• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Motorway services discussion

Lewisham2221

Established Member
By far the worst motorway services I've ever used Burtonwood on the M62. Litter all over the car park, outdoor bins overflowing, greasy handprints and ketchup smears all over the doors. Pretty much the same story litter wise inside. Also broken floor tiles, "out of order" signs everywhere, multiple urinals closed off with bin bags, graffiti everywhere, toilet cubicles with no locks, or no toilet seats, more graffiti, more "out of order" signs, cracked sinks, missing soap dispensers, soap and wet tissue everywhere. Absolutely disgusting. I didn't dare sample any of the catering offerings and could not get out of the place quick enough. This would be about 7-8 years ago, I somewhat hope it's received some attention since then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
As a child the Little Chef was our restaurant of choice. We had one about 20 minutes drive away and if my parents asked where we'd like to go for dinner it was always Little Chef. The magnificent 7 burger was a thing to behold, along with Jubilee pancakes and the all day breakfast. Admittedly things went massively downhill but at one time it was a decent and good value restaurant.
Little Chef was never anything special but was perfectly adequate 30 plus years ago. Since then it gradually went downhill.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Little Chef was never anything special but was perfectly adequate 30 plus years ago. Since then it gradually went downhill.
Could probably say the same about the Harry Ramsden's (fish and chips) restaurant chain.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
By far the worst motorway services I've ever used Burtonwood on the M62. Litter all over the car park, outdoor bins overflowing, greasy handprints and ketchup smears all over the doors. Pretty much the same story litter wise inside. Also broken floor tiles, "out of order" signs everywhere, multiple urinals closed off with bin bags, graffiti everywhere, toilet cubicles with no locks, or no toilet seats, more graffiti, more "out of order" signs, cracked sinks, missing soap dispensers, soap and wet tissue everywhere. Absolutely disgusting.
I agree!

JamesT

Established Member
I usually stop at Norton Canes on the M6 Toll as it’s a reasonable hop from Oxford.
The other usual stop isn’t a service station, but the Asda on the North side of Carlisle. Cheaper petrol and the cafe can usually produce something edible.

Iskra

Established Member
I used to work at Lancaster (Forton) services and Burton In Kendal services while I was at uni. Highly entertaining and varied days at work which I used to enjoy. Higher prices did reflect the higher wages paid and generous T’s & C’s due to difficulty of sourcing staff in fairly remote locations, plus the cost of staffing them 24/7 when they weren’t generally profitable overnight.

I have heard and seen that they’ve gone downhill since then and I generally avoid stopping and if I do I only use the toilet. I did stop at Hartshead Moor Eastbound a couple of months ago as a passenger on a business trip and it was a pretty poor experience.

TPO

I've noticed that of the Big Three, the Welcome Break chain has upped it's game over the past few years with refurbished toilets, Waitrose stores and generally better facilities. Moto is declining- most of their service stations which were redone about 15-20 years ago now look very "tired," and Roadchef has never been more than just about adequate for a loo stop.

The Tebay chain (Gloucester, Tebay and Cairns Lodge) are nice services, but I'd not go out my way for them when traveling as long trips I use my big van for- equipped with seats, fridge, coffee machine etc in back so quite self sufficient.

That said, all three M-way service chains compare OK to many railway stations in terms of basic facilities (and the toilets are free to use.....).

A-roads: the Eurogarages chain has IMO gone downhill a bit of late since tying in with Asda and putting prices up. Although most do have a Starbucks and a Greggs, and they are on some A-roads which previously were rather bereft of facilities (e.g. A69).

There are some OK big independant garages with facilities e.g. the BP garage on the A40 roundabout at Wilton is a better bet than the Ross Spur Eurogarage on the Ross roundabout a couple of miles before it.

All depends on what you want I suppose, for me it's the basics- toilet and parking, and possibly fuel on the A-roads. For the rest- I take a packed lunch and flask (if in car) or (for longer trips/overnights) use my van and stock up in advance.

[Nothing like the comfort of being in a well-equipped van if the traffic grinds to a halt and you're there for a couple of hours whilst they clear the debris from a collision, and knowing I have this option is for me very good at lowering stress levels on long trips.]

TPO

david1212

Established Member
Back in time from early morning until at least close to mid-day you knew you could buy a proper breakfast. After then until late a full meal of either fish or pie with chips and vegetables or beans. Not great and not cheap but it filled a hole. Now at most just a Costalottabucks coffee outlet, McDonalds or Burger King, Chozen Noodle and the like. I guess those who travel regularly know better places close to a junction. There once was a book published ' Just off the Motorway ', late 1970's I guess.

