• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving a YouTube account from a non-Gmail email address a newly created Gmail account

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
My Dad is considering moving from BT to Sky for our broadband and TV. We have been with our current provider for many years and we have set up a couple of 'sub-account' email addresses for myself and my Mum. My email account was set up in 2011 and linked I this to a YouTube/Google account in 2013 so I have also got Google Photos and Google Drive linked to this email address. If we move providers, I will loose the email address unless I pay a monthly fee of £7.50 to BT! (A recent change means I can still access it but it won't work on phone apps etc). As a result, I have created a new Gmail account. I thought it would be easy to swap my email address on my YouTube account to my new Gmail account, but when I have tried to do this, it won't let me as the new email address is already associated with a Google account. I haven't set up a YouTube account yet on this new email address.

Does anyone know whether it is possible for me to move my YouTube, Google Photos and Google Drive account over to my new Gmail email address or will I be forced to abandon the old account and start again? I've asked on the Google Community but I don't know how good they are at responding on there and I thought that someone here may have run into a similar issue? I thought it was best to link my BT account originally to save faffing around with another email address, a decision I am now regretting...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

[.n]

If memory serves me correctly - this might give you some help on where to look - you can link google accounts together, and then change the primary email address associated with them

ryan125hst

Established Member
I suspect this is a question best directed to Google's customer support team.
I've already asked the question to them but knowing that there's a number of members with a YouTube channel, I thought someone might have had the same issue at some point.
If memory serves me correctly - this might give you some help on where to look - you can link google accounts together, and then change the primary email address associated with them
I didn't realise that was possible. I'll look into it, thanks for the suggestion.

I have received a reply from a Google product expert. For anyone who finds themselves in the same situation as me, here is a link to the instructions: https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/84416018?hl=en

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought Google would have an answer. Good news that you have the info you need.

ryan125hst

Established Member
It wasn't looking promising at first as the first couple of responses didn't seem to give me the answers I needed. They then gave me the link to the instructions that I have shared here and that has done what I needed it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.