• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mother Selected Wrong Railcard when Booking Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhx

Hi All
My mum booked an advance fare from Redditch to Penrith using Chiltern online, however afterwards she realised she'd selected a student railcard as opposed to her senior railcard.

Is this likely to cause any problems on the trains and if so what's the best way to get it sorted in advance? I know the discount is the same but I don't want it to make the ticket invalid and for her to end up with a penalty fare.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Hi All
My mum booked an advance fare from Redditch to Penrith using Chiltern online, however afterwards she realised she'd selected a student railcard as opposed to her senior railcard.

Is this likely to cause any problems on the trains and if so what's the best way to get it sorted in advance? I know the discount is the same but I don't want it to make the ticket invalid and for her to end up with a penalty fare.
Thanks
Best way is to go to a station ticket office before travel.

Second best is to speak to platform staff or the guard before boarding.

Third best is to feign ignorance and play the 'daft old lady' routine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Agent_c

Hi All

Thanks

Phone the company you bought them from and see if they can reissue it with the right railcard. Worst case they should be able to cancel and reissue, but that might incurr an admin fee.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Best way is to go to a station ticket office before travel.

Second best is to speak to platform staff or the guard before boarding.
Agree with both of the above. There shouldn't be a problem but it would be best to sort it before boarding, especially if more than one train is involved.
Third best is to feign ignorance and play the 'daft old lady' routine.
Terrible advice. As the problem has been found before travel with time to resolve it, I really cannot see why we would suggest a course of action which might lead to a confrontation with an over-zealous RPI.

najaB

Veteran Member
Terrible advice. As the problem has been found before travel with time to resolve it, I really cannot see why we would suggest a course of action which might lead to a confrontation with an over-zealous RPI.
I thought the 'daft old lady' bit was enough to indicate it wasn't advice on a course of action to take, but rather of one not to take. But reading it again I can see that it was not.

For the avoidance of doubt, sort it out beforehand.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Don't buy online next time:(

If she'd bought off a booking clerk they would have asked to see the railcard and the mistake would not have happened.

S eriously though go back to Chiltern and explain easy enough to non issue and refund and book again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Phone the company you bought them from and see if they can reissue it with the right railcard. Worst case they should be able to cancel and reissue, but that might incurr an admin fee.

Non issues are free if it's. Sorted before date of travel.

74A

Don't buy online next time:(

If she'd bought off a booking clerk they would have asked to see the railcard and the mistake would not have happened.

Seen plenty of such errors from booking office tickets. Easy mistake to make as the price quoted will be the correct one.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Seen plenty of such errors from booking office tickets. Easy mistake to make as the price quoted will be the correct one.

Indeed, but not as common as people who book online and accidentally select the wrong railcard.

Personally, in these circumstances I'd accept the ticket for travel and make an appropriate endorsement on the ticket to that effect.

David Goddard

Established Member
If going to a ticket office and they say its OK to use make sure they stamp the back and endorse with the correct Railcard type.
Warning- the ink on the stamp will stay wet for about half an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.