• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most interesting Intercity line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up_Tilt_390

Out of London eh? I'd say the West Coast Main Line. Between London and Preston there is some interesting scenes, particularly in the Trent Valley, but north of Preston is brilliant. The Scottish section, along with a lot of Scottish routes, is beautiful. Preston drivers get the best experience cause they get to see the whole core route.

East Coast Main Line looks great too, especially running along the coast north of Peterborough.I find the two track sections of both mainlines have the most beautiful scenes, but out of London isn't too bad either. Don't even get me started on how great it is to ride through Scotland and Over Shap Summit in First Class.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
East Coast Main Line looks great too, especially running along the coast north of Peterborough.I find the two track sections of both mainlines have the most beautiful scenes, but out of London isn't too bad either. Don't even get me started on how great it is to ride through Scotland and Over Shap Summit in First Class.

Eh? The North Sea coast is along way from Peterborough!

driver_m

Established Member
Ha ha, you are getting us all jealous now with your drivers eye view, incidentally the view from the cab must be quite something approaching Crewe running through non stop on the fast lines at 80/90 mph?

Trust me it's worth its weight in gold. Not because it's any good but because of its rarity value! There's more hair raising full speed runs. Bescot on the up at 60 or Wilmslow when it was signalled locally which was properly hair raising at 100. Anyway that's going off topic. I'm surprised anyone finds the Trent Valley interesting. I find most of it dull.

mm333

I like HS1 - past the Rainham Marshes, under the QEII bridge and its industrial landscape, the rolling Kent countryside, over the Medway.

And then if you're on a Southeastern service, along the Stour valley into Canterbury or through Folkestone and - when it re-opens - along the sea wall to Dover.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like HS1 - past the Rainham Marshes, under the QEII bridge and its industrial landscape, the rolling Kent countryside, over the Medway.

And then if you're on a Southeastern service, along the Stour valley into Canterbury or through Folkestone and - when it re-opens - along the sea wall to Dover.

Growing up in Kent in the 80's and 90's, I don't think I would have classed the Stour Valley as InterCity !

cambsy

On Moderation
I like the four main intercity lines out of London, each has their own charm to me, from scenery to experience, i will start with Great Western then move around clockwise.

Great Western

Scenery from Reading to Taunton and beyond, Dawlish sea wall, view from window west of Exeter.

Pullman Dining is to me the perfect way to travel, great food and scenery, hard to beat combination.

West Coast Mainline

Blasting along at 125 mph with tilt working hard, scenery north of Preston, love blasting through Lune Gorge at 125 mph southbound and Preston-Glasgow, first class with food and drink.

East Coast Mainline

Travelling on a HST first class while having food and drink, scenery north of Newcastle, high speed blast south of Newcastle.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The Midland Railway in terms of scenery in my view is obviously the Leeds City - Carlisle section.

There is also the Matlock - Bakewell - Buxton/Peak Forest section too (Midland Railway route to Manchester), but obviously, you would have to walk the former trackbed, due to the track being torn up many moons ago.

I have a question here: Does the Midland Railway route to York via Pontefract Baghill has anything to shout out about scenery wise (apart from the power station at Ferrybridge), or is it a normal run of the mill route that passes through wastelands? I'm trying to fit in the 2 journeys each way that run Sheffield Midland - York for a future trip.

urbophile

Established Member
Lime Street has a very impressive train shed.

Agreed. The station is quite splendid and the immediate surroundings have been improved. I was lamenting the state of the street itself (south of St George's Hall) and the mediocre plans for its rebuilding.

Holly

Out of London eh? I'd say the West Coast Main Line. Between London and Preston there is some interesting scenes, particularly in the Trent Valley, but north of Preston is brilliant. The Scottish section, along with a lot of Scottish routes, is beautiful. Preston drivers get the best experience cause they get to see the whole core route.
... Don't even get me started on how great it is to ride through Scotland and Over Shap Summit in First Class.
Not as interesting as it was in the days of the Night Mail though
https://youtu.be/S7SD6qt0EFI?t=764

Requeststop

Happy St Piran's Day!

The Op said “out of London”, and “most interesting Journey”. I am biased but Paddington – Penzance is by far my favourite. Mostly because I am heading home.
Firstly, you have to sit facing forward on the left of the carriage and have a decent window, and a good view across the carriage. The 10:06 is the best service. Remember you are travelling over Brunel’s lines to Reading. It’s still a great line to travel over. Almost as soon as you leave Paddington there is the excitement of Old Oak Common Depot and the development of North Pole., You are under the wires to Heathrow Junction, and after that there is the thrill of seeing just how far the electrification of the WEML has progressed or not as the case may be. Before Heathow, you can watch the aircraft coming into land as you speed on westwards. There are views of the Thames, especially at Maidenhead, though you don’t see the bridge, you do travel over Brunel’s masterpiece, that everyone said wouldn’t carry a train over it. Reading is now a lot more interesting and is a fairly decent interchange station, and the new rail layout with the flyover makes leaving Reading a lot more attention grabbing.
The B&H has its detractors I know, bit I prefer it to going via Swindon, Bath and Bristol. Ok Theale to Midgham may not be the most interesting part of the Berks and Hants but you can make your way to the buffet and buy some refreshments as you’re not missing much. By the time you have made your way back to your seat you are alongside the Kennet and Avon, Newbury Racecourse, and you can spend the time wondering why electrification is not as developed as it is.
Rolling hills and glimpses of the canal and the occasional canalside pubs then the approach to Westbury and the White Horse. Looking out for the Frome Branch, Bruton and Castle Cary stations and the Weymouth Branch, Glastonbury Tor, Cogload Junction, Plenty to watch out for along the B&H. Flying through Taunton, heading southwestwards now crossing into Devon, and the approach to Exeter. After that you don’t need words from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.