• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most pointless journey for which a fare is available

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
Good shout. May I nominate Tees-side Airport to Reddish South. TEA only has one train service all week, around 2.30pm on Sunday. And RDS only has two trains a week, one in each direction, on a Saturday morning.
That leads to an interesting question, is it actually possible to use the tickets for that journey?

IIRC there is a rule that if there are no more trains on the day of the ticket you can continue your journey on the next day, but what happens if there is no train on the next day either? can you use the ticket on the next day that it runs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
That leads to an interesting question, is it actually possible to use the tickets for that journey?

IIRC there is a rule that if there are no more trains on the day of the ticket you can continue your journey on the next day, but what happens if there is no train on the next day either? can you use the ticket on the next day that it runs?
At least the return journey is possible! :lol:

matacaster

On Moderation
The train begins in Leeds heads south towards Outwood and then stops at Westgate where it turns east toward Knottingley via Kirkgate.

However if passengers needed to depart the train at Kirkgate because it is closer to a certain attraction by all means stay on the train to Kirkgate. I just find pointless than someone would buy a ticket to an hourly train that goes less than a mile to Kirkgate where they can interchange- let’s bear in mind this service is hourly so buying this ticket requires timing because if not walking is the best option.

It is a lot better now the station and local environ has been improved, but in days of yore, walking in the late evening around Kirkgate station was not to be recommended.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I would guess there will be some Wakefield Westgate - Kirkgate tickets sold simply to bypass the barriers at Westgate by someone chancing travelling further afield without buying another ticket. Ie a LNER service to Doncaster

johntea

Established Member
If you have say a Kings Cross to Wakefield advance is that valid to alight at Westgate then jump on a train to Kirkgate? (or if you buy Station X to Wakefield Stations, alight at Kirkgate is that then considered the completion of the journey or just a break of journey and therefore still valid to use towards Westgate later in the day?)

Credit to the guards I have seen a ticket check carried out between the two stations once or twice in the past!

Metrolink

If you have say a Kings Cross to Wakefield advance is that valid to alight at Westgate then jump on a train to Kirkgate?
I wouldn’t be too sure it depends on your ticket type, I think you would need an anyroute or anytime ticket.
(or if you buy Station X to Wakefield Stations, alight at Kirkgate is that then considered the completion of the journey or just a break of journey and therefore still valid to use towards Westgate later in the day?)
It is a pretty long detour to avoid Wakefield Westgate from Kings Cross before alighting at Kirkgate (it would require going to knottingley then Pontefract Monkhill and then Kirkgate ) but if coming from Leeds or Knottingley, yes it would be acceptable I would think to them take a train to Westgate.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you have say a Kings Cross to Wakefield advance is that valid to alight at Westgate then jump on a train to Kirkgate?
There would be nothing on the ticket precluding validity this way - Advances from Kings Cross to Wakefield Westgate are actually issued to Wakefield Stations and are route LNER & Connections, so taking Northern from Westgate to Kirkgate after your LNER service would be fine.

In theory you should book your ticket with that Northern connecting train in your itinerary, but it wouldn't show up on the ticket either way (those services aren't reserveable), so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

or if you buy Station X to Wakefield Stations, alight at Kirkgate is that then considered the completion of the journey or just a break of journey and the
If it's a walk-up ticket, you could break your journey at either Kirkgate or Westgate and then later continue on to the other station, provided you hadn't previously passed through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.