, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Deganwy and Llandudno. An endless stream of black fives on a summer Saturday at Chester General.
Luton-Leagrave-Harlington-Flitwick & Bedford. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.