I mostly only stop to use the loo and a walk around. Occasionally eat something I have with me at the picnic area if available and weather suitable else sat in the car.

Little Thief Chef was discussed in this thread just over a year ago.
Canteen-style restaurant

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Back in time from early morning until at least close to mid-day you knew you could buy a proper breakfast. After then until late a full meal of either fish or pie with chips and vegetables or beans. Not great and not cheap but it filled a hole. Now at most just a Costalottabucks coffee outlet, McDonalds or Burger King, Chozen Noodle and the like. I guess those who travel regularly know better places close to a junction. There once was a book published ' Just off the Motorway ', late 1970's I guess.

I mostly only stop to use the loo and a walk around. Occasionally eat something I have with me at the picnic area if available and weather suitable else sat in the car.

Canteen-style restaurant
I don't think I'd want to eat a substantial meal such as a full cooked breakfast or pie and chips mid-way through a long distance motorway drive.

Many services now also have options like Greggs or Subway, as well as retail options like Waitrose or M&S for sandwiches and the like. I'm fairly sure I've been to a handful of services with Papa John's too.

The popularity of more traditional cafe/canteen style food seems to be on a huge decline, so market forces are almost certainly at play. You only have to look at the reduction of "greasy spoon" style cafes in town centres and the explosion of coffee shops, fast food outlets and the like.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Aust still calls itself "Severn View" despite the original building which had the view having been sold or leased to unrelated businesses. The current building is small and completely undistinguished, squeezed in between the car park and the filling station with no view of the river at all.
Indeed, the old restaurant did have an amazing view of the bridge.
The old services are now empty (or were in the summer) the viewing area is still there with the opening "monument", but judging by the grafiti etc, not been looked after for a number of years.

route101

Established Member
I used to work at Lancaster (Forton) services and Burton In Kendal services while I was at uni. Highly entertaining and varied days at work which I used to enjoy. Higher prices did reflect the higher wages paid and generous T’s & C’s due to difficulty of sourcing staff in fairly remote locations, plus the cost of staffing them 24/7 when they weren’t generally profitable overnight.

I have heard and seen that they’ve gone downhill since then and I generally avoid stopping and if I do I only use the toilet. I did stop at Hartshead Moor Eastbound a couple of months ago as a passenger on a business trip and it was a pretty poor experience.
Always forget about the Burton in Kendal services, don't think I've stopped at the one.

SteveM70

Established Member
I would like it to be permitted to drive in by the service entrance as long as you also leave by the service entrance within 2-3 hours

I’d be amazed if it happens. Lots and lots of complaints to National Highways about unauthorised use of the access roads to services and they have a project on the go at the moment to find a more reliable way of enforcing the ban

Tebay etc are all very well but I don't want a day out in a farm shop, I want to use the toilet and get a coffee

Then use it for that. I don’t go to Sainsbury’s for bread and cheese and complain that they also sell clothes ;) :lol:

Snow1964

Established Member
Clearly the expansion of motorway service areas is still being planned. Moto are looking at building new services on M4 at junction 16 (Swindon), would be between Membury (Welcome Break between jn 14, 15) and Leigh Delamere (Moto between jn 17, 18).

A planning application for a new service station on the M4 has been submitted for approval.
The £30 million project from Mojo Hospitality Ltd will now be decided by Wiltshire Council.
The service station would be open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and employ 150 staff members.
The proposed site, at junction 16 near Swindon in Wiltshire, would include shops for essential goods, toilets, pay phones, showers and seating areas.
The rest area would be located on 7.28 hectares of land adjacent to the M4 and immediately north of the B4005.
It would also include a filling station shop and two fuel-filling canopies, one with eight filling points for small vehicles and the other with three filling points for larger HGVs and coaches.
A new roundabout will also be built to provide access to the B4005, as reported by the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Also planning additional one near Jn 2 of M55

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Then use it for that. I don’t go to Sainsbury’s for bread and cheese and complain that they also sell clothes ;) :lol:

I still haven't forgiven Tebay for not selling paracetamol in the shop in the main building, only the garage. Hence I have an issue with the idea of a farm shop rather than a practical newsagent type shop selling journey needs.

The food isn't that amazing either. Wetherspoons standard at three times the price.

WibbleWobble

I've noticed that of the Big Three, the Welcome Break chain has upped it's game over the past few years with refurbished toilets, Waitrose stores and generally better facilities.

