• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most uncomfortable seating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
So in summary anything with 3+2 seating is despised more than a unit with 2+2 seating?

I'd rather have 2+2 seating and have to stand. I'm no behemoth but 3+2 is far too cozy, especially on the way to work. :D

stut

Established Member
I'd rather have 2+2 seating and have to stand. I'm no behemoth but 3+2 is far too cozy, especially on the way to work. :D

Unfortunately, if the 700s are anything to go by, we're going to get 2+2 seating that's the size of 2+3 seating, so it'll be the worst of both worlds!

pemma

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, if the 700s are anything to go by, we're going to get 2+2 seating that's the size of 2+3 seating, so it'll be the worst of both worlds!

Some trains with 3+2 seating don't actually have narrower seats than trains with 2+2 seating. The 357s and ex-FNW 150s, for instance, have the same seats used on trains with 2+2 seating like the ATW 142s and 150s. The downside of using them as 3+2 seating means there's no armrests or space between the seats and the window seats are right up against the side of the train.

stut

Established Member
Some trains with 3+2 seating don't actually have narrower seats than trains with 2+2 seating. The 357s and ex-FNW 150s, for instance, have the same seats used on trains with 2+2 seating like the ATW 142s and 150s. The downside of using them as 3+2 seating means there's no armrests or space between the seats and the window seats are right up against the side of the train.

You can also observe different spacing between the same seat types.

This is apparent on the 365s, for example - the seats nearest the vestibules have no gaps, and are similar in spacing to those in a 2+3 arrangement. To be avoided.

I don't mind a lack of armrest, it's really just the ability to sit next to an average sized person, without contact and elbow jostling, and without sitting with one buttock hanging out into the aisle. Is this so unreasonable? It seems so, on the future Thameslink lines...

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't mind a lack of armrest, it's really just the ability to sit next to an average sized person, without contact and elbow jostling, and without sitting with one buttock hanging out into the aisle. Is this so unreasonable? It seems so, on the future Thameslink lines...

I think with 2+2 seating there either should be armrests between the seats and between the seats and the side of the train, or there should be enough space for an arm rest to go in those places.

Willr2094

The tip up seats in the wheelchair - accessible vestibule of each Class 185 are fairly uncomfortable. Very small, extremely hard and unsupportive. I suppose they must be all right on a short journey but on a long journey, like Manchester Piccadilly to York, they are tiring to sit on. Also, because they are attached to the bodyside, you have to sit sideways, which not only means that you can't look out of the window, you also feel very perched, which can feel rather unstable, especially when the train brakes for a station stop.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The tip up seats in the wheelchair - accessible vestibule of each Class 185 are fairly uncomfortable. Very small, extremely hard and unsupportive. I suppose they must be all right on a short journey but on a long journey, like Manchester Piccadilly to York, they are tiring to sit on.

I wouldn't fancy them on a journey that long, but I have found them fine for Hudds - Leeds. The pullout tables can be somewhat unstable though.

IC70 seats - awful.

Absolutely no head support whatsoever. The only thing worse would be the Mk2 stock where the seats had head rests (wings) so narrow and low that it was impossible to sit back.

Yes! They were awful. They just dug into my shoulders. The 377/6 ironing boards are bad but those wings were the limit...... Hopefully never to be surpassed

GWRjake

From my experience:
Least comfortable: Greater Anglia Class 321 (high density and tiny).
Most comfortable: South West Class 159/Chiltern Loco Hauled set (spacious and well padded).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The tip up seats in the wheelchair - accessible vestibule of each Class 185 are fairly uncomfortable. Very small, extremely hard and unsupportive. I suppose they must be all right on a short journey but on a long journey, like Manchester Piccadilly to York, they are tiring to sit on. Also, because they are attached to the bodyside, you have to sit sideways, which not only means that you can't look out of the window, you also feel very perched, which can feel rather unstable, especially when the train brakes for a station stop.

I wouldn't fancy them on a journey that long, but I have found them fine for Hudds - Leeds. The pullout tables can be somewhat unstable though.

One of the reasons I prefer a 170 over a 185 for my regular DEW-HUD run is the fact that 170s have tip-up seats in the vestibules, ones which face forwards/backwards too!
The wheelchair area on the 185 is better than the cycle area, indeed in the evenings it's often a good area if you want a bit of privacy. The cycle area in the DMS vehicle is horrible though, not helped by people choosing to leave their luggage there rather than the perfectly good luggage rack opposite!

Camden

Established Member
I think in all cases its what is done with the seats rather than the physical width of them. 3+2 on UK width trains can never give decent comfort both for lacking armrests but primarily for that if someone sits next to you and or you need to sit next to the window all but the daintiest are going to be squished and rubbing shoulders.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The wheelchair area on the 185 is better than the cycle area, indeed in the evenings it's often a good area if you want a bit of privacy. The cycle area in the DMS vehicle is horrible though, not helped by people choosing to leave their luggage there rather than the perfectly good luggage rack opposite!

Yes, they can be quite handy and usefully out of the way if the rest of the train is rammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.