• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most varied train driver role?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris M

If I were to become a train driver, and had free choice of any depot at any TOC/FOC in the country, which should I choose if I wanted the most variety in the routes I drove?

By variety I don't just mean distance, for example 50 miles of routes covering two different routes beats 100 miles to a single destination. Driving both fast and slow services to a single destination is equal to a single speed to two destinations.

This is a hypothetical question, so there is no need to worry about whether there is actually a vacancy and whether I would actually qualify to get the job (in reality I'm not certain I would), however I'm only interested (in this thread) in jobs that do actually exist - mainly for drivers working today but historical comparisons may be interesting too.

Mods, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
I think northern depots possibly have a wide variety of traction with electric and diesel units but I'm not sure if there is much 'express' work. I think TPE do too but traction seems to be either 185s or 350s only.

tlionhart

I would say GWR- Exeter depot.
Their link 1 signs a big variety.

-Sleeper
-HST -express work
-Sprinter/pacer sets -local stoppers and branch line

Their route variation is extensive too. They cover;
-Exeter-Penzance
-Exeter-London via both Westbury and Bath
-Exeter-Bristol/Cardiff
-Exeter-Bristol via Western Super mare
-branch lines (Paignton, Barnstaple and diversions. Even though some sign Cardiff, not sure if they go there anymore.

So you could do a quick job on a branch line and then a London and back. There are not many drivers in the link (around 30-40) and if you were to join you would mostly be driving local stoppers and trips to Bristol and branch line work.
So its extensive.
I could have missed a few bits out or made a slight mistake so hopefully someone would be along to correct that. As far as I'm aware its the most extensive route coverage and traction on the network. Lots of different working methods too. Single line working-token working, multiple aspects, semaphore/absolute block sections

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Norwich is probably one of the most varied depots on AGA as depending on which link you're in, you could sign...

Norwich-Sheringham/Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth (both routes)
Ipswich-Felixstowe/Lowestoft
Norwich-Cambridge (soon to be Stansted Airport)
Norwich-London Liverpool Street

Loco classes 08/37/47/90
DMU classes 153/156/158/170

Minilad

Established Member
Link B at Cross Country Birmingham would be up there I think.
Routes are Reading/Bournemouth via Coventry and Solihull. Bristol. Cardiff. Manchester via Macclesfield and Crewe Derby/Nottingham. Leicester and Leicester to Derby Then diversionary routes via Worcester Lichfield Styal. So get a good mix of high speed running and semi fast trains and almost local service to Leicester.
Sign two depots. Tyseley and Central Rivers
Traction is Voyager and 170 only but plenty of diagrams where you drive both in the same day.

Daz9284

From what I see from their posts on Facebook, DBS Knottingley drivers get all over the UK! Definitely as far north as Newcastle and Carlisle, and as far south-west at St. blazey

Regards
Darryl

A-driver

Established Member
Would have thought freight depots will trump most passenger depots for variety. Although the newcastles east coast lodging link is pretty varied with London, Inverness and Aberdeen.

JAMBO

If it's a good route card you want then nothing will topple a freight depot. In a week you could get all over the country with some great jobs, good variation of work.

HLE

Established Member
Norwich is probably one of the most varied depots on AGA as depending on which link you're in, you could sign...

Norwich-Sheringham/Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth (both routes)
Ipswich-Felixstowe/Lowestoft
Norwich-Cambridge (soon to be Stansted Airport)
Norwich-London Liverpool Street

Loco classes 08/37/47/90
DMU classes 153/156/158/170

Got to be one of the better passenger depots in terms of route and traction variety. Although jobs there never seem to come up.

Didn't realised Norwich men also signed the Felixstowe line, you learn something new everyday.

KT530

GWR's Reading Depot has a nice variety for newbies:

Reading - Paddington (Relief line/stopper)
Reading - Paddington (Main line/fast)
Reading - Oxford (Relief line/stopper)
Reading - Oxford via Didcot avoider (Main line/fast)
Reading - Bedwyn (semi fast)
Reading - Newbury (stopper)
Reading - Basingstoke
Slough - Windsor
Maidenhead - Marlow
Tywford - Henley on Thames

Plus Reading - Redhill/Gatwick for those in the higher links

455driver

Veteran Member
I would say GWR- Exeter depot.
Their link 1 signs a big variety.