Warwick us our usual stop on our trips to and from the north, being broadly half way. Welcome Break has spent considerable amounts of money refurbishing the buildings, the toilets being most recently done in the last couple of years. They even supplied decent temporary loos whilst the works were undertaken. It shows in how busy the services are, often with queues leading into the car park.

Roadchef has never been more than just about adequate for a loo stop.
Roadchef often feels like managed decline. Rownhams is awful. Yet, there are some decent sites, which are noticeable due to how busy they get - Norton Canes and Strensham being the two principal cases (Norton Canes is not surprising, as that also doubles up as head office). Clacket Lane is reasonable too, Sandbach is much better since it was refurbished. They've also kept Sutton Scotney going since it was offloaded by Moto / Little Chef.

A-roads: the Eurogarages chain has IMO gone downhill a bit of late since tying in with Asda and putting prices up. Although most do have a Starbucks and a Greggs, and they are on some A-roads which previously were rather bereft of facilities (e.g. A69).

There are some OK big independant garages with facilities e.g. the BP garage on the A40 roundabout at Wilton is a better bet than the Ross Spur Eurogarage on the Ross roundabout a couple of miles before it.
Eurogarages has always been ridiculously expensive. However, they have invested in many of their sites, including Rivington on the M61 which was completely rebuilt from the ground up.

It's a pity that some sites, namely former Little Chef sites (e.g. Warminster on the A36) have been left to wither and decay. I do wonder if it is a case of needing to acquire the full site before redeveloping, as some have a petrol station owned by a third party, and/or have a budget hotel on site.

Iskra

Established Member
Always forget about the Burton in Kendal services, don't think I've stopped at the one.
Yes it’s a funny one being Northbound only. Easy to overlook due to being between famous Forton and Tebay, but it is handy as the last possible toilet stop before the main Lake District turn off. Apparently the landowner wouldn’t sell the land for a Southbound services on the opposite side, so there’s the also overlooked Roadchef Killington Lake services as a Southbound only counterpart further North.
Clearly the expansion of motorway service areas is still being planned. Moto are looking at building new services on M4 at junction 16 (Swindon), would be between Membury (Welcome Break between jn 14, 15) and Leigh Delamere (Moto between jn 17, 18).

Also planning additional one near Jn 2 of M55

There’s a new one approved near Catcliffe on the M1 too, Welcome Break apparently.

Noddy

I still haven't forgiven Tebay for not selling paracetamol in the shop in the main building, only the garage. Hence I have an issue with the idea of a farm shop rather than a practical newsagent type shop selling journey needs.

The food isn't that amazing either. Wetherspoons standard at three times the price.

Not sure where you get three times the price from. Fish and chips at spoons is about £8, at Tebay it’s about £11, and this is the most expensive item in the hot meals selection-all the others are under £10. Quality is clearly subjective but personally I would say it’s far nicer. And certainly better than a £7 or £8 on a burger or chicken from one of the major fast food outlets at other service stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure where you get three times the price from. Fish and chips at spoons is about £8, at Tebay it’s about £11, and this is the most expensive item in the hot meals selection-all the others are under £10. Quality is clearly subjective but personally I would say it’s far nicer. And certainly better than a £7 or £8 on a burger or chicken from one of the major fast food outlets at other service stations.

Without a doubt I prefer a Maccies or a Leon than their pub food.

I was exaggerating a bit at three times the price but I find it no better than Spoons and it is more expensive.

So far as I am concerned Rugby (for example) is excellent and beats any of the pretentious Westmorland ones into a cocked hat.

JamesT

Established Member
I don’t recall the price of the fish and chips, but a pork and mushroom casserole was £11.25 yesterday at Tebay. The menu at https://www.tebayservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Master_Kitchen-Menu_Online_Tebay.pdf has slightly cheaper prices, so presumably the £12.50 quoted there would also need adjusting upwards.
Personally I’d agree it’s nicer food than a McD’s or similar, it just feels a bit too much of a markup.

Noddy

I don’t recall the price of the fish and chips, but a pork and mushroom casserole was £11.25 yesterday at Tebay. The menu at https://www.tebayservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Master_Kitchen-Menu_Online_Tebay.pdf has slightly cheaper prices, so presumably the £12.50 quoted there would also need adjusting upwards.
Personally I’d agree it’s nicer food than a McD’s or similar, it just feels a bit too much of a markup.

You’re quite right, I was looking at the menu on older link that’s still on their website. Apologies, but I guess inflation is really kicking in.

