• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most station calls by one train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Yesterday whilst travelling on 2M06 0601 Swansea to Crewe via the Heart of Wales line, I realised this train serves 41 stations. Most are request stops, so it didn't actually stop at all 41. Is this a record for a train in the current UK timetable, or are there trains somewhere with more calls? Incidentally, 2M06 takes 5hr 09min, a long ride in a 153!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bleeder4

I thought the obvious candidate would be the Aberdeen to Penzance CrossCountry, as that's the longest single train journey in the country, but I've just checked and that's only 35 stations. Close, but not close enough!

frodshamfella

Established Member
When I was lad my local station was Bexleyheath. I used to study the timetable for changes and anything unusual . There were occasional services from Charing Cross to Gillingham via Bexleyheath, calling at all station, i've not counted, but it always seems a lot of stations to cover .

Spartacus

Established Member
Just checked and the old Leeds - Lincoln all stations via Huddersfield is a mere 35 stations. It always seemed to be a MerseyRail 142, probably because it was an evening peak service out of Leeds! o_O<D

pdeaves

Established Member
Yesterday whilst travelling on 2M06 0601 Swansea to Crewe via the Heart of Wales line, I realised this train serves 41 stations. Most are request stops, so it didn't actually stop at all 41. Is this a record for a train in the current UK timetable, or are there trains somewhere with more calls? Incidentally, 2M06 takes 5hr 09min, a long ride in a 153!
That makes for a very long announcement especially when adding in all the 'request' instructions and in two languages! I've heard a claim that this journey has the longest announcement, so I could quite easily believe that it contains the most calls.

(Note, not an invite to debate multi-language announcements, that is a separate thread).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When this thread‘s question has come round before, (and it’s been a few times now), numbers around 45-50 have usually been the maximum. At one point IIRC the Aberdeen to Penzance was as many as 44 stations, and I remember a few years ago an unusual SWT Waterloo to Weymouth that had 48 calls, but that’s no longer running.

As an example the 2016 situation is here, it records an ATW service with 50 calls:

Western 52

When this thread‘s question has come round before, (and it’s been a few times now), numbers around 45-50 have usually been the maximum. At one point IIRC the Aberdeen to Penzance was as many as 44 stations, and I remember a few years ago an unusual SWT Waterloo to Weymouth that had 48 calls, but that’s no longer running.

As an example the 2016 situation is here, it records an ATW service with 50 calls:
I remember that Crewe to Cardiff as it stopped at most main line stations and took over 6 hours. The Sunday timetable currently has a Shrewsbury to Cardiff, but it runs fast Swansea to Cardiff and only has 38 calls.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I thought the obvious candidate would be the Aberdeen to Penzance CrossCountry, as that's the longest single train journey in the country, but I've just checked and that's only 35 stations. Close, but not close enough!
It was as high as 47 on Saturdays at one point (2014-ish) but has had some calls removed.

Parallel

Established Member
It was as high as 47 on Saturdays at one point (2014-ish) but has had some calls removed.
It did stop at Lostwithiel and Hayle on Saturdays before the pandemic in addition to all the Fife stations and some of the Cornish stations it now misses out!

Purple Train

Established Member
I wondered about 1V44, the 1331 SSuX Manchester Piccadilly-Tenby service, but (if I've counted correctly) that only has 38 station calls.
Incidentally, today (11/08) it was apparently worked by 150264, which I wouldn't want on a 6.5-hour journey!
I also wondered about the Merseyrail loop services. Chester services make 32 station calls, West Kirby services make 26 station calls, New Brighton services make 18 station calls, and Ellesmere Port services make 32 station calls.
I also wondered about 1V92, the 0625 SSuX Holyhead-Maesteg service, but that has a paltry 36.
That is if my counting skills are as potent as they were when I had just learned to count, which is questionable!

Western 52

I'd not noticed that 2V08 0914 Crewe to Swansea also has 41 stops. Today though it only appears to have made it as far as Shrewsbury.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
One for the older forumites, but how many stops did that Manchester Piccadilly - London Waterloo service have?

Edit: found the answer, it was only 24. The train definitely took the scenic route but ran semi fast.

06:52 Manchester Piccadilly to London Waterloo (1O24)

Calling at

Crewe, Nantwich, Wrenbury, Chester, Prees, Wem, Yorton, Shrewsbury, Chester, Craven Arms, Ludlow, Leominster, Hereford, Abergavenny, Cwmbraen Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Bradford Upon Avon, Trowbridge, Warminster, Woking, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo (13:14)

Jimini

Established Member
Doesn't the Waterloo to Reading service call at about 895 stops and take about three days? :lol:

Welshman

Established Member
One for the older forumites, but how many stops did that Manchester Piccadilly - London Waterloo service have?

Edit: found the answer, it was only 24. The train definitely took the scenic route but ran semi fast.

06:52 Manchester Piccadilly to London Waterloo (1O24)

Calling at

Crewe, Nantwich, Wrenbury, Chester, Prees, Wem, Yorton, Shrewsbury, Chester, Craven Arms, Ludlow, Leominster, Hereford, Abergavenny, Cwmbraen Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Bradford Upon Avon, Trowbridge, Warminster, Woking, Clapham Junction and London Waterloo (13:14)
If you disregard the two calls at Chester, then I make it 21! :D

Established Member
Not as many as some of the others on here, but coming close is Thameslink's 0600 Bedford to Rainham which has 33 stops, occasionally Rainham trains are extended to Bedford during engineering works on Saturdays and have 37 stops as they also call at Radlett, Elstree, Mill Hill and West Hampstead during the day.

Luton to Rainham has 34 stops and runs every half hour, which is probably the most regular service with so many stops?

Last edited:

TST2022

I think it's a late night Thameslink Brighton to Bedford it goes via redhill and Kentish town (stopps every single station along the whole line between brighton and Bedford)

_toommm_

Established Member
1159 and 1558 Whitby to Hexham (SuX) are through trains, aren't they? However, are some intermediate stations not called at, as I don't quite count 39 stops.

Probably meant Carlisle to Whitby - the 10:34 SuO departure is 39 stops.

miklcct

On Moderation
I think it's a late night Thameslink Brighton to Bedford it goes via redhill and Kentish town (stopps every single station along the whole line between brighton and Bedford)

Late night trains don't call between London Blackfriars and East Croydon.

Statto

Established Member
Pwllheli to Birmingham International is 37 stops, trains join, split, with the Aberystwyth service at Machynlleth, but do operate through

Status
Not open for further replies.