• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most evocative station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calthrop

Established Member
Just come to mind -- in sequence on the Derwent Valley Light Railway: Thorganby, Cottingwith, and Wheldrake. Feeling of quintessence of all things North-of-England-with Danish/Viking-flavour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

Newton Abbot. I was born in Paignton and whenever we travelled back down to Devon we'd go past the line with a large number of semaphore signals visible from the car.

And Chesham. For a couple of years when I was 5 or 6 we lived there. My first sight of a tube train was above ground in a small suburban town. Even now, I look back and find it fascinating how out of context it still looks. Although the modern trains look much more like, well, normal trains.

Railops

Borth - simply because it was where we went for our holidays when I was young and always traveled by train.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Just a few:

Moss Bank. Just down the road from where we lived when I was little and close to where I probably saw my first trains. Not that we used it much - a train every few hours could not compete with trolleybuses to St. Helens every 6 minutes.

Crank - the next station towards Rainford.

Thatto Heath - where I spent much time watching steam trains, mostly in the evening after school.

Hell (Norway) - in contrast to the name, it is a fairly quiet, pleasant small town station. .

anti-pacer

Established Member
Already mentioned but CROSSMYLOOF has to be the funniest. I could just hear that in a broad Glaswegian accent. "Hey pal, ye dunnae cross my loof or I'll chib ye with my Buckie bottle, ye wee bam so ye are". ☺

Others I like... in no order.

Dent
Seascale
St Budeaux
Dunrobin Castle
IBM
Manors
Seer Green and Jordans
Berry Brow
Cherry Tree

I'd have to have a think about others. Of course Cornwall, Wales and Scotland have some corkers.

On the Underground I like...

Fairlop
Angel
Bank
Elephant & Castle
Theydon Bois

ian1944

Undoubtedly Slaggyford, between Alston and Haltwhistle. The building and platform still seem to be extant, though in private hands.

pitdiver

My favourite in thee UK must be Falls of Cruachan and Forsinard ( naughty connotations). On the continent Calais Maritime. This always evokes thoughts of long distance European rail journeys planned but never taken.

Last edited:

SouthDevonian

Midsomer Norton always sounded nice. I've never been there and it may not live up to its name as it was in the heart of the Somerset coalfield.

Calthrop

Established Member
My favourite in thee UK must be Falls of Cruachan and Forsinard ( naughty connotations).

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have been struck by the abovementioned naughty connotations ! Had sometimes feared that concerning this, I was uniquely and reprehensibly subject to schoolboy mucky-mindedness...

JohnB57

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have been struck by the abovementioned naughty connotations ! Had sometimes feared that concerning this, I was uniquely and reprehensibly subject to schoolboy mucky-mindedness...
Yup. Such a shame that Levisham never carried the instruction "Alight here for the Hole of Horcum"...

Calthrop

Established Member
Yup. Such a shame that Levisham never carried the instruction "Alight here for the Hole of Horcum"...

Had to Google this one -- fun stuff -- referred to, as a feature equivalent to the south's Devil's Punchbowl. For those of us seemingly frozen in time at the approximate age of 8 years: it turns out that there's a book titled Rude Britain -- the 100 rudest place names in Britain: in whose hierarchy the H of H comes in at eleventh place.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Some of the stations up north are certainly a funny bunch. Lazonby & Kirkoswald and Ramsgreave & Wilpshire for example!

341o2

Established Member
Ramsbottom, Effingham junction (fnarr fnarr). Not a staion, but Pyewipe near Grimsby

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Not a staion, but Pyewipe near Grimsby

There's a virtually identical rail-associated name (though again, not an actual station) in those parts: Pye Wipe Junctions just west of Lincoln, divergence-points involving former Great Northern / Great Eastern Joint, and Great Central (ex-Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast) lines. I gather that the word is the local version of "peewit": colloquial name for the lapwing or green plover.

colchesterken

Christ's Hospital ,Makes you think they have done away with ambulances and just ferry patients in by train

Status
Not open for further replies.