Given that they’re using mostly localish suppliers (a former neighbour of mine in Gloucestershire is a supplier to Gloucester services) I’m not sure the ‘markup’ is unreasonable, and certainly no worse than the markup on the fast food chains at other services. But I guess I’m just too middle class these days!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You’re quite right, I was looking at the menu on older link that’s still on their website. Apologies, but I guess inflation is really kicking in.

Given that they’re using mostly localish suppliers (a former neighbour of mine in Gloucestershire is a supplier to Gloucester services) I’m not sure the ‘markup’ is unreasonable, and certainly no worse than the markup on the fast food chains at other services. But I guess I’m just too middle class these days!

What I do sort of wonder is if an increase in EVs will mean more services having this sort of restaurant (or even pubs, as a few have, e.g. the one with a Spoons, Lymm and Donington used to have a Harvester) as people will want to spend more time there charging rather than grab and go?

Noddy

What I do sort of wonder is if an increase in EVs will mean more services having this sort of restaurant (or even pubs, as a few have, e.g. the one with a Spoons, Lymm and Donington used to have a Harvester) as people will want to spend more time there charging rather than grab and go?

It’s certainly possible although with charging speeds increasing with every new generation of vehicle and charging point (and sometimes even with just a new software release), it’ll get to the point where you’re just tucking in to your meal and the car will have fully charged!

nlogax

Established Member
Beyond the occasional loo stop I try to avoid proper motorway service areas. The consiatent theme is overpriced food and fuel, grim facilities, crowded and disintegrating car parks. Yes, the Westmoreland areas are good but always crazy busy as previously mentioned. Cairn Lodge is my local one and rarely quiet...and it's not even on the actual motorway. So the price of unleaded at the pumps there being 30p a litre more than the local average is madness.

Preference is usually to pull off the motorway and venture maybe half a mile to a reasonable filling station. On Scotland to London runs the BP off Jct 31 of the M6 by Preston is usually just the job. Fuel is at near-sane prices and it's a lot quieter than the on-motorway areas

PeterC

Established Member
Preference is usually to pull off the motorway and venture maybe half a mile to a reasonable filling station. On Scotland to London runs the BP off Jct 31 of the M6 by Preston is usually just the job. Fuel is at near-sane prices and it's a lot quieter than the on-motorway areas
That does require local knowledge or detailed research before travelling. Take the correct turning off the M25 j28 and you are immediately at a petrol station, coffee stall and noodle bar with a pub serving food barely two minutes down the road. Wrong exit from the roundabout and you are the other side of Brentwood before you can even get off the A12.

Hint: follow the signs for Brentwood.

It's a little out of date, according to their website the noodle bar now closes on Mondays and only opens all afternoon on Sundays.

Last edited:

TPO

Canteen-style restaurant

There was a book (and website) entitled something like "The Last Mile" available a few years ago. Some interesting places but much more oriented to the leisure market than a work traveller.

I have discovered quite a few useful places when diverting around traffic queues tho.

TPO.

Snow1964

Established Member
There was a book (and website) entitled something like "The Last Mile" available a few years ago. Some interesting places but much more oriented to the leisure market than a work traveller.

I have discovered quite a few useful places when diverting around traffic queues tho.

TPO.

The book is The Extra Mile, Delicious alternatives to motorway services and there is a 2023 4th Edition available

Russel

Cambridge Extra services on the A14 is pretty decent, clean, tidy and has a McDonalds so it's possible to get some food and drink at a reasonable price.

Also, any services with a Pret get my vote as you can get a filter coffee for £1.75.

Moto is declining- most of their service stations which were redone about 15-20 years ago now look very "tired"

I think Moto are currently refreshing a lot of their sites, Tamworth was done last year and is now quite smart.

TheLunaPark

The nearest one to me is Charnock Richard on the M6 in Lancashire. It’s one of the ‘services over the carriageway’ types with a KFC and Burger King upstairs on a bridge over the motorway and then Waitrose, Starbucks and Subway etc downstairs. Because it’s quite local to me I rarely stop there but I’d say it needs completely knocking down and rebuilding. It’s clean enough and the facilities are okay but the whole site is just knackered.

One of the problems with these types of services is that when the time comes for demolition, the motorway that runs underneath needs to be closed, probably putting off Welcome Break from doing this. I think if it were to be demolished, they‘d probably just remove the bridge section and not replace it, leaving two separate Northbound and Southbound services.

Have to say, if I’m visiting family up in Scotland and it’s an early morning drive up the M6, a full English at Tebay does the job nicely!