-Sleeper
-HST -express work
-Sprinter/pacer sets -local stoppers and branch line

-Exeter-Penzance
-Exeter-London via both Westbury and Bath
-Exeter-Bristol/Cardiff
-Exeter-Bristol via Western Super mare
-branch lines (Paignton, Barnstaple and diversions. Even though some sign Cardiff, not sure if they go there anymore.

So you could do a quick job on a branch line and then a London and back. There are not many drivers in the link (around 30-40) and if you were to join you would mostly be driving local stoppers and trips to Bristol and branch line work.
So its extensive.
I could have missed a few bits out or made a slight mistake so hopefully someone would be along to correct that. As far as I'm aware its the most extensive route coverage and traction on the network. Lots of different working methods too. Single line working-token working, multiple aspects, semaphore/absolute block sections
How do you arrive at the highlighted part?
It is also completely wrong!

Joof

Don't know much about other TOC's but here are the northern routes that a top link driver signs At leeds.

All leeds to:
Skipton
Bradford foster square
Ilkley
Manchester Victoria
Selby
Sheffield
Nottingham
Blackpool
Goole
Wakefield
Knottingley/pontefract
Carlisle
York mainline
York via harrogate
Doncaster
Huddersfield

Don't know if I'm missing any.

Traction:
142, 144, 153, 155, 158
321, 322, 333

455driver

Veteran Member
By train? :D

Also arn't you based there, so perhaps you can clear up what starters do?

Yeah I am which is why I know you are wrong!

Oh there are actually 2 depots at Exeter, West and HS. ;)

Last edited:

tlionhart

Well as far as I'm aware HS sign pretty much what I wrote. Never said I was right, just always thought it had an extensive route coverage

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
I've found HS and non HS are often separate and they don't sign each other's traction or all of their routes ?

Last edited:

tlionhart

I've found HS and non HS are often separate and they sign each other's traction and all of their routes ?

For Exeter I thought that. Whereas at Paddington LTV and HSS are separate. HSS don't sign 16X or their branch lines. They sign in at same place, etc so same depot.

455driver

Veteran Member
Go in then, I will stop being obtuse!
I would say GWR- Exeter HS depot.
(Their link 1 signs a big variety.) There is only one proper link at Exeter HS

-Sleeper yep, only Plymouth share the sleeper work and they only cover it between Exeter and Penzance on the down, all the rest is covered by Exeter
-HST -express work yep lots of it
-Sprinter/pacer sets -local stoppers yep and branch line some

-Exeter-Penzance yep
-Exeter-London via both Westbury and Bath yep
-Exeter-Bristol yep /Cardiff nope
-Exeter-Bristol via Western Super mare yep
-branch lines (Paignton yep, Barnstaple nope, also Exmouth and diversions. Even though some sign Cardiff nope unless they have kept it on after transferring from (West) East link, not sure if they go there anymore.

So you could do a quick job on a branch line and then a London and back. yep There are not many drivers in the link (around 30-40) yep and if you were to join you would mostly be driving local stoppers and trips to Bristol and branch line work. definitely nope
So its extensive.
I could have missed a few bits out or made a slight mistake so hopefully someone would be along to correct that. As far as I'm aware its the most extensive route coverage and traction on the network. Lots of different working methods too. Single line working-token working nope, multiple aspects, semaphore/absolute block sections yep

You were close and I think I did you a dis-service! ;)

Edit-
I am having second thoughts on them not signing Barnstaple and using the token, I think they might do actually.

Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
For Exeter I thought that. Whereas at Paddington LTV and HSS are separate. HSS don't sign 16X or their branch lines. They sign in at same place, etc so same depot.

My mistake I meant what you said just then and have amended my original post. Simple reason being I think its hard to keep up competence on lots of different traction types and routes.

whoosh

Established Member
I'm sure I read on another forum about a driver who drove a Network Rail Measurement Train for what was then Serco. An old DMU. It filmed and took measurements of the track. He had to learn almost the whole of the UK and did a lot if lodging in hotels.
Must've been an interesting task.

Status
Not open for further replies.